Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

LotR: Conquest (First Impretions)
Old 07 Jan 2009, 20:57   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default LotR: Conquest (First Impretions)

You remember the films don't you? Massive battle scenes that turned the film into one of the greatest made. ranks upon ranks of soldiers, sword on shield.

Now just forget everything you think a game like that would be like - LotR: conquest doesn't give you anything close to your expectations.

Now, Ive only played the demo (for around 2 hours) but it's enough to let me know that EAs latest game is a poor copy of the legendary Star wars: Battlefront of the previous generation. It's been 4 years ago since SW: BF2 graced our screnes, it's constant action, the balanced (ish) classes and the mayhem that you gained in multiplayer mode was priceless. Since then we've had the pleasure of being introduced to Call of Duty 4's create a class, the video capture and forge mode of Halo 3, interactive terrain made popular by Gears and shadowrun even gave us magic. Yet 4 years later LotRC hasn't gone leaps and bounds from the game it was based on.

Create a custom class? Nope. Choose a specific weapon arangement for the standard classes? Nada. Able to record your games for shits and giggles? Or have a camera to show how you died? Neither. Able to hug the cover or even duck? Ha! Theres still invisible walls, and theres no button to run. Absolutely ****ing nothing. I was all up for having some evidence for having an RPG style system - but it barely seems like the current innovations have come to their attention. Grand.

So... it's a matter of sticking to the basics and making them shine, right? Well, they haven't been able to do that right either. The classes in the game are perfect examples of how to muck up balance. Take the warrior for example - just know the enemy over and you can keep on slashing away and they can't get up. It becomes degraded into nothing more than who hits who the hardest and first. However, the mage never seems to do anything but block arrows and heal a bit of health, with no auto aim charging up a spell usually misses, and if you do hit they are going to be pounding your brains out before you can recharge. And same goes for the archers - no auto aim on a console makes one shot weapons in an already hectic game (btw - crosair is just shoddy) And whats worse is that they are all copies from Battlefront - the mage has the engineers old primary attack....

Am I the only one that thinks that this is just half baked? Or is there much, much more to come?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 00:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: LotR: Conquest (First Impretions)

no your not the only one thinking it's half baked, the sound of the game alone is pretty terrible, but, the good news is that battlefront 3 IS in developement so it's only a matter of time ^-^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos master
battlefront 3 IS in developement so it's only a matter of time ^-^ .

Thats what they have said about Duke Nukem Forever...
Old 09 Jan 2009, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

SILK! Dont jinx BF3! :P *cries*

No but on topic I hate that game, EA has not been doing to well for itself for ages now and this game is another prime example of moneygrabbing and nothing to do with enjoyment factors.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Downloaded the demo today, but havn't had the chance to try it out yet.

EA annoys me. On one hand, they are good in that they get good games published (see Mirror's edge) but on the other hand they seemed determined to destroy PC gaming (malware "secrurom")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 02:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

To be honest, your comprehensive list of all those things that LOTR: Conquest leaves me feeling that you've played too many RPGs. :P

Anyway, I'll probally enjoy it. To be honest, Battlefront II failed me in many, many, many ways, but I still get a kick out of playing it four-player on a good ol' land map (space battles... sucked.) Even if this game fails to innovate anything, that still means it'll be a fun game if not anything groundbreaking or amazing.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ya I always thought battlefront 1 was better than 2(even though 2 amazed me for about a week after I got it i reverted back to one soon after that.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 12:11   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

LotRC isn't "just a game to have a laugh on" We have Halo, Team fortress, Gears, Left for dead, and Call of Duty, to name but a few. It's an abomination! No matter how you play it's just a massive amount of dissapointment and frustration. As soon as you think you've figure something out you're two steps back.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 12:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Played the demo - not impressed. The "aiming" system is utter shit, the classes are rather poor - there is no point trying to play archer against a mage and a swordsman - the mage just covers the warrior until you are close enough to beat the archer down.

Archers seem to only function against each other - and its a matter of who shoots fast enough.

Scout seems pointless, the invisibility is rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Am I the only one who disagrees? Aight, I'll try and get through all this...

1) The epicness, on LIVE, is shit. I definitely agree with you guys on that. But in the actual training, it was impressive. I think the actual campaign will have some really cool stuff in there, don't forget it's only a demo. I do wish they had thrown some more people into online games, though.

2) As for the aiming system, it's not a shooter game. I think too many people treat it like that (considering how many times I've spawned on teams with 6 archers : ). There needs to be some balance between melee and shooting classes, which is why no autoaim. And for the record, you can run. I honestly wouldn't expect custom classes or intricate cover systems in a game like this. Again, I say it is not a shooter. It can't really be treated like that (even though God knows I loves a good shooter!)

3) I think class balance plays an important part in the game. It's different than Battlefront, in that each class can be countered with other combos. As Jaina pointed out, a mage with some bodyguard can trump an archer because you can't get past his shield. However, a scout is an awesome way for sneaking in and killing the mage, exposing his friends.... it's all a system. Spawning as the same class over and over and over again isn't going to work, people need to switch things up. Archers can do very well in the right situations. Scouts are tricky to use, the invisibility is hard to utilize well and backstabbing takes some practice. But when you're good, you can sneak through enemy lines, capture flags with ease or take down priority targets (like the Witch-King :P ). Yeah, the Warrior can beat people up well in combat (I do agree the whole knockdown system can get really bugged sometimes). So don't let him get there! Mages can back up and fire constantly to kill him, archers have plenty of special arrows to utilize that can slow him down... there are certainly options, you just have to be able to adapt to the situations there.

Could it be better? Hell yes. Hell ****ing yes, EA really could've done a lot better with this (but I say that about most games that have come out this year). But I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. It's not a shooter, it's not an RPG. You can't expect the game to be something it really isn't... I'd recommend trying it out more, mess around with the classes and think a bit. A little thought when selecting your class can go a long way, and you'll quickly learn the intricacies or each if you experiment a bit. Obviously, if you haven't played training yet go give that a shot too... campaign is a totally different feel, and you learn all the classes abilities.