• ATI Radeon HD 3870 GPU
  • 2 GB Kingston RAM

[hr]

Graphics Settings:
  • All Qualities on Maximum
  • 1440x900

[hr]

Preface:
Before I begin, I'd like to comment on what a fan I was of the Red Alert lineage. The original game was one of the first games I played for a great period, and I still play RA2 frequently.

Graphics:
Objectively, the graphics aren't bad. The water effect looks massively over-detailed, and at times you can't tell if a unit is submerged or not. On land, things are kept fairly simple and decently crisp.

The game falls utterly flat, however, on the visual style of the units. Not one looks like a serious soldier or military vehicle, and far from the over-the-top style we began to see in Red Alert 2 with some of the special units, nothing even looks high tech or retro; they just look silly. I half expected to see a ****ing turn-key to wind up the Apocalypse tank!

The special abilities of most units look ridiculous, like some kind of magic power from an MMO.

The only visual element I can complement the game on are it's cinematics; the actors are unanimously big-name (or big-breasted), and they spared no expense with the visuals for the cutscenes.

Sound:
The unit voices aren't bad. Some of them are even an upgrade; they went back to the "gruff mechanic" style of voice for the Engineer rather than the insatiably irritating "nerd-on-the-battlefield" voice. The Soviet actors also pull off the accents pretty well. And hey, it has Hell March 3.

My only major complaint is the voices for the Rising Sun (Japanese) forces; I understand that they have to distinguish them in some manner, but some of the unit speech choices and voice actors come off as ham-handed "LOL THEY R ASIAN" proclamation at best and overt racism at worst.

Story:
I haven't played far into the game yet, so I'll reserve commentary here for now. It throws you into the action and re-writes history with a single opening cutscene; from a Red Alert game, I would expect no less, and they deliver. After that into movie, I was stoked for how the game would play out.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is an insult to the franchise. The battlefield view is awkward, building placement feels arbitrary, and the mishmash of special abilities and mechanical changes makes the game not only utterly confusing but also gives it effectively no synergy with the other Red Alert games. Moreover, the proliferation of amphibious units destroys most of the importance of water, and perma-hover flying units are far unlike the sensible mechanics of previous games (not to mention that the game awkwardly renders their movement trail along the ground and draws their shadows well away from the actual location).

Experience:
I went in with boundless excitement and came away with boundless disappointment and ire. Shame on you, Evil Arts, you worthless, miserable cretins.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Red Alert 3

It's not that bad. The gameplay and visual design of the units pales compared to RA2, but the sound is great and the storyline is typically hammy and awesome.

I've not done the Rising Sun campaign yet, but I've finished the Allies one and the Soviets.

Interestingly, it's rather obvious that Jonathan Pryce, the British commander, was in Pirates of the Caribbean - as the Governor. But what's less obvious is the lady who plays the blonde Russian commander was *also* in PotC - she's the blonde who slaps Jack/Will in Tortuga and does little else ;D

I must say she looks a helluva lot better in her Russian air commander uniform
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2009, 01:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You cant tell when your units are submerged?
I play this on the 360 and can easily tell, just remember the golden rule if comrade Akula is darker then comrade Akula is submerged.

i'm dissapointed to see you said nothing about the funny little random speechs (then again i did the same in my left4dead so...beh)
Like on the lake Geneva mission when the Allies get a Navy into the swiss "lake" a random conscript goes "How they get an aircraft carrier in here? it would take many men and much time to carry!" haha had me in stitches....

Also the water can be over detailed? umm can you over detail water? I mean anyone whos playe the pirates of the carribean game on the original xbox and pc would have to agree that the water effects on that were stunning for such a low gen time compared to now...

I found the game quite enjoable.... please bear in mind this is from someone who HATES RTS especially of the CNC variety.
I'm too tired to say anything else except good review
Old 01 Jan 2009, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The water looks spectacular while the rest of the game doesn't seem to shine as much. I believe that that is what he is getting at, and in that respect, I agree. Though, the water itself does look very pretty. I have only played the demo though, and wait for RA3 to be on the cheap before I buy it :P
Old 03 Jan 2009, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've only played it on ultra-low visual quality, but even then it looks pretty damn good. Honestly I just don't use the special abilities for the most part, and I don't really care. The gameplay seems decent overall, though oil derricks are very important.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2009, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I loved RA2. It was one of the first games I had played. I was really looking forward to playing this game. I hope that you have exaggerated with what you have said or I will be a sad gamer.

If you agree that: Dieing tickles, copy this into your signature.

The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there!

These black dots are itchy!

Frag Weak, Hurdle the Dead!

Pwner has become the pwned!
Grimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 03:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

The biggest problem I found was the lack of funds, you gain money so slowly, I usually end up in a stalemate after my initial funds run out.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 04:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Shas, are you playing campaign or skirmish? In skirmish I always make it a priority to expand and capture new sites as quickly as possible, then once I have 70% of the resources I can easily muscle the enemy out with sheer power.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 05:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Expansion is key to an RTS game. I have to force myself not to turtle. Turtle = death.
Old 04 Jan 2009, 12:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa
Expansion is key to an RTS game. I have to force myself not to turtle. Turtle = death.
You have clearly never played Supreme Commander.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote