Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Left 4 dead Review
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Left 4 dead Review

Left 4 dead is a post apocalyptic 1st person shooter survival horror co-op game for the xbox360 and pc (to my knowledge)

Left4Dead features 4 survivors in a "fictional" city and around the city that are immune to a Zombie Epademic that has spread throughout the city it also contains alot of jokes from other zombie films if you have a good enough eye for them.
Now onto the actual game (yes that was the story). The game is split into 4 chapters with 4 levels and 1 "Finale" Level each.
So far i have played an Airfield and Urban Enviroment so far, Both were very fun if not at times frustrating experiences.
The controls are well designed except for the crouch button being the LB button on the 360 controller, when im firing away at a brain munching horde and want teammates to shoot at head height LB is not the first control that springs to mind.
Overlooking that the Game mimics the style of Half lifes control scheme and Team Fortress also. So if you played either of these games you should get the nack pretty quick.

The theme is zombies and we arent talking about your shuffle shuffle rawr rawr zombies Its the actually scary running around frothing at the mouth gimme all your brainzez zombies from the newer series of movies and games based of our undead buddys ^^.
Now while hardcores may find this annoying because we can no longer unload china's arsenal into the horde and laugh out loud at the pitful attempts to catch us, i find that the theme of the undead suits the gameplay...and the fact that you DO get china's military arsenal.

The guns.
At the start of each "level" your in a safe room with the following... Shotgun or Uzi, Health pack and ammo stash.
The shotgun soon became my personal faveroute as who wants a machine gun against a man wanting your brain as a cuisine? Its the classical anti-zombie gun!
im sorry i got carried away in a world of blood...
Anyway, The shotgun is a classical pump action 8 shot shell by shell reload and the Uzi is pray and spray or reversed pending how good you are at the game.
There are 3 other weapos that are usually located half way through the level
an Assaultrifle essentially the Uzi with accuracy good for crowd control at distances, theres an Automaticshotgun my wet dream essentially and a sniper rifle thats really oonly useful against the boss zombies. (more on them later)

The Characters,
As much as i try to, and thats a lot trust me, I cant be emotionally attached to Bill th vietnam veteran,Francis the biker dude who i secretly think is gay, Lewis...or Louis who is the only Black person in the game his role to me just screams an attempt at racial equality, and Zoey the young college girl with a sexy voice and model ;p.
The story doesnt involve them other than they are the only real survivors left in the game, sadly this game doesnt have a story apart from heres a gun heres some zombies have fun kids (with a big grin and a thumbs up might i add)

The AI,
The AI in this game are really good in my opinion and im sure you shall agree with me. Well for a gibbering horde that is...
The zombies and bosses are controlled by the mysterious AI Director AI that controls when and where there is ammo health pickups and zombies... with a bit to much of a preference for the zombies but oh well.
He is sometimes the target of many vulgar insults from me and my teammates especially when he throws the Tank boss zombie at uss who is a behemoth to kill.

Anyway im not going to ruin it anymore apart from saying this game is a co-op game, your alone your gonna die...quickly.
And due to the fact that alot of the time your gonna be screaming into the mic (or at the telly if your an offline player) for backup or help means this game is ....fun.
I cant really critisize it apart from the fact that the graphics could be a bit better but im not a graphics whore so that doesnt really matter to me.
If you want fun grab 3 mates get together and play on the highest difficulty (which isnt very unless theres a Tank or Witch)
Just remember to forwarn your neighbours that any screaming coming from the house is nothing important, believe me this game can make you scream in surprise or fright...

All in all i'd give it a 9 out of 10 this being due to the amazing amount of glitches people can do take the fun out of the game and the graphics being dated.
9/10

I hope you all enjoyed this review CnC is welcomed.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Left 4 dead Review

I've absolutely adored every second of gameplay I've had in left for dead since I bought it, and its good to read other people appreciating it as much as it deserves. The game is at its best by far in the versus mode, and its the only multiplayer game on xbox live I've found that really encourages people to form a "team spirit" with other random players and have a good laugh (I've only come across one D'yime so far, which is negligable compared to halo 3's track record).

I think people are overly harsh on the graphics. They're not gears 2 quality, but few things are, and its important to remember the amount of units it has on screen at any time is actually pretty phenominal with very little frame rate loss even in the most intense moments. The graphical detail isnt just in pretty pixels though, theres alot to be said for the way the zombies lean into corners when they run and the way they scramble to get up fences. Theres alot of detail going on in the way each model moves, and theres ALOT of zombies coming at you at one time. I think it does a fantastic job considering.

Oh, you mentioned Zoey's sexy voice. She's voiced by Jen Taylor, the same woman who did Cortana in Halo 3 :P
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah well im trying to attempt to become a proffessional reviewer and I hate to nit pick but ive got to say everything I can think of that comes to mind at the time.
I should of mentioned the dynamic lighting wich is FANTASTIC by the way.

...yeah and cortana was sexy not that i condone anything with AI....
Old 29 Dec 2008, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Uses the same control scheme as TF2 because it's made by Valve.

Didn't know that bout Zoey though.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

First of all I think that part of the graphics not being amazing is so that you do not get as much lag and so that you can run it with a lower end machine (but that is more for PC players). Besides the graphics are pretty good. I have not found the game too glitchy, unless you mean things like being able to stand in a corner bashing away thousands of zombies, but on expert or sometimes even advanced, that is still not enough to keep you alive. This is one of the few games (and I have played quite a few) where you really need to work as a team. This is definitely one of my favourite games.

If you agree that: Dieing tickles, copy this into your signature.

The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there!

These black dots are itchy!

Frag Weak, Hurdle the Dead!

Pwner has become the pwned!
Grimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:27   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Played the PC mode with my friends, and it is perhaps the game that we played the most in the cyber cafes these days.

The witch is a bitch, the tank is crazy, and damn the Hunter and Smoker combo. But it is a fun game to play, especially when the horde starts to come in and some of your friends started asking you to help them get up and stuff like that. The game is best played with your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 16:10   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
The controls are well designed except for the crouch button being the LB button on the 360 controller
Feel free to go into your options menu and change it. Config 4 has the crouch button as the left stick. However, I will admit that being able to customise all the controls would be more preferable.

Quote:
The guns.
At the start of each "level" your in a safe room with the following... Shotgun or Uzi, Health pack and ammo stash.
On a good few levels youactually get the stronger weapons at the start of them level instead.

Quote:
The shotgun soon became my personal faveroute as who wants a machine gun against a man wanting your brain as a cuisine? Its the classical anti-zombie gun!
whilst I will admit that the pump action shotgun does have the upper hand over the Uzi the M16 and the sniper rifle make good cases for themselves when up against the auto-shotgun. The M16 takes only two shots to kill a single zombie at any range, and the sniper rifle can fire through zombies, killing all.

Quote:
I cant be emotionally attached to Bill th vietnam veteran, Francis the biker dude who i secretly think is gay, Lewis...or Louis who is the only Black person in the game his role to me just screams an attempt at racial equality, and Zoey the young college girl with a sexy voice and model ;p.
It's Bill's stubborness and grumpyness that makes him the decent character that he is. Just listen to some of his commentary and you begin to realise just how much life he has. In fact any of them have. And how do you equate big hard biker bloke to being gay? Bear in mind that he is based off of the producer of the game and comes with a "hells legion" undivided tattoo. Louis is in the game to represent the average working man - he's still in his office clothes, still got his tie and rolex. Where Bill and Francis are used to the violence and drama (and zoey having seen waaay too many Zombie flicks) Louis is that 9 to 5 bloke who you meet on the street. Zoey, gotta love zoey. Spending her uni time watching Zombie films and then being thrown into the real thing has gotta be good news.

Anyways - I reckon, for an online shooter, the characters have the best personalities out there. The way that the conversations take place seemingly at random (Francis "I hate camping" Bill: "Is there anything you don't hate?") and yet become as in depth as a movie scene throught the game makes the characters breathe.

You can't just wave away the characters in the game, they are as intengral to the enjoyment of the game as the director Ai.

Quote:
The story doesnt involve them other than they are the only real survivors left in the game,
Thats not precisely true. In the end rooms you'll encounter graffiti on the walls of notes left for previous survivors that have passed through the game. I seriously suggest reading them next time you go through the game as it provides some insight on just what is happening and gives some light on the people of the world. Put that in combination of the few dead survivors that you meet and the barricades they have put up (remeber the house in the second episode? Just think what happened in that seige) and the numerous last stands throught the game and the story of the game unfurls. Yes, it isn't as obvious as some games, but just take not of your surroundings and you'll be shown the evidence of the chaos that the city is in.

Quote:
The zombies and bosses are controlled by the mysterious AI Director AI that controls when and where there is ammo health pickups and zombies... with a bit to much of a preference for the zombies but oh well.
It's worht mentioning that this means that every time you and your mates play through the level you can never rely on anything. Where has the Ai placed the witch? Is there gonig to be 2 tanks? Do I need to conserve ammo or go guns blazing? The Ai takes the stress levels of each individual player and the team as the whole so if one person is seriously struggling then they won't be the target of character zombie. Similary if the team is doing well as a whole then hordes will be thrown their way more frequently and with more numbers.

I cannot praise Valves development of the Ai enough - every time I play through a level everything is different, im forced to explore to get those pain pills, I'm never expecting a weapon pick up around the corner and the lack of tank constantly makes me nervous. It's so balanced and so engrossing im not suprised that I haven't touch gears of war since christmas.

Quote:
All in all i'd give it a 9 out of 10 this being due to the amazing amount of glitches people can do take the fun out of the game and the graphics being dated.
Glitches can be fixed. And knowing Valve will be fixed. And as for grapics - why do you think people still play doom?? Do they play it for awesome graphics? Or do they play it because it is the definition of a shooter that has stood the test of time?

L4D is one of those games that when we are on the PS4, the Xbox 720 and the latest bundle from nintendo it will still be played. When said new consoles are released players will be demanding that a new version be made to keep going on their new consoles.

If you have Xbox Live, buy L4D. It's a riot, it's constanly challenging and totally engrossing.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 16:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well ive got to agree with everything you said there...
however about the "good" guns spawning in other levels in the safe rooms, Yeah i know they do its just i didnt really want to spoil the game too much :/

also about the characters, well yeah i guess I was a bit too harsh on that aspect but then again its one of those games i play online with my friends and we tend to just talk ALL the time, so i missed out a lot of what was said, haha i do remember one time in an Elevator Zoey was bitching about how the zombies could run...

And about the review in completness, this was my first review that i have put down to pen and paper, thanks for the comments im going to rememer to add the more little things for my next one...
Old 31 Dec 2008, 05:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Thats not precisely true. In the end rooms you'll encounter graffiti on the walls of notes left for previous survivors that have passed through the game. I seriously suggest reading them next time you go through the game as it provides some insight on just what is happening and gives some light on the people of the world. Put that in combination of the few dead survivors that you meet and the barricades they have put up (remeber the house in the second episode? Just think what happened in that seige) and the numerous last stands throught the game and the story of the game unfurls. Yes, it isn't as obvious as some games, but just take not of your surroundings and you'll be shown the evidence of the chaos that the city is in.
Not to mention - some of them are really quite funny (in a dark way I suppose, but I've had a good chuckle. Especially the:
"It takes over 24 hours to become one of them!
10 hours
4 hours
I've seen it happen in 2 minutes!!"

(All of those being scribbles 'corrected' by other people as they pass)
Old 31 Dec 2008, 09:43   #10 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

There's also the survivor you find in the church in Death Toll, even though you never see him until after hes turned.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote