Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer Online
Old 21 Dec 2008, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Warhammer Online

This has probally already been discussed, but my search results turned up nill. I'm, surprised at the lack of threads since WAR's launch. :P

Anyway, who here plays, played, wants to play, etc., and what do ya'll think about it? Also, we could share character names and servers. I'm sure some of you guys have this absoloutely fantastic MMO.

So far, I think it's the best think to happen to MMOs since the invention of the computer. Alright, alright, it's not THAT amazing, but I do really like the game thus far. Coming from my past two MMOs, Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes/Villians, I wasn't sure how I'd like the PvP that is prevalent throughout this game, having had bad experiences with harrassers and the 'duel meh' type that so many despise, but I'm very impressed. The two factions, Order and Destruction, to not interact in any way outside of smacking each other down in a variety of situations and enviorments across the entire game; there is no communcation between the teams, no trash talk, and the combat feels very balanced. I've heard reviews say that it makes PvP feel like PvE, and I heartily agree; the game effectively removes pretty much every reason why someone would not enjoy combat against other players and accentuates the positives to such unpredictable combat.

I've got a Shadow Warrior, nearly rank 29, on the server 'Red Eye Mountain' named Thiese.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 23:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Warhammer Online

I'm also pretty suprised, and I'm getting the game in 4 days time. Not sure what server to go on but will either be a Shadow Warrior or a Dark Elf Witch/Black Guard. I assume then that it is good? And more importantly is there any talk of a Skaven playable faction?

Looking for Imperial Guard bits and bobs, UK prefered but anything else is workable.
Commander Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:49   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Would like to give it a go, but I can't get a free trial, and what with the cost/time for Eve, I doubt I'll be able to.

Problem is, like most MMO's, its got all the things I don't like (sharded servers, safety) that attracts me to eve.

Still, I wanna sexy dark elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I still see no reason to stop playing guildwars to be honest - yes you can be a sexy dark elf, but how much work does it require to get said armour and your max level before you can get into the meat of the game.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 09:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

WAR is great because you can get straight into pvping. I can make a lvl 1 and do scenarios and fare decently. It's so great. I do most of my leveling up through pvp.

Commander Darkmoon if you want you can join my server Praag. I have a personal guild there so I can use standards (free invuln for 15 seconds plus upgradable passive benefits) and you're welcome to join. I'll be able to help you with quests and information and I'll make a level 1 toon to we can do quests and pvp together. I have a vent we can use as well. When you get a higher level you can use one of my standards too, they're freakin awesome plus people will think you're an alt of somebody stronger because nobody low level gets a standard.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats definitly something, and by standards are we talking like flags or moral standards? I assume flags because WAR will not have 15secs invunrability just for helping an old lady cross a road.

Looking for Imperial Guard bits and bobs, UK prefered but anything else is workable.
Commander Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Problem is, like most MMO's, its got all the things I don't like (sharded servers, safety) that attracts me to eve.
I don't see how safety is a bad thing. For one thing I'm paying a monthly fee for the game, I really shouldn't lose all the months of hard work that I PAID for in minutes to some jackass griefer with an exploitative PvP build he found on the internet. :

Only masochists would find that kinda crap "fun".

In either case, I haven't played WAR, and in fact I heard the game wasn't very popular at all and was on the verge of dying for some reason.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:59   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Only masochists would find that kinda crap "fun".
And? :P

Seriously, though, I like the element of danger. Means you have to think more about leaving the "safe" port/tavern or whatever.

Although its not a system that would work in a MMO like WAR to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 14:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I'm happy enough with the danger of just walking out the front door, I play games to escape reality, not remind myself of how painful loss can be when I already know full well how much it SUCKS BALLS.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Darkmoon
I'm also pretty surprised, and I'm getting the game in 4 days time. Not sure what server to go on but will either be a Shadow Warrior or a Dark Elf Witch/Black Guard. I assume then that it is good? And more importantly is there any talk of a Skaven playable faction?
Black Guard were added in an update just recently (Hammerers, Choppaz, Black Guard, and Knight of the Blazing were all removed from the initial launch, but since then the latter two have been reimplemented). They do seem pretty good. Well, I'd actually call them irritating as hell, but I'm the one fighting them so that's high praise. :P

As for Shadow Warriors, they rock.

There's already talk of expansions (at first I thought this sounded dumb and just greedy but some say that WAR is looking into free expansions, probally more like the major, but nevertheless free, updates in MMOS like City of Heroes), but nothing about Skaven, yet. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
I still see no reason to stop playing guildwars to be honest - yes you can be a sexy dark elf, but how much work does it require to get said armour and your max level before you can get into the meat of the game.
I was actually surprised concerning this; I was expecting your typical grind fest until you get to the sweet end-game. I've not even hit the 'meat' of the game, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. The max level actually comes pretty fast compared to other MMOs, and often I don't even realize the Experience points trickling in as I enjoy massive battles over castle walls and the like.

Kara, the safety you talk of is actually possible to eliminate. There are several servers, two of which are some of the most populated in the game, which are specified as 'Open RvR.' In these servers the combat is not limited to the battlefields or instanced scenarios, but anytime, anywhere you can be jumped by or jump a player of the enemy realm; every player of the other faction is attackable, there is no 'flag' that can be toggled off if you want to be left alone to quest. In the lower level zones the two sides are kept somewhat apart by (somewhat) difficult to cross mountain ranges, but as the game progresses it becomes easier and easier to do battle with the other faction. These servers are dedicated to PvP (or RvR as it is called in WAR) more so than the rest of the game, with the only safe area being your faction's capital city (which is only safe until the other side is at it's walls banging on the gate...), and your rank 1 'tutorial' area, where players have a small zone of safety to learn the game. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote