Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2008, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3?

I've been given the opportunity to receive either an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3 for Christmas this year. As of this point, I'm not even sure I want either of them, but assuming I do I'd be interested in receiving some help in deciding which one to choose.

Cost of the initial console is not a deciding factor (though I'll likely receive the lower end spec as those are the ones most often offered in bundle deals at the moment) but cost of games and peripherals (i.e. costs that I'll have to handle myself) will likely factor into it.

My gaming preferences tend to be survival horror (in particular the Resident Evil series) and light gun games (though these tend to be covered well by my Wii), and I'd rather have a multiplayer game than a single player-only game. That doesn't mean I won't play other games, but those tend to be the ones I come back to, particularly the multiplayer games.

I'm not particularly aware of what each system offers, with respect to unique games (i.e. that platform only), unique hardware (such as internet connectivity) and unique faults or issues so I'd be grateful if people could explain (or at the very least point me towards something that does) the specifications of each machine.

Also, I'd be interested in recommendations for games for either console, particularly games unique to that console only.

As an aside, I already have a Wii, so that is not being considered at all (I wuvs me my Smash Bros :-*).

Can anyone help me out?
[hr]
Old 09 Dec 2008, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3?

I'd personally put it down to the games:

360:
Mass effect
Gears of war 1+2
Fable 2

Those three games alone are enough to stop me from wanting to replace my 360.

PS3:
Metal gear 4
and...
Old 09 Dec 2008, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Aye, the differences between consoles when you're not getting a fanboy arguement going really come down to game exclusives.

Look at the list, and see what exclusives you like the look of more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 17:44   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

There really isn't a "best" system, they all do something really well and each one is geared toward a different type of player.

Having said that, I just saw a review that broke it down this way:

If you like group/party oriented games or are a "softcore gamer" go with the Wii.

If you want the best shooters and the largest exclusive title list go with 360.

If you want lots of neat accessories like Blue Ray and the best 'tech' go with PS3.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 17:54   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

If I had to choose I'd get the PS3 simply because I've been using those controllers most of my life. :P
Old 09 Dec 2008, 18:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've noticed that the 360 tends to have more Popular Culture games. The PS3 is catching up, but it came out a bit early for a prime library to be in place for it.

I have a friend who has had 3 360's in a row give him the Red Ring of Death. Needless to say, he is not a big fan of the hardware.

I loved Fable, but have heard very little positive about Fable 2, unfortunately. For me, the 360 exists for Dead Rising and Halo 3(and one Ace Combat game). That's really about it. Of course, I am pretty picky about games, and usually have a substantially smaller library than most. I enjoy strategy and RPG games, with the very rare adventure title, and almost no FPS(I think Halo, Half-life 1, Fallout 3 and L4D are it).

The PS3 is a good system for the extra tech -- I use mine as an entertainment center for my house, and it handles the sound and HD graphics eminently well. My housemate has even bought himself PS3 games to play on my machine when I'm not using it. Mine is also backwards compatible, which is by far the coolest thing for me, but I have heard rumblings that later versions aren't. That may be something to check on.

I don't know what kind of browsing capability the 360 has, but the PS3 seems to have a competent browser and is able to play a variety of media on it. I can also play audio and video files from my flash drives through the USB ports on the device, which is pretty sweet.

As far as exclusive games go, that will change in time. I really liked the look of Condition Zero, and it did eventually come out for the PS3. The industry is vascillating on the viability of exclusives right now, and could go either way. Dead Rising came out for the Wii, and Lost Planet came out for PS3, despite Capcom's earlier statement that it would be a 360 exclusive. I really don't think there's enough money in exclusive titles for developers to cut out the other two platforms. With rumors of DR for PS3, I'm content to stay with my system for the forseeable future.

Midnight, karma for such a informed, nicely written, and unbiased review. Its rare to see good unbiased ones kara
Old 09 Dec 2008, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Midnight the older PS3s are backwards compatible but I've been told that the new ones are not. Sony was apparently trying to cut expenses to be more competitive price wise.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Right, let's see...

The X-Box 360's major strengths are... none existant. Not any more.

X-Box Live costs money. PSN is free.

X-Box has Halo 3 and Gears of War 2. PSN has MGS4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet.

Let me reiterate that one; the PS3 has LittleBigPlanet. The sheer brilliance of this game cannot be stressed enough.

As much as I personally love Gears of War 2, most of the "real" X-Box players I chat to on gaming sights spend almost as much time slagging it off as they do MGS4. As such, I can only conclude the X-Box literally has nothing going for it now; Halo 3 is very, very old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Dec 2008, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

And there we have the arguement from a fanboy point of view. As much as you make good points, you ruin it by slagging of the other console for no need.

Your points are no different than what an xbot would say "live costs, but is a better service" "you might have resistance, but we have gears and halo (amongst others)"

Its all relative based on your favourite console, and slagging off the other doesn't help thespian with his decision. And clearly the xbox does still have strengths, as its been out selling the ps3 in recent months.

So lets keep comments helpful and not let this turn into a battleground :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 19:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

A year ago, I'd say xbox 360 without a doubt. A month ago, I'd think about it, and then conclude on the 360.

Today? PS3.

The xbox 360 had the advantage of being out first, and so has a much larger library of games. It was and still is cheaper than the PS3. It gets on average more, better games than the PS3. Xbox live is also a very good system, even though it SHOULD be free. (Xbox live would suck if it weren't for the mute player feature...)

What does the 360 not have? Realiability. Mine has never RRoD, and I count myself lucky for that, but has no video for some reason, which is leading me towards either buying a new one, or openning it up and fixing it myself (And modding it, while I'm at it >)

The cost of getting a new 360 if yours RRoD or no videos likes mine, really puts the cost advantage to the PS3. I hear it is slower, but always reliable (Confirm?).

Also, it is catching up games wise, so that's a point off of the xbox.

PSN is free (And the wii's online is free, hence the xbox live should be free), but from what I hear, not as good over all as xbox live. But it's free! If you buy xbox live every year, that also swings the price factor towards the PS3.

It really depends though, on preference. If I can't fix my 360, I'm getting a new one. I like the games, and don't want to start a whole new collection of PS3 games and in effect, starting over.