Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dungeons and Dragons advice
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Dungeons and Dragons advice

So, I'm getting a Dungeons and Dragons group together. None of us have ever played before, and I have copies off all the materals and have been reading through them. We've got 2 guys and 3 girls who are interested in playing (Yes. 3 girls.), and that seems like an optimal sized group.

So how should I get this stuff started? Is it a big deal for everyone to take turns being DM, especially if it is a long planned campaign with lots of twists and turns? Or should we let each person DM one quest part of a campaign? Are pre-packaged campaigns good to start out with, or is it ok to start off on our own?

Anything else I should know?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons advice

My suggestion would be that you get a campaign book (preferably a level 1-5 campaign) and start with that. Designate one DM (best if it's a neutral and creative person) for the duration of the campaign.

If you've got a prolonged campaign, you probably want the same DM for the whole campaign. But that doesn't mean that you can't switch off during the next campaign.

Anyway, D&D pre-packaged campaigns are pretty good. They're typically pretty involved and detailed and offer a good structure for new players.

Best of luck.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

In Dnd usually there is one DM for the entire campaign and the players all keep the same character ( unless they die or retire or something)

also about the pre packaged stuff, they're good but i think if you make up your own stuff whether you make up your own world or you use FR or eberron, using your own adventures seems just better because you know how you want stuff to go and its easier to make stuff up on the fly if a snag happens, and also what edition are you playing?

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm, ok makes sense since if the DM planned secret surprises, he'd have to tell the new DM when he switched off, and then he would know, which would kind of kill the whole deal.

We've got plenty of people who are very creative and epic writers, but since none of us have played I think I'll get a campaign book for our first started campaign.

How important are the miniatures that they sell? I've heard it can be played on graph paper, is this viable? If not, is it ok to just use some miniatures I'll make from 40k and WHFB parts? I assume yes, but ya never know.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

It depends. YOu can play 3.5 and earlier with no miniatures or grids at all, and 4.0 NEEDS minis and grids. and the DnD ones you dont really need to buy, any will do. and you MUST get the three core books at first. monster manual, players guide, Dungeon masters guide. if you dont have those, then it'll be very hard to play.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

We'll be playing 4th ed. In that case, I shall whip up some minis for the group. I've got the core books. Can the other players get by with just the Player's Handbook, while the DM has the DM guide and there is a group Monster Manual?
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it doesnt matter who owns them, just as long as during game play the players can have access to PHB, the DM can only and shall not let the players see the MM, and the DM should have the DM's guide on hand.

also IMHO 3.5 is a lot better >.<

Beastlord Gorthor

Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, I suppose it says that somewhere (I havn't finished reading everything).

Put it this way; is 4th ed or 3.5 easier? Our group is all IB High School Students, with not a lot of time- we can spare a couple hours every weekend to play, but want to get going quick and have lots of fun with not too much time spent messing with rules.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm pretty sure that 4.0 is the easier version as rules were simplified.

Beastlord Gorthor

Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

3.5, though, is the better version. I know a number of players who still use 3.5 because they're unhappy with 4.0's changes.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote