Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Medieval II Total War...
Old 29 Nov 2008, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Medieval II Total War...

...is just immense. I just had a battle, as part of my campaign to lead to Danes in their conquest of Europe. I had a full unit of mounted Feudal Knights and two units unmounted. That was it. The enemy was at the top of the hill with an army's worth of artillery - catapult, ballistas etc
I charged up the hill, my men blinded by the fog and rain, lightning illuminating thier silver plated helms and their horses barding. Behind the cavalry charge men stumbled up the muddy hill eager for blood.

Machine Head was playing - loudly. Davidian.

Volley after volley of incoming fire went wide - the occassional boulder crushing a crowd of men at a time, but unable to stop the charge. The men manning the artillery braced themselves for the charge with the terrain advantage theirs. It mattered not, the Danish behemoth slammed into their ranks and wiped them out to the last man.

Epic win.

Now I am assaulting the third Russian city, a horde of Viking Raiders come from the coast are going to scale the city walls with countless siege ladders. 8)

I will try to find pictures, but the folder they're meant to end up in doesn't seem to be there...
Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Medieval II Total War...

I suck at medieval - I don't know whether it has a steep learning curve but when ever I move an army out of my city I innevitably get attacked there.... It's rather annoying!!

And I can't grasp the controls of the battles - it's all very confusing and having to think ahead to know when your men should stop walking really gets to me at times!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2008, 23:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

That game is awesome. I really need to reinstall it on my comp...

I've won battles with armies so much smaller than the enemy's kind of like you described, but with armies that are more than just arty. I love how it counts as a 'heroic victory' and is recorded on the campaign map afterwards. ;D
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

I played it awhile ago. I love it. I can not wait for Empire!
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

I didn't get Medieval 2 when it first came out because Barbarian Invasion kinda sucked(and Rome had some big problems too). I was afraid that It would inherit its ridiculous economy (in which every large city has a massive negative income even when you have fully upgraded markets, docks, and farms) and the moronic cityfight AI. Did they fix those things, or was I right not to get it?

Another thing that bothers me about the total war games post Medieval 1 is the insistence that half the factions be unplayable. Why give us cool factions like Scythia, Spain, Thrace, Armenia, Numidia, Macedon, and Pontus and then make them unplayable? I'd rather lead a horde of barbaric Horse archers across the freezing steppes of Russia or battle Carthage and Egypt for the domination of Africa than fight over the same boring stretches of the Middle East and the Mediterranean coast over and over again./rant over
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 05:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rome total war, and Barbarian invasion came off as economies that will stagnate. If you dont conquer a new city, you just collect debt. In the early game, you cant sit still. If you dont take the cities early, the enemies build tech, while you sit in the stone age.

Barbarian invasion reminded me of economic times. No matter what, I always ended up uprooting and spending a campaign pillaging cities. I hate when new factions pop in the middle of your territory. The scythian like faction doesnt help me too much infantry wise. I had to use hit and run attacks, retreat, and hit and run again. To the point where even slaves can defend.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 08:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard King
I didn't get Medieval 2 when it first came out because Barbarian Invasion kinda sucked(and Rome had some big problems too). I was afraid that It would inherit its ridiculous economy (in which every large city has a massive negative income even when you have fully upgraded markets, docks, and farms) and the moronic cityfight AI. Did they fix those things, or was I right not to get it?

Another thing that bothers me about the total war games post Medieval 1 is the insistence that half the factions be unplayable. Why give us cool factions like Scythia, Spain, Thrace, Armenia, Numidia, Macedon, and Pontus and then make them unplayable? I'd rather lead a horde of barbaric Horse archers across the freezing steppes of Russia or battle Carthage and Egypt for the domination of Africa than fight over the same boring stretches of the Middle East and the Mediterranean coast over and over again./rant over

First of all, pretty much every single total war player out there modifies the descr_strat files to play with the unplayable factions. I think they made it so easy to modify that file that they weren't really barring us from playing it. It's just that for casual players, trying to play as Scythia or Numidia might be a bit hard (and it is).

Secondly I don't know what you mean by ridiculous economy. I've played to imperial campaign victory numerous times and each time by midgame I had much more money than I could ever spend.

As for Medieval 2, I'd say the game is a bit harder than Rome just because in Rome all of your troops were too disciplined. If you had enough heavy cavalry you can just make them beeline rush against an enemy formation halfway across the map. Do that in Medieval 2 and they'll quickly lose formation and momentum. Also cavalry, aside from the Mongols, are generally just a bit harder to work with now, which makes sense. Cityfight's become a little more complex because firstly there's no sap points, secondly not all towers are automatically manned, and lastly because in larger cities/castles there's always multiple layers of defensive walls.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 08:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

great game!
I love it!

Have you guys tried mount and blade?
Its similiar to some extent except its more RP and a whole lot of other differences

I play M&B for the fighting and medieval for the tactics!
would be nice to see them together though :P

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll prolly get it when I have a better computer.

Mainly becuase you can play as Sweden..
SkullzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedmongoose
Secondly I don't know what you mean by ridiculous economy. I've played to imperial campaign victory numerous times and each time by midgame I had much more money than I could ever spend.
I was talking more about Barbarian Invasion with that one, Especially when you play as a Barbarian faction and you could never settle down properly becuase you'd be in heavy debt within a few turns of occupying a city.

Anyhoo, Forgive my newbitude, but where is the descr_strat file and how do I modify it?
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote