Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

boardgaming
Old 18 Nov 2008, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default boardgaming

Aside from warhammer and warhammer 40k, I am an avid boardgamer. The nerd in me just loves to burst forth in a rousing challenge of wits. Lately my friends and I have been playing this incredible lord of the rings strategy game called war of the ring, but I was wondering if anyone else knows of some good war/strategy games out there?

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 15:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: boardgaming

If you've got the time to dedicate to it, as well as reliable(and non-violent) play-mates, I would strongly suggest Diplomacy. There are a few online utilities you could use(as the board isn't printed any more), as well as several variations of the gameboard. If you're going to be using an online program, I would suggest JDip
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Axis and Allies is a great game too. It taked a while, but it is fun nonetheless. The Axis and Allies Minatures game is also a lot of fune. It's sort of like a VERY simplified version of warhammer.

I would definitely agree that Diplomacy is very fun. I'm pretty sure that Avalon Hill still makes the game. It is defeinitely worth it thoug. The game is a blast!

If you agree that: Dieing tickles, copy this into your signature.

The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there!

These black dots are itchy!

Frag Weak, Hurdle the Dead!

Pwner has become the pwned!
Grimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm rather fond of an Original Series Star Trek game called Str Fleet Battles. It's old, but still made and very well supported by the manufacturer, Amarillo Design Bureau. If you don't mind slightly complex, detailed games, give their free demo download version a try at www.starfleetgames.com.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by viorlashasui
I'm rather fond of an Original Series Star Trek game called Str Fleet Battles. It's old, but still made and very well supported by the manufacturer, Amarillo Design Bureau. If you don't mind slightly complex, detailed games, give their free demo download version a try at www.starfleetgames.com.
SFB is in fact one of the baddest-ass games ever, but I think it's more a wargame than a boardgame, to be honest.

Federation & Empire is the strategic boardgame version, and it's quite worth the investment of time in the playing.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight
SFB is in fact one of the baddest-D'yi games ever, but I think it's more a wargame than a boardgame, to be honest.

Federation & Empire is the strategic boardgame version, and it's quite worth the investment of time in the playing.
I suppose, I just class it as a boardgame because I couldn't think of another category that wouldn't require extensive explanation to non-gamers.

Good to see another player around here. What faction do you play most often? For me, WYNs Klingons, and Tholians.

F&E is too expensive for me though, since I'd never be able to get a game around here.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pente is a quick strategy game that I enjoy playing.

It also pays to make your own games. Chess, is one of the most commonly modified games and the board or pieces can be transformed into exciting ways.

Less of a war game... I find the Call of Cthulhu series of games especially fun.

Steve Jackson also has some of my most played games in his lineup; Munchkin, Illuminati, etc are all fun to play with/against friends.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

you aint hardcore until you play candy land

http://www.boardgamecentral.com/games/candyland.html
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 23:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I'm a fan of Risk
I have the original one with all the cannons and pointy men, and the star wars version ^_^ Now there's a new one..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2008, 02:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

One board game my friends and I like is the Akrham Horror game. It's based on Lovecraft stuff and the game has a very cool race-against-time feel to it when the monsters start spilling out of alternate dimensions. It's almost more of a simplified RPG than a board game at times, as well.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote