Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gears of War 2 :: Full Review
Old 17 Nov 2008, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Gears of War 2 :: Full Review

Well, here it is. The big, bad boy. The mother of all game sequels (for me at least). At last, it has come: Gears of War 2. If you don’t feel like reading the rather long review that has appeared in front of your noses right now, scroll down a bit ‘till “Summary:”

My copy arrived in the mail on Wednesday, almost a week after it was released. I was unhappy, but at least I got it. The Limited Edition is beautiful – absolutely stunning to look at. The cover art is great, there’s a neat little book if you’re interested in some random art and pictures, and the CD case has a great feel to it – it’s metal. The CD case is metal, looks amazingly badass, and you can just feel the cold metal in your hands as you pick it up to get your game. It is a nice, nice feeling. However, it wasn’t nice when I opened it. The CD seemed to be glued into the damn contraption – I was seriously afraid of snapping the thing in half while I was trying to get it out. I hear that this is only a problem with the Limited Edition, but for now I’m keeping it in my old, Gears of War 1 case. I’m not using that thing again, which is unfortunate, because it’s really the most beautiful CD case I’ve ever seen.
This immediately set in my original fears for Gears of War 2. Pretty on the outside, but rushed and broken on the inside. Hopefully, the CD case would not be a metaphor for the game itself.
I’m pleased to say it wasn’t.
Epic brings you just that – a game of Epic proportions. They promised us a bigger, badder Gears of War 1, and that’s just what we got, for better or for worse. For the most part, Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 connect seamlessly – if you liked the first, you’ll love the second. It has the same dark, gritty humor, the great characters, the thrilling plotline and the great gameplay. It also shares the sometimes cheesy, painful dialogue – but, for the most part, Gears of War 2 takes Gears of War 1 and makes it better in every way. I really have no idea where to start – Gears of War 2 is packed with so many features it’s hard to begin.
The graphics are amazing. Looking at screenshots, it doesn’t seem like that much of an improvement over Gears of War 1. Sure, the faces are touched up a little, but it looks like the same dark, gritty world and of the same level of graphics (which is still great – Gears of War 1 still is among the best games out for the 360, graphics wise, and I think Gears of War 2 IS THE BEST.). However, when you’re actually playing the game, there is a huge difference – and most of it is subtle. The movements are much more fluid, and every single action looks more realistic and less chunky or glitchy than in Gears of War 1 (except for one thing, which I’ll get into later). One thing I noticed in particular are bullet trails – a truly FANTASTIC touch that makes it look like your Lancer is actually firing real bullets, not some wimpy equivalent that does no damage. The bullet trails alone are among my favorite improvement to the game, period – it just feels so much better. Watch a youtube video to see what I’m talking about.
Epic also brought us some brilliant water effects. Shooting, walking through, or just looking at it – it might be the best water I’ve seen, ever. So, it’s these minor graphical improvements (including a great improvement to the way enemies react when they’re shot, they actually look like they’re getting shot now) that brings Gears of War 2 to a level thought unreachable.
The one error I found in the graphics was the knock-down animation. Getting knocked down looked real enough, but there were often glitches in getting back up and it looked a little fake. But, as a whole, the graphics are stellar, and one minor error like that is really not a big deal at all, and I still believe that Gears of War 2 has the best graphics I have seen on a video game to date.

But what is a game without gameplay? A game could have the best graphics in the world, but if it’s no fun, then why would you want to get it?
Gears of War 2 did not take away from its gameplay to get stellar graphics. It still plays great – the cover system pretty much unchanged, the weapons and enemies are balanced, the campaign is challenging, fresh, interesting, and not repetitive, it’s really quite well done. The controls are great (the same as Gears of War 1, not surprisingly) and the changes they’ve made to the weapons (hammerburst in particular) as well as the new weapons (SCORCHER!!!) are really awesome. Epic saw the problems in Gears of War 1 and did not hesitate to fix them in the sequal. In addition, the new features (so far) seem to be great, and they have definitely not rushed the gameplay on this game.
So… the changes. The Hammerburst I mentioned earlier, so I’ll start with that. Remember the Hammerburst in Gears of War 1 – that 3-round-burst Locust lancer equivilent? If not, I don’t blame you. The thing sucked. The Hammerburst has been completely remade – everything except for the fact that it still is the Locust lancer equivilent. It now fires semi-automatically, meaning as fast as your finger can pull the trigger or, if you hold it down, at a set (but rather slow) rate. However, the bullets it fires are massive and do a lot of damage, especially against tougher opponents. The problem I had with it was that, especially for a semi automatic weapon, it’s really dreadfully inaccurate. So don’t be expecting to snipe with it. (In its defense, the inaccuracy means that people online can’t just mash the button and send millions of high powered shots right at you. It balances the weapon and is a smart move I’m surprised they thought of.)
There are a couple new “heavy” weapons in the game, that I can’t help but think of Halo 3 when I see. They put you in third person view and you get a lot slower, just like the detachable turrets in Halo 3. However, these are great – one’s a machine gun (do I need to explain) and the other fires mortars – you aim, set distance, and FOOM shoot this mortar. Up, up, up, up and then it explodes into several little, smaller mortars, and they rain down on the ground.
Luckily, these toys are not easy to come by, but they’re tons of fun when you do get your hands on them. (And, in case you’re wondering, it’s only those two, the Scorcher is a normal sized gun like the Gnasher, Lancer, Boomshot, etc.)
There are many new maps and game modes – one that stood out in particular to me was Wingman – 5 teams of 2 partners who work together to try and kill all the other teams. So, invite your favorite friend to a game, and it’ll be you two against…. Everyone else.
Then, there’s also the new Horde mode. Ahhh, horde. You have up to 4 teammates (so 1-5 total people) and are pitted against waves of locusts on any map – as the waves progress, they get harder and harder. A lot of fun, especially with friends online, because you don’t have to worry about cheap-nolifers on the other team sniping the shit out of you. You can just sit back, relax, and burn the locusts with your scorcher
Another feature that I *love* in Gears of War 2 is that there are bots. How long has it been since we’ve played a game with bots in it? You can have any number of bots in any game mode – so if your Xbox live is down, you can still play Wingman, Warzone, Annex, anything you want with bots. If you’ve got 4 friends over – you 4 against 4 bots. It gives you a lot of options (both online and offline) and is a hell of a lot of fun.
Wow. 1,400 words and I’ve only got through Gameplay and Graphics. :-S
What’s left… let’s go with Story. Let me summarize it briefly for those of you who don’t want spoilers. It’s great. Now please move on while I get to the spoilers (Highlight over it to read)
[hr]
SPOILERS
[hr]
[glow=black,2,300]Most of it is very well done. The story is just as gripping as the first, with interesting plot twists and stuff. However, it feels like Dom’s relationship with Maria was just suddenly thrust upon us. Maria (and Tai, but I’ll get into that later) was just suddenly *bam* in our face in Gears of War 2. It’s one of the primarily plotlines throughout the game, and she wasn’t even MENTIONED in Gears 1. This makes it seem kinda pushed on you at first. However, in the end, Dom’s relationship with Maria becomes more believable, and I started to actually care. They executed it well for something that seems like they didn’t even think about until Gears of War 2.
Tai…. Not so much. Well, mostly Carmine #2. He ruins quite a lot of the dialogue for me by making all of the subtleties so much more obvious than they should be. For instance, when Tai dies, Carmine goes “Oh… but he’s supposed to never die. Right?!” Now, that completely ruined the message they were trying to give, because they mentioned it outright. I wasn’t happy :P
All in all, though, it’s well done and I am pleased. Not *thrilled*, but pleased.[/glow]
[hr]
END SPOILERS
[hr]
Which leaves me… where? Sounds. Let’s see… overall, pretty well done. You don’t really notice it too much (which is good – sound that stands out and makes you turn your head is bad sound). So… the background noises and gun sounds and all that was pretty good. The music was also great – I love Gears of War music. Something about the music that they play – it’s in the right moments, it sounds good, it isn’t in the way and isn’t unnoticable. Overall great job there.
Which brings me to dialog. In my opinion, this was Gears of War 1’s weakest point – I particularily hated Marcus Fenix’s voice acting. Well… things haven’t changed, for Fenix at least. His voice is still (in my opinion) really quite bad… lifeless, unnaturally deep and masculine to make it just really odd and uncomfortable to listen to. Cole Train remains my favorite character – I’ve always loved him more than anyone else. His voice acting, his lines, his campy football references… I just love it :P. As a whole, the only voice actor I don’t like is Marcus Fenix, although (as I mentioned earlier) someone else’s name who I shall not disclose was also really obnoxious, but in a more funny, intended way.
Don’t get me wrong, all the other voice actors were great. Dom, Baird, Cole, Hoffman, Anya, it’s all really well acted and usually really well scripted. So, dialogue was also… great.

The breakdown: (If you don’t feel like reading, skip to here).
Summary: Gears of War 2 is a gripping sequel that in every way deserves the name. Suspenseful and funny, dark and light, it covers all spectrums of the gaming experience to deliver a unique shooter that will grip you from the first moment, and never let go. The variety of game modes, the new weapons (and the old ones), the intelligent A.I. and the multiplayer game modes makes this game unbelievably replayable for a shooter. The 4 difficulty levels and Co-Op features, as well as the matchmaking system (which also reminded me a bit of Halo 3) allows you to really tailor the game to your level. I would recommend this game to anybody, regardless of experience or tastes. A must-have.
Something worth a mention: Epic implements the new, ‘epic’ Gears of War 2 amazingly. This game is a lot bigger, and at first I didn’t like that. There are more enemies, bigger enemies, and everything’s pretty much bigger and badder, but I wanted the old, tighter GoW. Well, they managed to keep the feel… somehow. It’s bigger, but it doesn’t feel bigger, until the camera zooms out and you realize what is going on. Then, it zooms back in, and it feels like GoW1 again. They keep the skirmish feel that I loved so much from Gears of War 1 even though #2 is on such a large scale, and how they did that – I have no freaking idea. But I love it.

Graphics: 10/10. I am absolutely serious when I say that this game has the best graphics I have seen, ever.
Gameplay: 10/10. Takes Gears of War 1 and only improves.
Story: 10/10. Interesting, fun, and deep.
Sound: 10/10. Despite my dislike for Marcus Fenix, everything else is fantastic.
Overall: 10/10.

I would give maybe 2 other games, ever, a 10/10 rating*. This game truly deserves it. Get this game now.

*They would probably be MGS3, Zelda:Ocarina.

Phew. There you go. This review was 2,225 words long. Hope you enjoyed.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 23:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Gears of War 2 :: Full Review

I give it a 0/10. It's not coming out for the PC. >
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 23:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yet...

Good review 1shot. Thanks for it ;D
Old 17 Nov 2008, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

Now I dare you to play this game after something better comes out and re-review it for us :P
Old 17 Nov 2008, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hehehe.... gladly. I'll re-review it later if y'all want.

I'm also hopefully gonna get some more random reviews up (for some less brand-new games) so that you can better understand my scaling and relate to what I'm saying more.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 07:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
I give it a 0/10. It's not coming out for the PC. >
It will, in time

[hr]

Nice review, good reading. Mind you, you could have told me the game was the spawn of hitler and I'd still be buying it next month, I've been waiting for this ever since the first one.

I'm glad to see they didn't Halo 2 it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Indeed, this game is epic in every sense of the word.

Myself and my room mate are playing through it right now. We're trying to complete it in one sitting like we did with the first.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Nice review. I thought Tai was ace though.

I think the main issue with the game are the boss battles. The Skorge fight seems a bit daft and VERY easy. The Fish battle is pretty rubbish. The Hydra one is ok though but still not great. I would have prefered something more like the regular firefights but made harder, getting seriously ambushed etc. I'd have liked to have fought a Brumak up close for example.

I am guessing there is a 3rd game because this one left an aweful lot of things without an explanation.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 18:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Nice review. I thought Tai was ace though.
Thanks, but as I corrected myself later, Tai wasn't really the problem, it was mostly Carmine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I think the main issue with the game are the boss battles. The Skorge fight seems a bit daft and VERY easy. The Fish battle is pretty rubbish. The Hydra one is ok though but still not great. I would have prefered something more like the regular firefights but made harder, getting seriously ambushed etc. I'd have liked to have fought a Brumak up close for example.
Hmm... the fights I thought were pretty good, not amazing but not bad at all. The one I liked least was the Skorge fight, because that was literally a button masher and didn't require any skills or reflexes or thought whatsoever other than press B as fast as you can (and it was easy at that).
But I liked the Skorge one, the worm one was cool but also quite easy, and I thought the fish one was alright but damn hard for me to get that grenade in every time.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I wouldn't really class the Worm one as a Boss Battle.

They just didn't have the desperation of fighting RAAM, the scaryness of fighting your first Bezerker, the epicness of fighting the Corpser.

The vehicle sections of this one were much better though. Especially the last one!. Plus no Krill. Man I hated those things.