Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fallout 3 The Vault's and What Happened to Them
Old 03 Nov 2008, 16:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Fallout 3 The Vault's and What Happened to Them

Ok so with the exception of the mysterious Vault 76 I've now been to all the Vaults in Fallout 3 and for anyone curious as to what happened to them but not wanting to actually brave the dark creepy depths yourself, here's a summary of what each Vault revealed. However these are summaries and in each Vault except 108 you can find coputers and records from various individuals that will give a more complete picture.

Vault 87

Ok Vault 87 is where you go to retrieve a GECK to get project purity up and running. However the Vault has a darker history than most. Vault 87 was secretly a research facility for the FEV Virus or at least a modified strain of it. For an extended period of time citizens of the Vault would regularly dissapear and be reported deceased. Eventually other members of the Vault, particularly the head of maintanence, figured out what was going on and stood up against it. It can be assumed that the Vault basically tore itself apart in internal conflict and during the fighting half the containment cells of the science lab were opened and the Super Mutants stormed out. By the time of the events in Fallout 3 the Vault is now the source of the local Super Mutants, the Vault dwellers and scientists wiped out and the Super Mutants using the science labs to create more Super Mutants to fuel the fighting in D.C.

Funnily enough half the containment cells remained locked, mostly empty but one did contain an unmutated human whose gone crazy, and another cell containing a Super Mutant named Fawks wearing the tattered remnants of a Vault Suit. Apparently after the fighting in the Vault ended none of the Super Mutants bothered to open the remaining cells and so Fawks was stuck in his for God only knows how long. Fortunately he seems reasonably sane and actually aids the Wanderer and can join your party later.

Vault 92

Ok this place is creepy. An old Lady in the wastes named Agatha requests that you retrieve the Soil Stratovarius a relative of hers had with her when the war broke out and who was a resident of Vault 92. Finding the location of the Vault either in the Citadel or Vault Tec Headquarters in DC you make your way to this Vault which was specially outfitted to preserve the world's musical talent. Or at least thats what the adds said.

After delving in the Vault some and fighting through an inordinate number of stubborn bugs and an irritating number of traps and mines the story falls into place. It turns out that while many magnificent musicians were residents of the Vault, the nature of the Vault was darker and more complex than that. The Vault 92 scientists used the recording studio to wash a white noise signal in amongst the musical recordings. This noise was designed to hypnotize those hearing it and make them susceptible to subconscious trigger commands. The scientists studies were harmless enough but as soon as they got good results the Overseer began washing the signal through the dormitory speakers and PA system and implanting agressive and combat triggers in the Vault dwellers while they swept.

The results were that the Vault basically went insane and the last recording of the Chief Scientist places half the Vault dead and the other half hiding and fighting for their lives against each other. The Overseer believed his Security would have been enough to contain the threat but he was obviously wrong and more than a little unhinged after the Vault spiralled into chaos.

Vault 101

Following the events of the opening, there is an option to go back to the Vault and see whats happened in the aftermath. The situation only got worse, with a great many Vault citizens dead to the hands of security, rad roaches, and the security mauled by your own escape efforts the Vault is in bad shape. The lighting is low and flickering, everythings damaged and the survivors are few and far between and almost all armed somehow and the security troopers nervous and jittery.

The situation is not good, Amata leads a bunch of younger dwellers in a rebellion against the Overseer. Meanwhile the Overseer has forcefully locked down the Vault and the security forces of the Vault are stretched thin and panicking, some preparing to disobey the Overseer and launch a raid on the rebels themselves. To top it all off the Vault itself is in bad shape, the fighting having damaged a lot of it including a number of systems including the water chip, ventillation and generators.

So your options are three fold, 1 help Amata and the rebels, 2 kill them or stop them for the Overseer, or 3 sabotage the Vault so everyone has to leave regardless of opinion. Nevertheless whatever you do you have to leave afterwards as your presence is still too controversial and touchy for the survivors.

Vault 106

Ok this place is just north west of Vault 101 and has not survived as well as Vault 101. What happened to this place is also not entirely certain, unlike Vaults 87 and 92 helpfull journals and logs are few and the computer records aren't overly helpfull. However what appears to have happened is the Vault scientists released a gas into the Vault for some reason or another and believed themselves capable of dealing with the results. However the gas appears to have driven the Vault citizens crazy with hallucinations of some sort.

In fact as you delve into the Vault you encounter numerous occasions that are either flash backs of ghosts or hallucinations of some sort, seeing the Vault in its clean functioning aspect and the Overseer in his office, scientists walking through the halls and thats not so bad. Until you get down the the lower levels of the Vault when another vision happens where Butch and the Tunnel Snakes attack you in a short and brutal melee before the vision ends and suddenly your back in the dingy ruins. The Insane Survivors display wonky hairdoes and attack you with fist, nails and anything blunt and heavy. However you do find one surviving scientist. For me he attacked on sight, I would have figured he'd be the one person in the Vault alive and sane enough to talk and he's the only one wearing a lab coat. But every time I tried he attacked on sight so go figure.

In any case the Overseer and his goons were unable to contain the insane hallucinating vault citizens and the results were death and chaos.

Vault 108

This place is if possible even creepier than Vault 106. Located just south east of the Mechanists lair in Canterbury Commons. The Vault includes no computers or records what so ever and the only indication of what happened are the survivors that attack you and they are all named... Gary. Gary 27, Gary 48 and so forth. The cloning labs don't even have any computers to shed light on the situation. All that you know is everyones dead, there's blood and corpses everywhere, everything is broken and these creepy, utterly creepy clones attack you on sight laughing manically and repeating their name. I suppose what happened is the Vault scientists were experimenting with cloning and the clones went crazy and killed everyone. Your guess is as good as mine as to how or why.

Vault 112

This is a strange Vault, one floor, few rooms and almost nobody there. All the human inhabitants sleep in stasis pods immersed in a virtual reality while the Vault is maintained by Robots. Dealing with Dr. Braun in the Tranquility Lane simulation is another matter however and Vault 112 is singularly the smallest and most painless of the vaults to investigate in my opinion, though underneath a garrage finding it can be tricky if you don't know its there.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj
Default Re: Fallout 3 The Vault's and What Happened to Them

That is incredibly awesome Vash. Now I have to go to 108 though. And for some reason that reminds me: I'm running for president of the Republic of Dave.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

ARGH! SPOILERS! WHY DID I READ?

Ahem, well, I soon stopped, but nice review anyway. I'll comment more in a couple days once I can complete the game :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well... According to this handy little wiki...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault#True_purpose

It explains the majority of the vaults purposes in the overall scheme of things.

I didn't want to just steal the info (if anyone was wondering why I posted the link).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 01:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did look up those vaults, I like 53 and 56 (53 would drive me crazy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 01:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea but Vault 69 looks like fun.

Old 05 Nov 2008, 17:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

68 seems like hell though. Or RIT. 7% Female? Close enough....
Old 05 Nov 2008, 19:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
68 seems like hell though. Or RIT. 7% Female? Close enough....
Seven percent? 1 in 1000 should be what .1 percent? She musta been pretty tired... .

Old 06 Nov 2008, 03:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

It couldn't have gone on though for long, unlike 69. A man can impregnate tons of women, a woman can only have about 1 child per year.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 04:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well all the Vaults all the experiments, except perhaps 13 origionally, were failures from the outset. Mostly because of a "cry wolf" factor. The number of false alarms and "fire drills" before the bombs actually fell meant that when they did many ignored the sirens as yet another false alarm and as a result the numbers of individuals that made it into the vaults were far, far below the origional capacity. For instance that is what was so problematic about Vault 101, the population was too small to sustain itself indeffinitely as it otherwise would have and thus its mission, its goal was compromised from the outset by a lack of numbers and genetic diversity.

Vault 13 only avoided that problem because it was finished just before the nukes fell and the people assigned to it thus didn't get used to the false alarms and when the sirens sounded they turned up in far greater numbers than those in other vaults. Note that the numbers discussed in the records of the various Vaults you explore in Fallout 3 still suggest a population in the low hundreds instead of a round thousand that it should have been.