Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Life on the Edge - thoughts on the Mirror's Edge Demo
Old 03 Nov 2008, 09:58   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Life on the Edge - thoughts on the Mirror's Edge Demo

I downloaded this the otherday, as ever since I saw this I fell in love with the idea, and have always hoped it would deliver. Fired it up to give it a run through.

The Demo:

You start in a "training" area, where you can practise your jumping, running etc, before meeting a fellow runner and following her through the roof tops.

Controls are extremely simple, yet complicated at the same time.
Normal movement from the Left and right sticks, and the left bumper controls "up movements" - jumping, vaulting and wall running etc, and the left trigger controls your "down" movements - sliding, rolling.

The most important thing in this is timing - you need to be thinking your route before you've embarked upon it. You can't just stop and start, as you need the momentum for many of the jumps and you need to know where you are going. As you proceed, you are flicking between up and down actions - jumping a fence before sliding under a rail, all the time keeping your momentum as high as possible.

I can't emphasize highly enough how important it is to think in this game. Whilst in Halo you could run through guns blazing half asleep, you need to be planning every thing in advance. You have to be one step ahead so you know what action you need to make before you are making it - every time you mess up and stop, or slow, you are losing momentum meaning you might not be able to make a jump, or outrun a policeman. The game is very fast paced play, stopping to take cover doesn't help in this, you need to keep moving at all times.

Combat is interesting, although for the most part optional - having the worlds best gun does not help you in this game, as you cannot "holster" a weapon for use later. If you aren't using it at the time, get rid of it as you need you hands free and your agility as high as possible.

Combat is controlled with the right trigger, and depends on your stance to the opponent. You can also disarm them with the Y button. This is easy to do from behind, but a lot harder from the front. They will try and hit you, and when the weapon turns red you need to hit disarm, if you fail, you will get hit. Timing! Again.

There is also a version of bullet time called runner time, which builds up as you run, and suprisingly, lets you slow time to a crawl. Not brilliant for dodging bullets, as you yourself are slowed, so don't try any matrix crap as it won't work well, if at all. It does however, make those frontal disarms a lot easier, as you have longer to react to the red weapon.

You can also "chain" moves, meaning you can do jump kicks with the jump + combat button, and slide with, no surprise, down action and combat, an easy way of dodging a shot and getting in a hit.

Furthermore, you can chain a lot of actions like wall running into a combat kick, or wall running, then jumping off the wall to grab a ledge with an easy bumper combo - LB to wall run, RB to turn and LB to jump off.

Using the guns is easy, literally point and trigger to shoot. Most cops I met took a few rounds to down them, but the point of the game isn't shooting - I would argue that if you shoot your way through a level, you're doing it wrong.

You won't be reloading your gun, and there really is no point hanging on to them past a quick use - they hamper your movement and mean you can't grab ledges etc.

As you progress, you come up against 4 cops who want to stop you - you have to run like mad to evade them, using everything in the evironment you see. The best choice, of environment will highlight red, but nothing says you must use it - its all up to you.

You have to walk balance beams, climb walls and shimmy around ledges, all at the best speed you can to evade the law enforcement.

The visuals:

Well, as you can see from the trailer, the in game visuals are stunning - some of the best in existence on the 360. What makes it stand out is the clean-ness of it all - the buildings are all a clean white, with only the primary colours (Red, Blue, Yellow) decorating. This alone is a change from the norm, such as Fallout (not knocking it) or GTA etc all being quite dark and dirty.

Its impressive in the first person layout - seeing your arms and legs pumping as you run, or when you do a slide and see your feet out in front. The world literally flips when you do a roll, as you are seeing from her (Faith's) eyes, so you see the whole game world turn around when you roll. Its a little disorientating while you in a roll, but it soon comes back to normal as you get up.

Final Thoughts:

This game, for want of a better word, is amazing. It is so different to just about anything we usually have, in every way from the visuals to the gameplay. Combat is in there just in case - as I said, if you find yourself punching and shooting your way through levels, then I'd advise you to go back to a shooter or something, it is not the way the game is meant to be played. The first person view has been animated brilliantly, giving you a much more immersive feel to the game and the moves you can do are awesome.

I can't comment much on the story, as the demo doesn't really go into it - you get training, then a small courier run and escape, but from the posted story information it will be quite fun - totalitarian goverment controlling all communications and you, as Faith, need to find information on your missing sister.

So, hopefully I've given you a good description of this, and I highly advise you to try out the demo. Hopefully you'll enjoy this unique style of play as much as I have, and get the game. I know I intend to buy it as soon as I can, and I am really looking forward to the uniqueness of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 10:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: Life on the Edge - thoughts on the Mirror's Edge Demo

I'm definitely getting this game when it comes out as well.

Also:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/3/
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 10:59   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I've heard people claim that it will be a bit motion sicknessy, but I was fine - and I'm terrible on ferries and if I read in the car.

I'd also just eaten lasagne and had a few beers, and I felt no adverse affects. It actually felt incredibly immersive, not at all weird.

Quote:
Old 03 Nov 2008, 11:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

As the title says... slightly exaggerated.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 14:06   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Found achievements list:
http://mirrorsedge.com/ls/us/index.asp#/achievements/

Test of Faith looks interesting. 80 points for not using a gun :P

Quote:
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Monsieur Monkey

Finally got a chance to play it just now. SO FUN. The running is just really fun... although I'm finding it pretty hard to actually think ahead and I end up falling off buildings and dying a lot :P
Still though, I'm definitely buying it now.

By the way... does anyone else cringe when they fall to their death? That crunch... >_<
Oh, and for even more fun... at the end, instead of jumping to the helicopter, jump backwards off the building. You can see your reflection in the glass... and ouch.

Mentos=Win
Monsieur Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Heheh, I hadn't thought of that :P

A mate ran through it the other night, and he really enjoyed it. Its awkward at first, but really easy to pick up, so you aren't worrying about what to do, but where to go.

I'm gonna end up in my overdraft because of this game, but there ain't no way I ain't getting on release (and I might even improve my english skills :) as ever since I found the trailer I have literally been in love with this game.

Wait, not literally, thats a bit weird. But you know what I mean.

Quote:
Old 05 Nov 2008, 22:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, it takes a little getting used to. But I'm finding it very intuitive the more I play it.

Ah, I so would, but I'm totally broke. And there's so many games out that I wanna buy... LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge... AH! :P

And in love with the game? Reminds me...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=46387251

Mentos=Win
Old 05 Nov 2008, 22:39   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

In the cinema tonight, they played the trailer on the big screen

Resistance 2... Seriously?

Quote:
Old 05 Nov 2008, 23:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
In the cinema tonight, they played the trailer on the big screen

Resistance 2... Seriously?
Big screen Mirror's Edge! That's awesome! Although potentially pain inducing XD

Yes, seriously.

Mentos=Win