Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warmachine
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Warmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Magnus
I'm wrong by saying I've not been impressed?
By my slightly tipsy logic; YES.

To elaborate; I really like warmachine, I think it's a great game. Tons of fun to play with friends. Highly robust game system with really cool individual unit rules and models.

Notice how I put friends in quotations? The biggest complaints I've heard about the game have revolved around competitive play and how viciously cut throat and un fun it can be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: The Venting Thread

Ah, its manic. I played a game the other night against Carl, and he took his Cryx Caster Scar (or something) she popped her feat, nearly instgibbing my poor Ashlynn. So in my turn, I get his caster down to 11 hits left - literally make or break time. The two mules line up steam lobbers, but before they can fire, Ashlynn points her hand cannon at Scar and does 12 damage

Awesome. Add to that both Mules getting critical's with their first shots, and blowing a squad of Revenent Pirates half way round the battlefield

[hr]

And to vent - I've dragged this OT again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: The Venting Thread

Warmachine isn't too bad, there are some pretty good models and you don't need a huge army to start (Though the average army is what, 750 points now? It's getting bigger all the time so sooner or later the cost won't be so attractive). But I HATE the super-competitive bullshit, all thanks to "Page 5" no doubt...which a disgusting amount of people seem to have interpreted as "Be a hardcore ****ing asshole to everyone, because nothing else in this life matters but beating the crap out of people with metal models!".

That's another thing too, I really don't get the obsession with metal. People praise PP for using all metal models. The only real advantage I can see is that it's supposedly easier to paint, and really I've never had an easier time with metal over plastic personally, it's about the same...you have to prime either one and metal actually chips a lot easier, so if anything metal would be worse. But whatever.

I don't have any money so I won't be starting it soon anyway.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:18   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Warmachine

We play 500pts at the moment, but we are looking to expand.

Page 5 is a load of inspirational crap - its a laugh, but you can't take it seriously.

We play rather hard on (oh, thats a bad choice of words) games, but WM allows for that whilst still having fun - I had two the other night agains Carl, who is still quite new, and there literally is no holds barred - I had my mules slam his units again and again (damn pirates - killed them 4 times and they kept coming back ) and he hit me equally as hard.

His caster pulled of a move which could have ended it for me, I was able to turn that on its head by use of Feint, and then had Ashlynn stab the hell out of his caster. Until that point though, it was all his game - I had no troops left, and a couple of damaged jacks, and he still had most of his troops. So it was gonna be his game until the end.

Thats why I'm preferring it to 40k - the amount of thinking you have to do. If 40k is a driving test, Warmachine is Formula 1 in Monacco blindfolded. You really need to be on top of it at all times, and never afraid to take a chance. With a half dead caster, I took a chance and won the game, if I had hung back worrying about it, Carl would have owned me.

Quote:
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

That's probably one of the things I hate most about the gameplay though: casters. People make jokes about "Herohammer" all the time, but Warmachine is quite literally all about the hero. You kill their caster, you win, they kill yours, you lose. Your entire army can be shot to hell but if your hero manages to kill theirs at the last minute, it's your game no matter what else happens?

Just sounds like a waste of time, why even bother with the rest of the army, just line your casters up and see who rolls better. Same thing. The rest of the army is only there to act as a living shield and draw the game out it seems. :-\

The other annoying thing would be "combos". That kinda crap is why I quite Magic and CCGs in general.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:36   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I see where you are coming from, but in practice its nothing like that (at least not in friendly games).

Whilst it is down to killing the caster, unless your stupid, your caster is not going to be in a killable position very easily - the battle lines will clash, 'jacks smashing through infantry and cannon's booming, and the casters will be alongside, assisting and spelling until they meet their counterpart.

Its a much more, I suppose epic way of playing (and I say this as a staunch GW fanboy) because its more cinematic - think LOTR beginning, where the battelines have clashed in epic combat, and the leaders have charged out and started beating 7 levels of crap out of each other in epic combat.

Quote:
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just out of curiosity, for someone who's never seen a Warmachine book, let alone read one, what does 'page 5' entail?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
The overall gameplay is supposed to encourage aggression rather than defensive tactics, such as sitting behind fortifications. This is referred to amongst players and the game's developers as the 'Page 5' code of ethics: "Play Like You've Got A Pair".
Imagine Page 5 as being a military recruit where you lowly maggots are yellled at by some drill sergeant, told to man up and stop being pussies, grow some stones and get out there and kick steam powered 'jack's right in the face.

Its all a bit of a laugh really, but it is designed to emphasize the agressive play, rather than defensive - don't sit there like some chick, charge in screaming, and act like Bruce Willis instead of Bruce Forsyth.

No offence to ol' Brucey, but he ain't the kinda guy I expect to see take on an army with a sword in one hand and a pint in the other.

Quote:
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naieth
Quote:
The overall gameplay is supposed to encourage aggression rather than defensive tactics, such as sitting behind fortifications. This is referred to amongst players and the game's developers as the 'Page 5' code of ethics: "Play Like You've Got A Pair".
Imagine Page 5 as being a military recruit where you lowly maggots are yellled at by some drill sergeant, told to man up and stop being pussies, grow some stones and get out there and kick steam powered 'jack's right in the face.

Its all a bit of a laugh really, but it is designed to emphasize the agressive play, rather than defensive - don't sit there like some chick, charge in screaming, and act like Bruce Willis instead of Bruce Forsyth.

No offence to ol' Brucey, but he ain't the kinda guy I expect to see take on an army with a sword in one hand and a pint in the other.
So, they're basically say that you shouldn't play with any kind of tactics, merely charge straight at the opponent?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I bought the Warmachine book about a year ago - it looks pretty good. I just preferred 40k back then and only have the time and patience to collect Warhammer Fantasy atm. I considered using some of the models for the Host Project.

I think it requires quite a different attitude to 40k...it's more comic book.