Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flight sim question
Old 04 Oct 2008, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Flight sim question

Comrades! I've recently found myself sitting on some extra money (around $200, but most of that's going into the "cooper fund." Please note, the cooper fund will probably end up as the "used sub-compact" fund.) And I've decided to use a little. I have a joystick/throttle combo just sitting around, but few games to use it on. SO, my question to you, Komrades, is.

Falcon 4.0:allied forces or IL2 Sturmovik?

Or a yet-to-be-named thrid party?

Help.
Old 04 Oct 2008, 13:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Flight sim question

Flight Combat simulator three. I've played it and loved it. Dunno if anyone else has.
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well the Falcon one, you only get to fly the falcon. The other one, well, I think it's the same...

So those two come down to past or present?

And yeah, Flight combat simulator 3 is fun, but I prefer number two. It's basically the pacific theater with intense graphics (for its time) and all that fun stuff.
Old 04 Oct 2008, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like 2 and 3 the same. Both are very good.
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Get Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Has Il-2 Sturmovik and all its expansions; Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, and the Aces Expansion.

A more accurate flight model than Falcon4:AE (though I won't lie, I play both about as much) and a bit more user-friendly than hopping into the seat of an F-16C Block 52 and having to read through a 1,000 page manual just to learn how to operate your RADAR and fire an AMRAAM.

Also, Il-2: 1946 has over 100 (maybe 200, can't remember) flyable aircraft.

CFS3 has nothing on Il-2 except prettier clouds.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Get Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Has Il-2 Sturmovik and all its expansions; Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, and the Aces Expansion.

A more accurate flight model than Falcon4:AE (though I won't lie, I play both about as much) and a bit more user-friendly than hopping into the seat of an F-16C Block 52 and having to read through a 1,000 page manual just to learn how to operate your RADAR and fire an AMRAAM.

Also, Il-2: 1946 has over 100 (maybe 200, can't remember) flyable aircraft.

CFS3 has nothing on Il-2 except prettier clouds.
Really? Well, I guess I made my decision too quicly, I already bought Falcon:AE. Oh well, IL-2 isn't too expensive, so I'll just get it when I get bored of Falcon.

Also, does IL-2 have individual flight models for all of those 200 planes? Or does each one handle the same?
Old 11 Oct 2008, 20:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Individual flight models for all of them.

Yes, that's right.

All sixteen (seems like it) variations of the Bf-109 even have minute differences (the aircraft itself is going to fly roughly the same with the same basic design), but you can definitely tell the difference between flying a WWI-era TB-3 bomber and flying the much more nimble P-51 Mustang.

Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is by far the best combat flight simulator out there right now.

CFS3 doesn't come close, and the only two good modern combat flight sims I know of are Falcon: AE (which has something like a 1,000 page manual and was praised heavily for its realism when it was released despite the flight model aging considerably) and Lock On: Modern Air Combat (made by the same guys who did Il-2, where you only get to fly like six planes but they're all amazingly rendered).

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Um, alright, I'm confused.

Do they Training Missions have some sort of helpful voice-over or text or anything at all? Because on the first Training mission, I found it easy enough to follow the lines, until I ran out of fuel.

Where's the Fuel gague anyways? Also, i refuse to believe that an F-16 an glide that well (Maybe I should turn realistic Avionics on).
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There should have been a manual that came with the game that contains all the information you need to know to fly the plane.

If it wasn't a hard-copy (like they used to ship with the old Microprose Falcon 4.0), then there's no doubt a .pdf version somewhere on the install disk, and it's probably some 1,000 pages long.

The manual includes all the relevant instructions for the various training missions, as well as includes detailed descriptions of all the cockpit gauges/switches and where you can find them.

And no, an F-16 glides about as well as a brick with those stubby little wings. The fact that you ran out of fuel probably played a part in how well your F-16 glided at the time (lighter = better glideslope) but if you ever find yourself with an engine flame-out with a full fuel load then be prepared to eject.

Doombringer

Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
There should have been a manual that came with the game that contains all the information you need to know to fly the plane.

If it wasn't a hard-copy (like they used to ship with the old Microprose Falcon 4.0), then there's no doubt a .pdf version somewhere on the install disk, and it's probably some 1,000 pages long.

The manual includes all the relevant instructions for the various training missions, as well as includes detailed descriptions of all the cockpit gauges/switches and where you can find them.

And no, an F-16 glides about as well as a brick with those stubby little wings. The fact that you ran out of fuel probably played a part in how well your F-16 glided at the time (lighter = better glideslope) but if you ever find yourself with an engine flame-out with a full fuel load then be prepared to eject.
Oh... silly me, I'd forgotten the 700+page PDF manual that is also installed in my computer. For a while, I'd forgotten all about it.

thanks.