Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Listen up you WARers, and listen good! Elle needs some help....
Old 22 Sep 2008, 15:14   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Listen up you WARers, and listen good! Elle needs some help....

Right, all you who are playing WAR, I need to know some info.

From what I've read, you get one month free trial (hah!) when you buy the disc, and after that un the uk its about 9 quid a month - I think I can afford it. Can anyone confirm?

Second - levels. Do you need to grind dire wolves or some crap to advance, or is it a better designed system (seriously, I've tried GW and WoW. Killing basic animals to get good enough to manage a mission puts me right off a game).

Third, whats the RvR like? I've heard they've implemented a quite nice pvping system, where you fight in large groups to capture keeps, or somesuch. Confirm?

Fourth. You probably knew this was coming, but it is an EA game. Does this install Securom or another form of DRM-thats-actually-malware on your system? Google's not turned up much, yet.

Fifth - how much game play is involved? One thing I like with Eve is that I can log in the evening, run a couple missions/mine/manufacture, without having to be too committed.

Finally, a lot of reviews have claimed its fun, and so I want to give it a try. But what are your impressions of it?

Help me out, or I'll set the dryads on you :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Listen up you WARers, and listen good! Elle needs some help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle
Second - levels. Do you need to grind dire wolves or some Klkn to advance, or is it a better designed system (seriously, I've tried GW and WoW. Killing basic animals to get good enough to manage a mission puts me right off a game).
Yes, expect to grind like in WoW with "go kill # wolves" quests and such.

Quote:
Fourth. You probably knew this was coming, but it is an EA game. Does this install Securom or another form of DRM-thats-actually-malware on your system? Google's not turned up much, yet.
No (and contrary to some loud and vocal minority who will make things up to see all copy protection abolished, SecuRom is not malware; it only installs a limited permissions service to allow the game to self-decrypt, and it only installs this servcie if you install the game on a non-admin account).

Quote:
Fifth - how much game play is involved? One thing I like with Eve is that I can log in the evening, run a couple missions/mine/manufacture, without having to be too committed.
As much or little as you want, unless you happen to be in a demanding guild.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Sorry, have to chime in on the copyright on an MMO. Really, no MMORPG out there has copyright protection becuase...well they don't need it. Since you need an account and a susbscription to play they don't care who copies/downloads the client. It's also one of the reasons every company and thier dog would rather make an MMO so long as there is a steady cash flow.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

If you've ever played daoc, imagine that, now imagine it better in every way. There is no grinding whatsoever. I just do quests, or PvP to level. I despise any hint of the grind, the biggest I've had is kill 10 harpies, whoop de do like that takes long. You kill 10 for 800-1200xp and the quest rewards 3000xp? Hardly a grind. I'd say only 25% of the quests are kill x creatures.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 07:46   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Cheers guys - you lot are much better than all the review sites around

Copyright thing I should have figured, but after Spore I'm being extra careful.

The leveling up thing sounds interesting, from what I gather, rather than grind you get specific kill X creatures - almost like grinding missions, but made interesting and not boring.

Thats the main thing for me - I don't care about being OMGWTFBBG-PWNAGE levels, but I want to be able to be competitive without having to grind my way through levels, but this does sound encouraging.

Might have to look into it in a month or two when they iron out the release bugs, make it easier to give it a whirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote