Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mercenaries 2
Old 12 Sep 2008, 08:57   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Mercenaries 2

If you haven't heard about this game yet, you've either been living under a rather boring rock, or your only console is the Wii.

The plot is a very simple one - some Venezuelan oil company big-wig has pissed you off by not paying you, and now you're going to blow up him, his armies, and most of the country as an act of revenge. Or boredom. Whatever.

Frankly, you shouldn't care about the plot. Plots are only going to get in the way of the mindless fun! Mercenaries 2 works on the same "Sandbox" mechanic that GTA does, but unlike GTA Mercenaries is fun. If you want to drive around in a city carjacking people, you can. If, however, you'd prefer to grow a pair and pick on people who can actually fight back, you can go Tank-jack the local militia and start blowing the hell out of their base.

There are loads of missions (I've barely scratched the surface so far), and they become available based on how popular (or unpopular) you are with any given faction. The more a faction likes you, the more work they give you. Naturally, each mission will involve you having to pick a fight with one of the other factions (of which there are about five), so there's always someone shooting at you.

In terms of what you can get away with, Mercenaries only puts two real limits on your madness - your allies, and your fuel. Allies run shops for you, meaning that you need to actually do work for them to buy the better upgrades (so you can't just call in a nuke day 1, but it would be a bit stupid if it was that easy). Fuel is another limit - to begin with you can only store 300 gallons of it, and every support option from emergency evacs to a tactical air-strike uses up fuel. Thankfully, fuel is everywhere - you can get a little by blowing up a vehicle, or a lot by air-lifting a 500 gallon silo right out of the enemy base.

I would say that money is another limitation, but that can't be said with a straight face. Money is literally piled up on the ground, often in such massive quantities you need to have it air-lifted back to base. All of this ease of acquisition makes the game seriously fun; if you want to do something, go out and do it! In just one sitting, I managed to shoot down a chopper by stealing a flak gun, use a tank to drive through a small village (literally), kidnapped two people, changed sides three times during the course of a single running battle, blown up a dozen or so small buildings, blown up a six story building, blown up a huge factory, and driven a sports car into a swimming pool whilst running over an American hitman in a white tuxedo. Fun all round!

What looks very cool about this game is the co-op mode. You can literally drop in and out of other people's games at will! Unlike other games, Mercenaries 2 doesn't have any kind of restrictions in co-op. There are no puzzles or missions where you must work together, and if you wanted you could go from opening movie to end credits in co-op. When you get bored, you just leave and the host can carry on playing as normal. Co-op also gives access to some pretty fun extras, such as being able to winch up vehicles. So, if you've ever felt the need to use a tank whilst it's flying through the air, now you can!

I suppose I should point out that Mercs 2 is not the sleezy "I'm playing a total dipshit" game that GTA is. For starters, you get fined for messing with your allies (ie: accidentally carjacking your support girl's car and accidentally driving it into the ocean, accidentally.) or for killing civilians. Still, with no end of soldiers, rebels, fellow mercs, Jamaican pirates and the Chinese to shoot at, why would you bother killing civilians? I've only used Mattias so far, because frankly the Lara-Croft clone and the Token Black don't appeal to me. You can play as a Viking! Why the hell do we have those other two characters!? Anyway, each character does have a bonus of some kind. Not that I care.

This game is very simple, very shallow, and insanely fun. Buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Mercenaries 2

You sir, have made my day. I didn't even know this was out yet in the UK. Now I will be hitting the shops tonight to find it.

Screw Recession, I wanna blow shiz up

I will get home, plug it in, and crank that song up to full blast as I do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:11   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Morrissons is the place to go for it - I got the PS3 version for 25! ;D

Also, if you've got a PS3, be sure to post your PSN ID so we can hook up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Morrissons is the place to go for it - I got the PS3 version for 25! ;D

Also, if you've got a PS3, be sure to post your PSN ID so we can hook up.
I've got a sexbox, I'm afraid. It would have been fun though

I'll try sainsbury's, but they don't put out new stuff til saturday Short of hitting 15 miles to City, Woolies is my only hope.

Course, there is always a Morri's in Cromer, 10 mile away, and I do have the afternoon off....

Quote:
Old 12 Sep 2008, 16:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

It is insanly fun, and the amount of stuff you can destroy is awesome, in the first mission I followed the twisting road, untill I figured I could drive through the village buildings. ;D
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 16:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I liked the story behind it, and the game has the biggest sense of humor. Anyone who remembers driving a little pink moped wil know whatI'm talking about...

Not to mention hijacking flying helicopters. you know, like... from the ground.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:31   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yep, just done the "Devestator"

Got up to the canyon drive in the modded car. Awesome, this game has had me laughing out loud at some points. Its sheer brilliance.

Good job money is easy to get. I have so much collateral damage....

Quote:
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I hate when padestrians jump in front of me when I'm driving.... on the sidewalk.

And what is the deal with motercycles? I cannot get people to come off from them or tip over, yet the instant I hop on....
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Mercenaries 2 is a sequel to the X-Box exclusive original, only this time it's multi-platform.
I have Mercenaries 1 for PS2...

And I doubt I'll get this game. I loved the first, but the second just seems like more of the exact same.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I have Mercenaries 1 for PS2...
I was going to say the same.

It's an awesome game, but alas gets very repetitive and once you've used the best weapons 30 times it wears thin. Never seen the second one though.