Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jumpgate Evolution (Space combat MMO)
Old 19 Aug 2008, 18:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Jumpgate Evolution (Space combat MMO)

Well, after seeing the trailer, which tells us close to nothing about the actual game, I honestly don't know what to think of it. It's a Space combat MMO, which I have no experience with (EVE doesn't count), but so far, it looks pretty good to me. When it comes out, I'll be sure to download the trial. If it's any good, I'll maybe look into starting a TO clan/guild/whatever if there's enough interest.

Site server's down now (I think), but the official website is
http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/
Old 19 Aug 2008, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Jumpgate Evolution (Space combat MMO)

Hmm, reminds me much of Homeworld, doesn't look too bad honestly.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm Newtonian physics...?

That's crap, didn't want to be solving a whole list of differential equations did they, oh well?

[hr]

I must admit this MMO might go down the pan before it even starts, groups will be difficult to form and if EVE is anything to judge by, clashes will be short and end up with the most experienced side winning most of the time. Mindyou still shiny...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Hmm Newtonian physics...?

That's Klkn, didn't want to be solving a whole list of differential equations did they, oh well?
This is pretty much what the original was like, and it worked well. You had to carefully and skillfully maneuver your ship through jumpgates and docking. And an actual dogfight was a beautiful thing to see. Combat relied entirely on your skill as a player, not simply because you created your character a month before someone else.

At any rate, it should be interesting to see what is in the new version.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

looking at the trailer and some of the screen shots my actual first response was "Oh, someone actually did a remake of Earth and Beyond". An old MMO space game that ahd you in ships for the most part, three factions and everyone at war. Seems very familiar.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 10:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Hmph, no Mac support yet.
No Mac support means I can't try it, means I can't tell if it's good or not.

If I could though, I'd want these features

1. True newtonian physics. If you have drives powerful enough to be interesting, My ship and I should be able to make a very large kaboom out of anything…

2. Realistic weapon ranges. I don't mean just few (hundred) kilometres. I mean until the energy dissipates from my lasers or my shells hit something solid, possibly in the next solar system.

3. No sharding. (although this is probably just a pipedream)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 11:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...eh, not that interested. I'd have to know more about it, as of now it just looks like a crappier EVE.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 14:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
...eh, not that interested. I'd have to know more about it, as of now it just looks like a crappier EVE.
Umm... it's nothing like EVE. It's a Space Combat MMO, that means that you actually have to aim your weapons, adjust speed, etc. etc.

Quote:
Hmph, no Mac support yet.
No Mac support means I can't try it, means I can't tell if it's good or not.

If I could though, I'd want these features

1. True newtonian physics. If you have drives powerful enough to be interesting, My ship and I should be able to make a very large kaboom out of anything…

2. Realistic weapon ranges. I don't mean just few (hundred) kilometres. I mean until the energy dissipates from my lasers or my shells hit something solid, possibly in the next solar system.

3. No sharding. (although this is probably just a pipedream)
Mac? Heretic .

Could you explain #s 1 and 3 though? I have no clue what you mean by them.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 00:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

1. If it follows the proper model of newtonian (and einsteinien relativity too) I should be able to pick a spot to start in, then accelerate forever, until…
I hit something
I get just shy of c (lightspeed).
(if they've done it correctly) I hit my maximum impulse.

Now if I can hit ~3km/s with my accel in a reasonable timeframe, I want to be able to point my multi-ton ship at something, hit the eject button, and watch the fireworks. A quick estimation of Kinetic energy shows that at about 3km/s an object has kinetic energy equal to its own mass in dynamite/TNT. Thus, if I have a ship weighing several thousand tons, it should hit with an impact energy of a few kilotons. Enough to dent even the largest structure.

It gets worse if I can accelerate to an appreciable fraction of c. About 12-15% is sufficient to turn my ship in to a relativistic weapon. >30-40% and the impact of even a light ship will be a planet cracker.

[hr]

3. Sharding refers to the practice where players are split up over servers rather than everyone playing on one server. WoW servers are an excellent instance of sharding. EVE servers are the only instance of a non-sharded universe.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 02:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
looking at the trailer and some of the screen shots my actual first response was "Oh, someone actually did a remake of Earth and Beyond". An old MMO space game that ahd you in ships for the most part, three factions and everyone at war. Seems very familiar.
Firstly, seconded.

Secondly, because of the first part, DO WANT.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote