Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guitar Hero 3 and why I'm Klkn at it.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 19:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Guitar Hero 3 and why I'm Klkn at it.

I got this game today for the Xbox 360 and did fine on Easy difficulty. Finished every song on the first try except for the first song of the last section (forgotten the name) which I cannot do. I took two tries to beat the first boss, one try to defeat Slash and two tries to defeat Lou, the devil. Then I got to the credits and found Through the Fire and the Flames impossible. Medium difficulty, it seems, is at least three times as hard as easy mainly because it seems faster and I cannot manage the blue key because my little finger has atrophied because I have not been using it. Even if I can see the blue key coming about a second or two beforehand and manage to nail it, I lose track afterwards and end up missing a lot of notes.

Is there something I am missing here? I just find medium difficulty extremely difficult and no fun at all. I enjoy Easy difficulty because I enjoy playing the songs (especially Welcome to the Jungle) and don't mess up so much.

I managed to buy Slash's video in the guitar shop (saved up for it) and when he suddenly popped out of nowhere and challenged me to a boss fight I was surprised (even stood up and beat him in one try) and happy to oblige. When I got an encore and played Welcome to the Jungle with him, well,... that was the best part of the game! I enjoyed it so much I sang along while playing it.

So, a fun game, but very difficult on Medium and ridiculously easy to challenging on Easy.

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu
Default Re: Guitar Hero 3 and why I'm Klkn at it.

dw i've been playing bass and guitar for 3-4 years and i suck at guitar hero's too lol! i did a song i no perfictly and i only got summit like 50% for it...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well... just keep trying. I beat the game on Expert and I can assure you that as long as you keep at it and practice, you will get good.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Practicing at a game sounds a little wierd...

Then again this is the person who spent three weeks 'practicing' with an online freind to do a doubles COD4 ladder. Which we lost at anyway... damn modded controllers >

I only Ever play GH at a freind's place, went through fire and flames on expert pretty good, then managed to tank something on easy...
Old 17 Aug 2008, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just because it's a video game doesn't mean that you can't/shouldn't practice. You practice to get better at ANYTHING - video games, painting, sports, even grades all take practice to get better at.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Yeah, which is what I said. I only meant to say it sounded weird. If I hadn't buffed up my game: we wouldn't have made it to the pistol-only section in the first place, being the section AFTER no-scoping and knifing.

Hell, I practice no-scoping by running through Vacant alone and shooting at either posters, barrels or crates (mostly because when playing that level against other people, I don't exactly pay attention to the stuff lying around so much as the guy im trying to nail with iron sights.)
Old 18 Aug 2008, 00:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have no interest in beating expert. I only do easy because I like the songs. ^^

I should probably just get the songs to listen to.

And has anyone seen the Through the Fire and Flames video? Those guys are insane!!!
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i only play it to pretend i'm cool...that and its one of the best games around to play with a few mates and some beers...that and mariocart

however, i found some of the easy songs to be more difficult than the medium ones. always certain songs that i know really well, like paint it black, helicopter and whatever the disturbed song is...simply because, well, there's so much more in there, or the timing seems off in easy as opposed to medium, where there's a little more...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Right, I can already see where you are going wrong...

Firstly, never play Guitar Hero sitting down! I always play stood up, typically with one foot on my chair in a Power Metal stance. This does improve your playing.

Secondly, make sure the Guitar is properly set up. I see a lot of people play with the Guitar held against their chest like they're trying to breast feed it, and that's no good. Ideally, you want your left arm to be as straight as possible (this is only of major importance when playing a high-difficulty song, as having your arm bent restricts blood flow at the elbow). I typically have the guitar just above crotch level. Also, hold the Guitar horizontally, or as close to horizontal as you can. One of the main advantages of this is it makes Star Power a lot easier to obtain; if you play with the guitar held at 45 degrees, you'll have to go near vertical to unleash Star Power. If you hold it horizontal, you can go to 45 to activate. This, crucially, means you aren't throwing yourself into an awkward position and can continue playing during activation.

Thirdly, learn to use Hammer-ons. Hammer-ons are where a white-topped note follows on from a normal note. Providing you hit the "normal" note first, the white-topped notes do not require strumming. Classic examples are when the two notes seem too close together to play, which is why you aren't meant to. If you don't learn how to use Hammer-ons, you will really, really struggle on the more advanced songs.

Fourthly, force yourself to use your pinky. Really, really force yourself. Using all fingers is vital on later songs and higher difficulties. As a point of reference, your pinky should be on the Orange note for Hard / Expert, and you work back from there. Your index uses both red and green, though you need to shift for red-green chords. Do not try playing blue and orange with your pinky; it is a lot harder and you'll probably hurt yourself trying.

Finally, remember the most important rule; once you feel ready for Expert, ignore all advice given. Case in point; Less Talk More Rokk on Guitar Hero 2 is insanely hard if you try and play it "properly". As such, I play most of it using just two fingers, and sliding my whole hand up and down to follow the hammer-ons. Ultimately, only you know what works for you, and so you need to find how to beat the songs - the above should be a good place to start, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 17:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Right, I can already see where you are going wrong...

Firstly, never play Guitar Hero sitting down! I always play stood up, typically with one foot on my chair in a Power Metal stance. This does improve your playing.

Secondly, make sure the Guitar is properly set up. I see a lot of people play with the Guitar held against their chest like they're trying to breast feed it, and that's no good. Ideally, you want your left arm to be as straight as possible (this is only of major importance when playing a high-difficulty song, as having your arm bent restricts blood flow at the elbow). I typically have the guitar just above crotch level. Also, hold the Guitar horizontally, or as close to horizontal as you can. One of the main advantages of this is it makes Star Power a lot easier to obtain; if you play with the guitar held at 45 degrees, you'll have to go near vertical to unleash Star Power. If you hold it horizontal, you can go to 45 to activate. This, crucially, means you aren't throwing yourself into an awkward position and can continue playing during activation.

Thirdly, learn to use Hammer-ons. Hammer-ons are where a white-topped note follows on from a normal note. Providing you hit the "normal" note first, the white-topped notes do not require strumming. Classic examples are when the two notes seem too close together to play, which is why you aren't meant to. If you don't learn how to use Hammer-ons, you will really, really struggle on the more advanced songs.

Fourthly, force yourself to use your pinky. Really, really force yourself. Using all fingers is vital on later songs and higher difficulties. As a point of reference, your pinky should be on the Orange note for Hard / Expert, and you work back from there. Your index uses both red and green, though you need to shift for red-green chords. Do not try playing blue and orange with your pinky; it is a lot harder and you'll probably hurt yourself trying.

Finally, remember the most important rule; once you feel ready for Expert, ignore all advice given. Case in point; Less Talk More Rokk on Guitar Hero 2 is insanely hard if you try and play it "properly". As such, I play most of it using just two fingers, and sliding my whole hand up and down to follow the hammer-ons. Ultimately, only you know what works for you, and so you need to find how to beat the songs - the above should be a good place to start, however.
My god, it's all true. Listen to Wargamer.