Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Historical War Games
Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:37   #1 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Historical War Games

I'm looking to start a historical war game or two but I haven't really played any (everything has been fantasy or scifi). I'm considering Flames of War but I would like to know what you guys recommend and why you like them. It really doesn't matter what eras or geographical locations the game is set in; I've just kinda got the itch to add a realistic war game to the stable.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Historical War Games

I dabble in Flames of War a bit, and my only complaint is the way that squads work. A very solid, realistic game in my opinion.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 20:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I have to tip you about Secrets of the Thir Reich.

Alternative way of WW2 ending. German is beset on all sides and used a gas, called v-gas. Turns out this gas turns people inte zombies!

Then we have the werewolfes, vampires, werebears and the mechas.

And ofc authentic troops and panzers is in there to.

SkullzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2008, 13:10   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

viorlashasui what was it that you didn't like about the squad mechanics?

C'est le Vinaigre! Secrets sounds cool and I will probably look it up in the future but I really think the next game I buy is going to be realistic in nature.

Does anyone play anything in Roman, American Civil War, or Napoleonic in nature?

I'm starting to think 15mm scale because the models are so much cheaper than 25 or 28mm.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 13:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox

I'm starting to think 15mm scale because the models are so much cheaper than 25 or 28mm.
[shameless commercial] Not always Secrets of the third reich wins again!
For the price of, lets say, the new Cold Ones, you could buy yourself a small army.

For three boxes, you have the equal to a 1,500p army. If I remember correctly.
SkullzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 04:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
viorlashasui what was it that you didn't like about the squad mechanics?
The squads-are-one-unit-and-act-as-such concept bugs me a little. I like to be able to deal with my troops on an individual basis, rather than as a block of guys.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by viorlashasui
The squads-are-one-unit-and-act-as-such concept bugs me a little. I like to be able to deal with my troops on an individual basis, rather than as a block of guys.
I see. That's pretty common in the 15mm game range though, it doesn't really bother me so much.