Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is the PS3 REALLY expensive?
Old 25 Jul 2008, 11:16   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Is the PS3 REALLY expensive?

Surfing the net and chatting on gaming sites, I am still hearing a lot of people citing how expensive the PS3 is, which I find odd because it's halved from 600 to 300 where I am. :

Anyway, based on a YouTube vid I saw, I'd like anyone with knowledge of the 360 to help me out here, by trying to price a 360 as close to the PS3 as you can.

The most readily available PS3 is the 40-gig model, so we'll go off that.

For 300 you get;

The Console.
A SIXAXIS [bluetooth] controller.
A Blueray DVD player.
A Wireless Router.
Access to the internet for browsing / gaming.

Now, based on my working out, to equal this the 360 will need the following:
The Console.
A Controller (if possible, one which doesn't require batteries).
HD-DVD / BlueRay capabilities (the 360 has a HD-DVD add-on, right?).
A Wireless Router add-on.
Access to X-Box Live. For the sake of comparisson, price for 1 year subscription.

So, does anyone have any off-hand experience at what the above X-Box gear would cost? If you do, please provide it; I'd love to be able to put the whole "PS3 costs too much!" silliness to bed. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 12:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Is the PS3 REALLY expensive?

Is this just a rant about the 360? Cause its sure coming off as one. If it can stay clean, fine, but otherwise it'll be padlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

It's not a rant about the 360, it's a rant about people who claim the PS3 is overpriced without giving an equal comparisson.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:15   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Cool.

The cheapest console version of the 360 is the arcade, which is a POS. I don't know if you want to use that as a standard, or want to use the average model, so I'll start with the arcade.

Arcade - 149. With it, you get:

Wireless controller, Arcade games, 256mb card, and tv cable. Not great, but its the crap version.

You don't get as much with it as the PS3, but you are looking at maybe 50-100 extra for HDMI cable, Hard drive, and battery pack on the controller (if rechargable batteries are that difficult to use). About 50 cheaper, and now comes with pretty much equal.

You've mentioned the HDDVD addon - this is now stopped, because HD lost. Until such time as games need to be on Blu Ray, its really not important. The 360 is still equalling the blu ray games in quality on PS3 - I've played many comparisons. This won't last for long, I'll admit, but for now, its fine.

So to sum up - the bottom line 360, with addition noted above matches as follows:

The Console. - Check
A SIXAXIS [bluetooth] controller. - No motion control, but a superior design. Motion Control arriving at the end of the year, Wii Style, not limited Sixaxis.
A Blueray DVD player. - Normal DvD player. See comment above.
A Wireless Router. Various ports to enable wireless/wired.
Access to the internet for browsing / gaming. - Access to the internet for gaming on Live.

Given time, maybe 6 months to a year, when the PS3 raises the bar and makes Blu Ray gaming the next level, then Xbox will begin to slip. Until then, there is no need for addons, as it is equalling PS3 Bluray graphics on its normal discs. The main issue will be game length - as shown by FF13. Equalling the graphics? Piece of piss. Fitting the lengthy game to a normal disc? Now you getting an issue.

As for paying for Live, if you can't justify 5 a month for a superior service, then don't pay it. The cost compared to gaming time and quality is neglible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's not a rant about the 360, it's a rant about people who claim the PS3 is overpriced without giving an equal comparisson.
As for this - the PS3 WAS overpriced. When released, it was insanely expensive to buy, more so than the console was worth. However, 300 for a next gen system is about right. I wouldn't say its overpriced anymore, I would argue they have the cost about right now.

Quote:
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
i'm going to chime in a defence here...

i think the PS3 is expensive.

in no way, shape or form do i think it is overpriced.

you get a blue-ray player (what, 800+ at the moment was the last i heard but that was when they came out)

you get a wireless controller that DOESNT REQUIRE BATTERIES FROM THE WORD GO!!! (i'd put an extra bit on for that)

the graphics are awe-inspiring

the frame-rate is just silly

it is leaps and bounds ahead of its competetors in terms of power.

HOWEVER, i cant afford it > so as far as i am concerned it is expensive, but worth it.

the wii i think is a bargin for what you get as well. if you have a bunch of mates who are happy to act like kids for a few hours on mario and sonic at the olympics (complete with standing in the middle of the living room VR fencing with each other 8) ) then it simply cant be beat for the enjoyment factor.

the 360 is the middle ground at the moment. it is more powerful than the wii (which is not designed to be powerful i might add). it has a massive selection of games and has good graphics/power output.

i think that every console has its advantages and whatnot. but most people (like me) just call the PS3 expensive because they cant afford it.

after all, which would you prefer us cheapskates said:

Question: why wont you buy a PS3?

Answer 1: becuase its too much of a good deal and far cheaper than buying the stuff seperately (blue-ray etc).

or answer 2: becuase it's too expensive for me to buy

i vote option 2
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:32   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

So, for a run-of-the-mill model with equal features (or as equal as you can get), the 360 is still cheaper. 50 without Live, but (here's the kicker) 10 more with a year's subscription (assuming 5 a month) to Live.

I know 60 a year sounds cheap, but that'd buy you a brand new PS3 game! In other words, you could buy two games a year instead of 1 if you quit X-Box live! (yes, PS3 games are very expensive... :'()

If we assume a console has a five year lifespan, that's 300 for the life of the console. 300 sounds a lot doesn't it?

On that note then, let's compare service; every time I log in to Metal Gear Online, I get a popup where Konami apologises to me that something in their online store isn't working. Is X-Box Live reliable for downloading new maps and similar for your games?

Quote:
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:43   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
So, for a run-of-the-mill model with equal features (or as equal as you can get), the 360 is still cheaper. 50 without Live, but (here's the kicker) 10 more with a year's subscription (assuming 5 a month) to Live.

I know 60 a year sounds cheap, but that'd buy you a brand new PS3 game! In other words, you could buy two games a year instead of 1 if you quit X-Box live! (yes, PS3 games are very expensive... :'()
True, but I would rather pay for a superior service than an inferior one for free. I've used PSN once or twice, it was enough to convince me that they could have spent just a little more time on it, and to stick with Live. I wasn't impressed, it felt un-finished.

Quote:
If we assume a console has a five year lifespan, that's 300 for the life of the console. 300 sounds a lot doesn't it?
Plus Games, of course, but they are all the same in that regard. I think 300 is not a bad price for a next gen system.

Quote:
On that note then, let's compare service; every time I log in to Metal Gear Online, I get a popup where Konami apologises to me that something in their online store isn't working. Is X-Box Live reliable for downloading new maps and similar for your games?
We never really have to have any apology messages when we log in. We had one once, when the servers were strained due to a massive increase in online play that they didn't plan enough for. As for reliable download for maps, its fine. Fast as greased lighting, (about 70% faster byte for byte than a new PC on the same connection).

The fabled LiveNoobs are usually limited to one or two games, meaning that everyone else is clear from their profanity crap, although Halo is a good one to avoid if you don't want to get sworn at by kids :

As I said, PS3 at 600 - overpriced rip off, not worth the cost in a million years.
PS3 at 300 - fair price for the console, not overpriced at all.

Quote:
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:53   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sorry, I meant that X-Box Live would cost you 300 in total, assuming you have a 5-year subscription. Should have made that clear.

Quote:
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:56   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Sorry, I meant that X-Box Live would cost you 300 in total, assuming you have a 5-year subscription. Should have made that clear.
I see that now.

Still, its not much. For the price of one month Live, I can get 1 and 2/3's of a pint out a month. In a slow month, I will still spend maybe 12+ hours on Live, either gaming or downloading. Thats 40p an hour. 40p. Thats nothing, for the entertainment value.

Quote:
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

True. Even if you tried tacking it onto the cost of the games, then you'd still pay less for a 360 title than a PS3 one.

But as you say, when the PS3 finally gets some developers who are willing to use its hardware, it'll be amazing; compare early PS2 games with the later ones, the difference is mind-blowing!

Quote: