Warhammer 40K Forum

Super Smash! Brawl vs Melee
Old 06 Jul 2008, 10:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Super Smash! Brawl vs Melee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
How come no one has mentioned SUPER SMASH BROS 64 yet? It was in every way superior to Melee :P
Okay, name three. If you can, then I might concede, but I damn well doubt it =P I can only think of *one*, which has since been fixed in Brawl.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Circus
Quote:
How come no one has mentioned SUPER SMASH BROS 64 yet? It was in every way superior to Melee :P
Okay, name three. If you can, then I might concede, but I damn well doubt it =P I can only think of *one*, which has since been fixed in Brawl.
Hmm...

1. Melee was too fast-paced, while 64 was slower and easier to handle (fixed in Brawl :P)
2. 64 didn't have Flat Zone and the Ice Climbe's stage. Those were so damn annoying it's not even funny (and it has NOT been fixed in Brawl > )
3. The Hyrule Castle stage wasn't in Melee. That was the best stage for Nessball! (PK Thunder into another Ness, who attempts to whack it away with his bat, with two more Nesses trying to catch the reflected PK Thunder. Best game ever :P)

Plus... um... it's more classic :P

Keep on topic guys - Silk
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 08:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm...

1. Melee was too fast-paced, while 64 was slower and easier to handle (fixed in Brawl :P)
2. 64 didn't have Flat Zone and the Ice Climbe's stage. Those were so damn annoying it's not even funny (and it has NOT been fixed in Brawl > )
3. The Hyrule Castle stage wasn't in Melee. That was the best stage for Nessball! (PK Thunder into another Ness, who attempts to whack it away with his bat, with two more Nesses trying to catch the reflected PK Thunder. Best game ever :P)

Plus... um... it's more classic :P

Keep on topic guys - Silk
1) Couldn't you hack the speed? Admittedly it feels more controlled in Brawl but I had no issues with Melee's speed.
2) Flat Zone is awesome. The Ice Climbers' stage is mildly annoying, but just don't play it.
3) Never tried what you suggest, but Final Destination should do the job nicely.

Melee has everything the original has and more. There is only *one* thing missing, as I mentioned earlier, which has since been fixed in Brawl. And that is character specific entrances at the start of a match.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 13:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
1) Couldn't you hack the speed? Admittedly it feels more controlled in Brawl but I had no issues with Melee's speed.
2) Flat Zone is awesome. The Ice Climbers' stage is mildly annoying, but just don't play it.
3) Never tried what you suggest, but Final Destination should do the job nicely.

Melee has everything the original has and more. There is only *one* thing missing, as I mentioned earlier, which has since been fixed in Brawl. And that is character specific entrances at the start of a match.
1) Brawl is superior. Let's leave it at that :P
2) Flat Zone and Flat Zone 2 are just plain annoying! :P
3) Final Destination's just not the same as Hyrule Castle... :P

Anyway, back on topic...

Apparently the Resident Evil series is pretty good. I've only played number 4, which is absolutely awesome and is on PC, so you might want to try that out

Another good game was Star Wars Republic Commando. I probably got about 5 playthroughs of the campaign alone without getting bored!
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 23:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Okay I can name more than three but I'll meet your criteria +1 (in case one is the one you've thought of).

1) Nerfs were handed out where there really shouldn't have been. The one that was actually needed (Ness) was done to ridiculous levels.

2) Wavedashing, a ridiculous glitch/tactic that took advantage of the game's gravity to induce something not intended.

3) Levels, I truly loved some of the old levels. Cutting any was a crime when compared to some of the ones from Melee.

4) Character balance, Melee took a whole new set of characters that practically displaced the old set to make way for stronger new ones. I get the DBZ feeling of "and then the stronger opponents arrive, and then after we defeat them more arrive, and then..." (Yes, I know I didn't use proper punctuation, that was intentional)

On topic though...

Please for the love of God find and play Phantom Dust for the Xbox! Please get to Chapter 3 before making any assumptions or opinions.

Please please please play it!

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 22:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02
Default Brawl.

I was wondering if anyone else has the new Smash bros. game yet? I've been playing it nearly non-stop since I got it (save for breaks to go and play MGS4 at Wargamer's) and the amazingly fun gameplay coupled sheer amount of unlockable content keeps you motivated even after hours. The mini-games are a good laugh and the story mode is reasonably well wrote, as well as having some really amazing cut scenes.

So If anyone else has it yet, or is thinking of getting it...What do you think? ;D
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 22:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Re: Brawl.

I have it, got it back when it came out. I unfortunately misplaced the disc

Honestly, I didn't really like it, as I really don't like fighting games as much as I enjoy FPS and RPG and RTS games... My friends all talked me into getting it...
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 22:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Quote:
Okay I can name more than three but I'll meet your criteria +1 (in case one is the one you've thought of).

1) Nerfs were handed out where there really shouldn't have been. The one that was actually needed (Ness) was done to ridiculous levels.

2) Wavedashing, a ridiculous glitch/tactic that took advantage of the game's gravity to induce something not intended.

3) Levels, I truly loved some of the old levels. Cutting any was a crime when compared to some of the ones from Melee.

4) Character balance, Melee took a whole new set of characters that practically displaced the old set to make way for stronger new ones. I get the DBZ feeling of "and then the stronger opponents arrive, and then after we defeat them more arrive, and then..." (Yes, I know I didn't use proper punctuation, that was intentional)
This is still kind of on topic as we are discussing a classic game.

1) The only nerf I even noticed was on Kirby and by GOD he was crying out for it (says he who used Kirby to death in the original SSB, mainly because nobody else knew what game he was from). Oh yeah, and everybody's throws were nerfed, which kind of makes sense as now it focuses more on Smash attacks (which is pretty obvious from the name of the game) rather than grabbing and flinging people.

2) How the hell is wavedashing a glitch? How was it "taking advantage" of anything? It was just the dodge mechanic in the air, adding a nice extra dimension to gameplay. I'm not sure how it's "not intended" when all of the characters have their own animations for it.

3) I agree that cutting anything is BAD. Ideally they'd have kept all the characters (which they did) from the original to Melee as well as all the levels (which they didn't). Again, I'd have rather they kept all characters and levels from Melee to Brawl, which they didn't, which perplexes me. Sure, people might not know who Roy is and Pichu was pretty much Pikachu but lighter and more powerful (which, friends, makes him DIFFERENT) I think it's definitely a step back to cut anything out of a series that makes its name on having everything Nintendo do. Even Dr Mario was amusing, and they could have kept him just as a re-skin of Mario! Besides, I quite *liked* Pichu on his own merits. Plus he got to wear goggles. Admittedly in Brawl Pikachu can have goggles now, which is nice, but Pikachu has received a buff the size of Everest in the shape of Thunder being the most horrendously abusable OHKO I've ever seen.

4) With the exception of the just mentioned Thunder OHKO the characters have been incredibly well balanced for such a large and varied cast across the whole series. There is nothing in say, Falco, that you can't compete with with say, Samus (this is in Melee). It's all down to how you use the character. I could easily have complained in Melee about Fox being stupidly rubbish because I couldn't use him at all, but the fact was he was balanced - he was reasonably strong and very fast, just because I couldn't control his speed is my issue, not one of game balance. In Brawl the characters are also balanced.

Except Yoshi. I'd love for someone to explain to me how anyone is supposed to use him well because I sure as hell can't see it. The poor T'auk'cka doesn't even have a triple jump, and he's the only one who doesn't. Well, and Jigglypuff but she has an octuple jump thanks to ripping off Kirby.

You may call me Circus.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 23:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Brawl.

I've got it, got it when it came out, I'd unlocked all the characters within 48 hours and I finished getting all the stages earlier today.

Storyline is amazing.

It's just a great game, but rather than talking about it in depth here I'll wait to see if people have issues with it and I'll respond to them instead (as I've done in the Classic Games thread).

Tarik, do you have the Spear Pillar yet? I'll warn you right now, that is the most insane stage ever. Don't expect to try and play a serious match on it until you've had stupid amounts of practise and you're playing a human of similar capability. I'm doing one on ones with Level 8 CPUs at the moment and on Spear Pillar I got absolutely totally mashed.

Normally they're very close matches (hence why I play them - walkovers aren't fun), but I got mashed. Absolutely MASHED.

You may call me Circus.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 00:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

1) Kirb did not need to get nerfed like he did. Niether did Ness (he can barely be played at a competitive level by even the best players he was nerfed so badly, since I played very well with both I could tell of how drastic the hits were.

2) You don't know what the hell your talking about obviously, I will let you have time to go and research what wavedashing actually was (no, for your information, it wasn't the air-dodging that I was talking about).

3) We are in agreement it seems.

4) We are not talking about the whole series, I will be the first to proclaim Brawl as the reigning leader of the pack. Melee had a number of characters that broke the ranking system. As I mentioned, most of the top-tier characters were dis-proportionately newer too.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote