Rome Total War Battle Report

Name: Battle of the Straight of Kerch
Map Name: Moon River
Time of Day: Dawn
Weather: Light Fog
Leaders:
Anchises, III General – Macedonian Army
Datuvahya Tahzib – Parathion Fourth melophoroi

Alchaeus of Gazzoros had advanced North after his defeat at Constantinople. He’d been driven off the road back to Greece, leaving his only option to advance and seek refuge in a town; Herram. Herram is situated on the border of the Kerch Straight, and Alchaeus needed to take it by force. He sent up his most trustworthy general, Kleidemos, but he was killed by a wild shaft after the first attempt to take the town. Angered by this, Alchaeus’ only option was to advance with a force commanded by Anchises, Kleidemos’ son, and try once again to take the town. Alchaeus expected a close victory, or a crushing defeat. The town was under the command of Perseus, king of Parthia’s most opulent and cunning general, Datuvahya, who was a strict and clever fighter. Anchises had developed a strategy to use the main bridge crossing the Kerch over to the town as a distraction to then send cavalry round a side shallow and attack the rear of the melophoroi soldiers.

Macedonian Army:
General’s Bodyguard
Companion Cavalry
Companion Cavalry
Companion Cavalry
Companion Cavalry
Greek Cavalry
Greek Cavalry
Royal Pikemen
Royal Pikemen
Royal Pikemen

Persian Army:
Cataphract Bodyguard
Cataphracts
Cataphracts
Cataphracts
Camel Cataphracts
Camel Cataphracts
Persian Infantry
Persian Infantry
Persian Infantry
Hillmen

The Macedonian cavalry hid in the vegetation on the far left of the river, keeping a watchful eye for the signal to advance. They held a suitable distance away from the army, facing the river in the shallowest banks. The main body of the army was positioned on the tight bridge, creating a deadly encounter to any troops. The six units of cavalry waited silently as the foolish Persian army advanced up the bridge, unaware of the plan outlined by the Macedonians.

Back on the bridge, the infantry stood awaiting the oncoming Persian cataphracts. They held a tightly packed formation closing off all sides of escape on the bridge, creating a deadly pit for the Persians. The phalanx formation was a common one; and most effective against cavalry and elephants. This was a strong advantage for Anchises, as the majority of the Persian army was heavily but vulnerable cataphract cavalry. Anchises stood commanding the army far behind the lines, on a steep hill, ready to charge if frenzy broke out.

The two sides met as the purple soldiers clashed into the pikes, speared and killed as they hit with immense force. The spear wall was a brilliant distraction, as the whole Persian army was now stuck on the bridge. The general gave the order for the cavalry to advance, keeping a quick but silent gallop. The cavalry advanced through the shallows and cut short of the grass, swiftly closing in on the Persians. Many Persians fell to the spears, whilst Macedonian casualties were far from many.

The Persian commander fell as a spear transfixed him. The Persians were now discouraged, and many fled, but they had not realised their fate and were too late to escape the deadly cavalry. The Companions and Greek mounted soldiers slaughtered the Persians on the bridge as the infantry moved in to eliminate the cataphracts. The Macedonians had won the battle on a glorious day, as morning broke out.

A wonderful battle, quickly won. ;D It was real fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Rome Total War Battle Report

Very unconventional to see, but a good battle report all the same. +1 for your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

That has convinced me I need to show you all a proper Bridge Battle, and re-enact 300! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
That has convinced me I need to show you all a proper Bridge Battle, and re-enact 300! ;D
Oh the mmost beautiful bridge battles are by far Greek Spartan Hoplites vs Carthage en mass!! :P

Thanks Rafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Heresy! Rome Total War must be played at unit scale: huge. Anything else is blasphemy!

Also is this against a computer? Because like....he uses suicidal tactics just like computer players but normally you don't see computers choose such top heavy army. (like..five units of cataphracts is insane and also kinda stupid) he could have at least kept it close by getting some persian cavalry archers.

Or ANY archers. Phalanxes are such a once trick pony. Bah, gimme Legionnaires anyday. :P

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedmongoose
Heresy! Rome Total War must be played at unit scale: huge. Anything else is blasphemy!

Also is this against a computer? Because like....he uses suicidal tactics just like computer players but normally you don't see computers choose such top heavy army. (like..five units of cataphracts is insane and also kinda stupid) he could have at least kept it close by getting some persian cavalry archers.

Or ANY archers. Phalanxes are such a once trick pony. Bah, gimme Legionnaires anyday. :P
Line up your Legionnaires with 'fire at will' activated, and by the time a Phalanx gets to you, your numerical superiority over shadows the Phalanx bonuses in combat .
Old 26 Jun 2008, 13:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well the hoplite phalanxes with the historically inaccurate short pikes that only present 3 ranks of spears can butcher any pre-marian legion of princepes and hastati, even after they have broken rank.
also the German's spear warband is insane, it beats hoplites in phalanx to phalanx and is the first unit after peasants that you train. I'm glad that RTW took so many liberties on the historical side :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 13:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait, Rome: Total War has Spartans in it?

Now I have even more reason to buy it even though I already have Mediaval 2. ;D
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 14:08   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
Wait, Rome: Total War has Spartans in it?

Now I have even more reason to buy it even though I already have Mediaval 2. ;D
They are the most hard-as-nails infantry unit the Greeks can recruit, but you can only recruit them in two cities (Sparta, and the one just south of Rome), and even then only when the settlement is advanced.

Quote:
Well the hoplite phalanxes with the historically inaccurate short pikes that only present 3 ranks of spears can butcher any pre-marian legion of princepes and hastati, even after they have broken rank.
also the German's spear warband is insane, it beats hoplites in phalanx to phalanx and is the first unit after peasants that you train. I'm glad that RTW took so many liberties on the historical side :
Sod all that! We can accept the slight inaccuracies in the Phalanx mechanic... what about the Ninjas!? You complain about Phalanx and totally gloss over the fact Roman forces can recruit Ninjas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah the arcani are stupid too, the Extended Greek mod makes hoplites form a shield wall and fight in the proper Greek phalanx with overhand spears instead of pikes and gets rid of other innaccurate things such as arcani and Urban cohorts being gods. I play as Greeks or Carthaginians most of the time now, forgot about arcani...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote