Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MGS4, an As-I-Play Review
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:34   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default MGS4, an As-I-Play Review

So, I've finally got myself a Playstation 3 (happy dance!).

I've also got MGS4 (more dancing!).

And now I'm going to tell you what I think of it...

Well, I've only played for an hour or two so far, but my initial impression was one of absolute shock and awe. I knew it was going to look sweet graphically, but nothing prepared me for just how astounding it is! The game uses the same top-notch graphics for both FMV and gaming, and the gaming world feels so very real. I gave up some time just to be silly; shooting pots, shooting bottles, shooting chickens... you can really interact with the world, and it interacts back. Sorted!

It took me a while to settle into the controls, and to be honest I'm still not thrilled with them. Maybe I'm just playing the game wrong (it is a sneaking game, after all), but combat is a tricky thing. You have to set your weapon, then side-step around the place until you find someone to shoot, then shoot them. There's no running at full tilt, firing from the hip. Ah well, the fact CQC is back makes up for it; there's no finer way to take out a foe than to kick his legs out and slam a knife through his neck!

Whilst learning the controls, I also learned a fair bit about these new "Gekko" Metal Gears; they are shit scary! I was trying to evade them by going through buildings, and moved up to the top of a two-story building. I spot one below through a large hole in the wall, and so pull back to stop it shooting me. I thought I was safe... until the damn thing climbs up the wall to get to me!

This was just the first instance of the AI screwing me royally; with the exception of one blind terrorist who ran past me to examine the guy I'd just shot, the enemies in MGS4 seem to know what they're doing. They talk to one another, they're passable with weaponry (it is just the first level...), and if you're dumb enough to run across open ground they'll empty a full mag into you. In narrow spaces they are less than able (I managed to knife my way through an entire building with very little injury suffered) but I expect this to change as I get deeper into the game.

Let's focus on what MGS4 is all about; sneaking. Octocamo is a sweet system, whereby your uniform changes colour to match the surroundings. All you need to do is stay still while crouched, lying down or pressed against an object, and Octocamo will change to match the environment! This sounds useful, but in my experience the terrain changes so fast you won't get the best camo unless you've just jumped into a foxhole to try and evade detection. That said, running around with a uniform that looks like a tiled floor is just funny... to me, anyway.

Last thing I really, really need to mention is the iPod. You find it pretty early on, and can obtain bonus tracks to play on it. The iPod contains music from the Metal Gear series, and whilst it might seem an unimportant addition, it makes the game so hillariously funny that I would replay the game just to do it all with happy, bouncy JPop in the background. If I can find the MGS2 Intro theme, I am going to be rocking out for hours!

Well, there's not much else I can say about the game just yet. So far, however, MGS4 is shaping up to be one seriously tasty game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: MGS4, an As-I-Play Review

Okay, I now have the first Chapter firmly under my belt.

So what else has this game given me so far? Well, Johnny deserves a whole paragraph all to himself. Yes, that comic relief character is back, and this time he's a "ten year veteran", and member of an Elite taskforce. Johnny being Johnny, however, he spends most of the time complaining about his stomach. His appearance into the game is an all-time classic moment, where a rebel soldier interrupts his colonostic misery by kicking over the drum he's hiding in (it isn't as gross as it sounds, but the image of him running away with his arse hanging out is so damn funny). Johnny continues to (un)impress by getting his arse kicked by just about everyone who turns up, and... well... for various reasons I'm sure you'll all be doing what I did on the 3rd floor balcony; giving a groan of sympathy for our poor friend.

Speaking of friends, we get to meet some rather awesome cyber-chicks. Yes, the Gun-bunnies are out in force, and they come in all shapes and sizes! Again, not wanting to spoil anything, the intro by the Beauty and The Beast formation is impressive, and the whole section I dubbed the "Tengu fight" shared the hell out of me. This game really makes you realise how far gaming has come, with enemies coming at you from all directions! I was watching doorways for ambush, only to have my enemy come bouncing off the walls and dropping out of the ceiling!

Whilst the gameplay is very linear (as expected), you do get a bit of play as to how you go about your mission. For example, you can sneak down side alleys, go through / over buildings, or just gather up a possť of militia men and gun everyone down (and if like me you're packing 800 rounds for the machinegun, why not?).

Old characters come back, new ones show up, and I'm left almost shocked that we've discovered someone who is more socially and mentally retarded than Raiden. And, on the subject of Raiden, I probably won't be the only one who isn't 100% sure on "Sunny's" gender.

Next Act is about to begin, and I have no doubt it'll rock!

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 19 Jun 2008, 20:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Sweet. I've been a fan of the other ones (well, the second wasn't that great), and this sounds great. Now all I need to do is to steal a PS3 somehow...
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Good stuff. Not meaning to hijack the topic or anything, but would I be able to play MGS4 without ever having played the other ones, yet still be able to understand what's going on, who people are, etc.?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
Good stuff. Not meaning to hijack the topic or anything, but would I be able to play MGS4 without ever having played the other ones, yet still be able to understand what's going on, who people are, etc.?
Hmm...

Well, thus far I have no idea who the B&TB unit is (other than what they can do, more or less). I can guess who Sunny is, but I can't be certain...

You might not recognise the significance of some characters, but that won't be too bad. Yeah, you can play it without playing the others. It's better to have played the other MGS games, but you should be okay without having done so.

Quote:
Old 19 Jun 2008, 23:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would suggest having basic knowledge of the other games...which can easily be found on wikipedia.

The game is amazing and I can't wait to beat it so I can play through it again.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 23:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

But main question is: "Is our beloved cardboard box back?"
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 07:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
What do you think?

Quote:
Old 20 Jun 2008, 14:45   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Man... Im half tempted to buy a PS3 Just for this one game :-\

But when you consider the amount of games ive got for my lowly (now wrecked 360) It just seems like a waste.

Ah well... A karma point for the whole thing is a coming your way.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 18:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Of course, it wouldn't be metal gear without it

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote