Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Game Idea: Based on Sid Meier's Pirates
Old 18 Jun 2008, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Game Idea: Based on Sid Meier's Pirates

Okay, if you clicked to read this thread, then I'm sure you've at least heard of Sid Meier's Pirates and have a bit of an idea about it's gameplay.

Personally, I find the game to be quite awesome, if a bit repetitive over time. I like how you sail your ships from point A to point B, how you can upgrade it, how you control it during battles, and modify it's looks (to an extent.) I like how you can play nations against each other and control your sailors during town attacks.

Now, with that said, onward to the idea!

Think what I just explained except...with a Science Fiction theme. ;D Instead of a two dimensional fleet battle, imagine a three dimensional battle; left, right, and now up and down. You can upgrade your ship with things like "Cyrogenics" to increase the number of crew it has or upgrade it's hanger to add fighters. You can choose what color the armor is and design a patch for it. You command your small little pirate fleet from one star system to the next! Is it just me or does that not sound awesome? Have a contingent of Marines onboard of planetary strikes...the more successful battles you have, the more experienced you Marines, Sailors, and pilots get...

I mean, that's just an awesome idea to me. And I've got more when I really think about it.

So tell me what you think. ^^
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Game Idea: Based on Sid Meier's Pirates

I would totally buy that.

Oh and the graphics would be mind blowing, too. (Of course they would be incredibly scalable, for those with older computers.)

Hey, there should totally be a thread for "dream games." I have tons of ideas, most of which will probably lack the tech to support them until 2030 or so. >
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Shoot, you could make this game using current graphics.
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, you definitely could. It's just that space games are so rare, and it seems that most I see have okay graphics... I'd really like to see one done up more on par with Crysis.

Would there be ground battles too? And if so, would they be limited to small scale skirmishes, or could they be epic engagements?
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

There'd be ground battles (Marines) but it'd be small scale "skirmishes" to take over a planet, y'know? Like, you invade the planet's capital and if you win you get to replace the planet's governor with a different clan (I envision a variety of "nations" or "clans", no factions is the word I'm thinking of) and they're constantly at war with each other and you're just some "free" muscle.

Just play Sid Meier's Pirates and add in Sci-fi. :P That's all this really is. Maybe a bit more grand and with more options/customization, but that's what it is in essence. I'm currently working all the options and stuff. I'm no programmer, but I know I can develop a game to an extent (actually, I probably could make this game, albeit with some meh graphics. I'm slowly teaching myself game programming.)

Where's Geeky when I need him? :-\
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmmm....

It could be done. But really, I think it might be easier to mod something like Star Wars: Empire at war, since it already has a space engine and ground battles and all.

Great idea.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Never played Empire at War, maybe that's why I didn't think of that first.

I mean, games like "Eve" and "Sins of a Solar Empire" come to mind, but this isn't quite that, y'know?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 06:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sea combat, maneuvering for broadside fire, but science fiction... That sounds like David Weber's Honor Harrington novels, which I would love to play if somebody could figure out how to do the fairly awful math. Ships accelerating at 5-600 gravities and engaging at ranges where you have to lead a moving target with laser weapons makes for some nasty calculations!

For those not familiar with the stories, the "engines" used by starships make the top and bottom impenetrable for both incoming and outgoing fire. Most of the weapons are mounted on the sides of a ship, which is somewhat shielded, and the front and back are undefended. Most battles involve each side trying to "cross the T" and fire at the front or back of their enemy from one of their sides.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 06:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The math wouldn't be too terrible, just figuring out what math would be correct would be. Or maybe not, I dunno, I've never really done any physics.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I mean, it doesn't have to be too complicated. I mean, the big thing I've noticed about SM's Pirates is that you can still play the game and win if you don't understand the rules (and still have fun) but if you do understand the rules and the finer points, it still is a good game.

For instance, the ship fights. The primary objective is to maneuver in for broadsides. You get three choices of shot, round shot: Damage Hull; Chain Shot: Damage sails and effect speed; Grape Shot: Kill sailors so that when you do board it, it's easier. You don't exactly have to lead the target or take angles into too much consideration but you do do better if you do. I mean, when I first played I just went in circles around my target randomly broadsiding it.

I've taken the game manual and I'm trying to like, edit it a bit to give a better idea. I have screen shots in my mind's eye but I suck at drawing and Timjim's (most likely) too busy to draw a couple pictures for me. :-\ I'll ask him though.

(Hey maybe I could get Geeky and Timjim to help me develop this. ^_^)