Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Airsoft or Paintball?
Old 13 May 2007, 04:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Airsoft or Paintball?

I'm a recreational paintball player, but I've been moving towards tactical paintball (TacTen, MilSim). Tactics, manouvers, and squads have become my interest, and I've tried to incorporate them into paintball games. The problem is that people who play paintball seem to be in two camps.

There are the recballers who go into the forest, maintain loose cohesion and react individually to threats. It's a game where two teams of lone wolves face off against each other with little cooperation.

Then there are speedballers. There's nothing wrong with speedball, but I'm more interested in MilSim. The bright jerseys and colourful markers just don't do it for me. They're a cooperative, tactical group, but as noted above, the game just looks silly to me.

I guess there's a third group, the group I'm looking for, in scenario and milsim players. I just haven't had the pleasure to meet any. That brings me to my question...

I've met airsoft players, and there seem to be a few clubs around. That said, I could also get some friends into the game, since airsoft seems to be "really cool" so long as there's a place to play. I just want a tactical game, with people who will think as a squad and act as a squad.

Am I more likely to find a good milsim game in paintball or airsoft?
Old 13 May 2007, 07:31   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Airsoft or Paintball?

I've always found I've had more fun out in the jungle paintballing with everyone....really fun when you get 16 people together for a free for all...^_^

Anyways, I think that any way you put it, you're still going to have both camps (maybe a different version in airsoft). So for the most part just persuading friends to do this would be the way to go (in my opinion) with whichever game you choose.
Old 13 May 2007, 13:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the idea of both, but I've only played Airsoft before, so I'd have to say Airsoft.

I'm getting pretty serious with it now, and my friends and I are currently starting an official team. ^_^
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 13:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

Around here there was an organized paint ball event called " the battle of bastogne" ( for those of you who dont know, thats the battle of the bulge, if you dot know what that is, watch the history channel) and it was nazi's VS the americans. You had classes to pick, squads to be in, objectives to take and hold, or destory. like " destroy that cannon! Or hold that bridge! and it would of been awsome, if it didnt cost like 300 dollars. i'd say if you like tactics,go with airsosft ( but imo PB is cooler!)

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 04:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Airsoft hands down, most people who look for milsim go there and that tends to be where all of the milsim people gather as opposed to paintball. Just make sure you wear some good clothing, cause that stuff hurts.
Old 14 May 2007, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais
I need it! I need it! I need it! anton's vagina that is...
Quote:
"We're not just gonna shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the threads of our tanks, we're going to murder those bastards by the bushes!!"
Savon Saal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 02:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Second question then: where could I get airsoft in Canada? I know I can get the Tippmann stuff fine, as it ships with the paintball product, but if I wanted TM or KSC, I'd have border troubles.

Lastly, what should I get? I've heard that the KSC Glock 17 is a great GBB, but I've heard that an AEG is more or less mandatory for effective play. I could get the value-priced Tippmann AEGs, or I could try to go for something better known.
Old 15 May 2007, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I would have to say Paintball. All I have to say is Oklahoma D-Day(3000 people last year, rougly 1400 German, 1600 Allied to reflect the numbers difference at the immediat attack). And I have never heard of ANYTHING like this in airsoft. At all. That, and most parks that I know of hold at least one senario game a year.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, paintball. I don't play, but my state is home to on ebig paintball game.

Oklahoma D-day anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 03:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd go with airsoft. I've played paintball once, and it's messy, innacurate, and impossible to aim with that bloody hopper.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote