Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warmachine
Old 06 May 2007, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Anton

Default Warmachine

Heya,

After doing a bit of research on Warmachine, I can confidently say that I like it. What I want to know is which Rulebook do I need, for someone who's getting started?

Thanks.
Old 06 May 2007, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Warmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Heya,

After doing a bit of research on Warmachine, I can confidently say that I like it. What I want to know is which Rulebook do I need, for someone who's getting started?

Thanks.
Heya,

Pick up Prime Remix. You don't need any other book, period. It has all the rules for the entire game. And it has all the rules for the Prime Warcasters and Warjacks, Units and Solos. You'll have everything you need to know from the rules, to your own faction, to everyone else's faction all in one. Make sure it's Prime Remix, not just Prime. It was released and updated in many big ways. It's a huge book and full color (beautiful too I might add). It's $25 retail.

You don't have to buy the other books--things you purchase come with stat cards. They contain all the rules for the unit they come with. The only reason to get the other books is for the fluff and story line progression, or if you're one of those types that simply must have everything possible.

Anyhow, definitely explore that, and before you start buying, consider proxying and playing some test games. Also, take a look in the other books (they have a few new things added to the original Prime models, which you really only need to take a look at once to know if you want it or not, and then after you buy what you want, the stat card has all the information you need that is the exact same as the book, so you don't need the book).

-- I play Cygnar in Warmachine by the way (and Trollbloods & Circle in Hordes). Welcome to the better game. ;D

Cheers,
Old 06 May 2007, 19:39   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
It's $25 retail.
Thats about 12-15 for us.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

You mean there is actually places to get it?
I think we need more war gaming stores in the midlands...
PrinnySquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

http://www.privateerpress.com/compan...mer/find_store
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 07:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

2 in Birmingham.
Pity I don't have a clue where they are.
PrinnySquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 11:30   #7 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
-- I play Cygnar in Warmachine by the way (and Trollbloods & Circle in Hordes). Welcome to the better game. ;D
My bro' is going to play Cygnar, I'm going for Khador myself. And after reading what some people have said about Warmachine, it is the better game, and maintains the basic ground rule for wargames, fun.

Thanks.
Old 08 May 2007, 13:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

indeed it does.

it has got simple rules, and the better thing to do when you are about to lose is throw everything you've still got into the fight and enjoy a bloody defeat!!!

it's quite difficult to get smashed in a way you can't enjoy the game, and even if youy're getting smashed by round 2 you usually take your part of fun!
Old 08 May 2007, 13:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

About how much it it to start a army for warmachine?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 14:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_FireWarrior
About how much it it to start a army for warmachine?
$25 for the rulebook.
$45 for a battlebox that gives you everything to play a mangled metal game (ie, all jacks).

For $10~25 more you can easily jump to 350 points (equivalent of 1,000 points in 40k).
And for a total of $80~100 (total, not in addition to) invested into the army, you can hit 500 points (1,500 points in 40k) quite easily.

It comes down to which units/jacks you really want to use. For example, jacks cost more points and cost less money per point. So more jacks means cheaper higher point army. And it's not ineffective to do this. Though it's a good idea to research a warcaster who works well with all-jacks (an example, Darius in Cygnar, or Amon in Menoth, OldWitch or Karchev in Khador, Coven in Cryx, etc).

500 points is a standard game in general. This is where you use whatever you want in moderation basically, infantry, jacks, solos, whatever. It's like 1500 points in 40k.

-- Note that those prices are retail. You can get it cheaper from online discount stores (even the Warstore for example).

Cheers,