Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chess: Opening Moves
Old 11 Apr 2007, 06:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Chess: Opening Moves

I just got done playing 5 pubbie games on Y! Chess. All 5 times I was Black, but 3 of the 5 times, White's opening move was queen's pawn up 2 spaces (pe7-e5). To me, that move signifies that I'll have to be agressive, or atleast I've responded with pe2-e4. He moves pf7-d5.

What do you usually do for this opening? I feel that it constantly catches me off-guard, and leaves me unusually cramped on the queen-side. Should I move up a pawn to cover it, or would it be better to cut the losses after I take the pawn on the right(from the Black PoV)?

And what moves do you personally like and what do you dislike(both yours and your opponents) as well as color.

Me:
Black, and the pair of King's Pawns moved up two spaces. I feel this gives the most ability for both sides to mobilize, as well as sets me up defensively, leaving room for me to mount an offensive on my terms and I dislike this opening.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Chess: Opening Moves

Ok, I often play this opening as white (and very much like it as an opening) so I think I should be able to give you some good advice as to how to play against it.

I'll just say first that you've got the notation for the moves mixed up - but for simplicity I'll use it your way - taking the square A1 to be the bottom left of the board from black's point of view (instead of white's.)

Ok, firstly, I would never recommend taking the pawn. If you do, you end up with a pawn that is difficult to defend towards the side of the board where it is very difficult to defend. (Yes, I know I said that twice - but it is an extremely important point.) White easily controls the centre and can put pressure on you very quickly with the clumsy but effective Qh5+ or the subtle but deadly pd6 or the ambitious pd5.

Trying to hang on to the pawn in those situations will only wreck your own position further. Completely ignoring it and focusing on building your own defences is also surprisingly difficult - as white controls the centre comfortably. It can be done...but it is tricky.

Hence, I wouldn't recommend taking the pawn. So what can you do? Personally, I'd defend the pawn by moving one of the black pawns up, probably the f pawn rather than the d one. Moving the d one forward can restrict your position and make it difficult for your queenside knight and bishop to develop properly.

Anyway, assuming you move the f pawn up, what then? Well, white could try Qh5, pinning the moved pawn and threatening to take the pawn on e4. This initially looks like a pain, but it can be blocked by something such as Ne2 - unpinning the pawn. It's a fairly weak threat from white and really shouldn't be played. If black can then attack on the kingside, the white queen can often be left isolated on the queenside away from the main fight, with not much to do...

A more standard move white tends to play is f4. This has advantages and disadvantages for both players. On the plus side for white - it gains space and puts pressure on black's queenside. However, his e pawn is vulnerable. Black could try to exploit this directly with b3 - with the intention of bringing the Bishop to b2 - or indirectly with Nc3. White might then play d6, creating a large pawn chain - but one which is weak at the base. Black's aim should then be to go for an all out attack on the kingside. Getting a knight on to d5 is also a must.

There are far too many possibilities and variables to look at in a single post, but as a piece of general advice - don't take the pawn - and then aim to counterattack on the kingside. I've had many exciting games using this opening where the game has literally degenerated into a race as to who will break first - black's queenside or white's kingside. I've won some...and lost some very exciting games on this!

Anyway, hope that helps. Be sure to come back and say how you do in future games...
Old 12 Apr 2007, 07:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

How does his f-pawn move to d5?

I'm going to assume you are talking about...

1. e4 e5
2. d4

In this situation, he is trying to use the Danish gambit on you. Instead of taking the bait, develop your Knight with Nc3.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 05:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Yeah, my bad. When I was writing the post, I had the board coordinates backwards.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote