Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Balancing Necrons in DoW?
Old 28 Jan 2007, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor
Default Balancing Necrons in DoW?

Right, it's not to say that Necrons are horribly unbalanced, but there is something not quite right with them. Certainly, every time I play a many-AI skirmish, it always boils down to whatever I have vs Necrons. Which I would assume is indicative of their unbalanced nature.

So, my proposed suggestions:

Excavation

Builder (or appropriate) units should be capable of "Excavating" Necron Remains. Perhaps an 'automatic' roving function (like harvest bodies for the Tomb Spyders or eating the dead for Kroot Carnivores), which 'removes' the ressurectable/reanimatable Necrons from the location that they 'fell'.

Thus in a protracted game, when the Necrons begin a prolongued assault, I don't need to be bogged down by their ressurectable Tomb Spyders and Lord if I have a builder or two ready to 'excavate' them.

Proper to the fluff...it's exceedingly difficult to capture Necrons, so we shall simply have excavated infantry 'dissapear'(Phase out completely, need to be built again), whilst Tomb Spyders simply 'teleport' their 'remains' back to somewhere near a randomly assigned (friendly) Necron Monolith.

Why would this balance them?

It gives you an opportunity to start countering their relentless assault.

Other problems to be solved

Combo with Ressurection Orb and big fights that allows the Necron player to 'conjur' Units above their unit cap. This is probably fixable in the actual code of the game that determines how the Orb works, but still.

What do you guys think?
Old 28 Jan 2007, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Re: Balancing Necrons in DoW?

meh, I think that the Tau are the most unbalanced (infiltrating broardsides is just not right!!!)
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2007, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Here's what usually happens to me when I play Necrons vs Guard (as the Guard).

I build units.
I capture Strategic Points.
I build Turrets, and upgrade my Listening Posts to pack guns.

Then, two squads of Necrons and the Lord walk in, blow up all my defences, kill all my men, and I've lost the game.

Thus, what I would do is this...

#1: Put a cost on Necron units; being able to make them for free is not balanced!
#2: Make the Lord a second-tier unit, so you have to upgrade the Monolith first.
#3: When Lords / Tomb Spyders are destroyed, make their bodies return to their initial "burial" points, not just lie in the middle of your base to get up and cause carnage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2007, 22:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Perhaps you should play a few games as Necrons first... the AI only does well with the Necrons because it is programmed to do so... I played a game with my mate just last night (or this moring, I don't know what time it was), we were both Necrons against Marines and Chaos... well, about 5 minutes into said game, I had a 6-man unit of warriors, a 3-man unit of warriors and a lord with 2 turrets... Chaos and Marines rolled up with 4 scout/cultist squads, and then 6+ squads of marines... just when I thought I was winning, in waltzes a Defiler... and there goes the game...

See, in multiplayer against people, Necrons are balanced because they absolutely SUCK early game and you can just spam squads to kill them... However, the computer hax, so they'r eunfair any race you play them if they only have one target...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2007, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang, High priest of Tepok
meh, I think that the Tau are the most unbalanced (infiltrating broardsides is just not right!!!)
How the hell do you get infiltrating broadsides?!?!
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:03   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminatus
Perhaps you should play a few games as Necrons first... the AI only does well with the Necrons because it is programmed to do so... I played a game with my mate just last night (or this moring, I don't know what time it was), we were both Necrons against Marines and Chaos... well, about 5 minutes into said game, I had a 6-man unit of warriors, a 3-man unit of warriors and a lord with 2 turrets... Chaos and Marines rolled up with 4 scout/cultist squads, and then 6+ squads of marines... just when I thought I was winning, in waltzes a Defiler... and there goes the game...

See, in multiplayer against people, Necrons are balanced because they absolutely SUCK early game and you can just spam squads to kill them... However, the computer hax, so they'r eunfair any race you play them if they only have one target...
Ah, now, here we hit a problem...

"spamming" units is not how I play the game, nor should it be how anyone plays the game... there is no skill involved in sending units charging blindly at your enemy from the offset. For players who actually want to build something more advanced than their basic infantry unit, Necrons aren't balanced. It is, admittedly, harder for me to play with Necrons than against them, but only because I don't use spamming-tactics, and actually try to build up a base and army, not just march three units in and win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Believe me, Wargamer, I do the same thing and it infurriates me when the only buildings the Marines have at their base in the end is their stronghold, an armory and the barracks... That is how the computer plays, I'm pretty sure the AI says 'hey, I'm gonna take the best unit I can and make as many as possible without regards towards squad/vehicle cap and resources, then not upgrade them...'

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 19:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

The one that annoys me is when the computer spams Dreadnoughts... If they wanted to put a 0-1 restriction on things, they should have put it on Dreadnoughts, not Predators or Whirlwinds! :

The computer does frequently spam me, but I find I don't have quite the same problem as you lot...

My troops generally encounter the Imperial Guard in this order: a few Guardsmen ;D >> fewer Sentinels ;D >> a horde of empty Chimaeras backed up by a Vindicare and Leman Russes > >> a literal double wall of missile defense turrets surrounding any strategic point near their base :sadnshocked: >> a continuous line of Sanctioned Psykers that ends only when I destroy the command centre producing them ??? >> Ogryn squad with a Priest

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2007, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang, High priest of Tepok
How the hell do you get infiltrating broadsides?!?!
put them in a devilfish
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2007, 00:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That really raises questions, what if we could do that in the tabletop game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote