Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Halo / half life 2 comparison...
Closed Thread
Old 29 Dec 2006, 09:35   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Halo / half life 2 comparison...

Now. Im wanting to do a comparison for MYSELF.

Post the results, with possible screens, on here. A foot by foot analysis of the game(s).

I'm just wondering about the scale of it:

Is it remotely possible?

Does it matter that i have HL2 for the xbox?

Would anyone care?

And should gears of war be involved (the only next-gen shooter that actually feels like a shooter)

thanks in advance... im loading halo as we speak.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer
Default Re: Halo / half life 2 comparison...

Ok, this will be a fun one as Ive often enjoyed this convo with my friends...

First off,
Storyline -
Halo - Halo has a generic storyline with little evolution, apart from the whole flood thing but in the end its juts a war between a race that by all means should have wiped the humans out of the galaxy by now.
HL2 - HL2 has many twists and things going on that havnt been explained, unlike halo, you hvae NO idea of what is going on.

Halo = 0pts
HL2 = 1pts

Weapons -
Halo - Halo tends to just have weapons for the sake of having things to fight with, the only 2 items that are realy out their is the Fuel Rod gun and the Sword, not giving much of a change for gamers.
HL2 - HL2 has many weapons with abilities NEVER seen before such as the crossbow pinning enemies to walls, the pulse ball 'deleting' everythign in its path and the laser guided rockets... This gives gamers a chance to go outside the box alittle.

Halo = 0pts
HL2 = 2pts

Enemies -
Halo - Halo has ALOT more enemies, but they are all the same real format, good CC, good range big beasties that hurt alot.
HL2 - HL2 has ALOT more enemies, ranging from demented geno soliders (combine), zombies, head crabs, barnicles, an array of gunships and stalkers, each with their own way of dieing and their is alot more 'hiding' and tactics involved to beat them.

Halo = 0pts
HL2 = 3pts

Viechles -
Halo - Halo has alot more RIDABLE viechles then HL2, and mroe variety in them giving the chance to ride in a tank, A TANK!.
HL2 - HL2 has 2 ridable viechles... 2.

Halo = 1pts
HL2 = 3pts

Main Char -
Halo - Master chief whilst being good, isnt good enough, and yet can flip a tank with his bare hands...
HL2 - Gordon, whilst never EVER talking is just a scientist, who has bearly made his PhD in physics, who is able to beat the crap out of a race of super humans. Need I say more...

Halo = 1pts
HL2 = 4pts

FINAL SCORE!

Halo = 1
HL2 = 4

CONCLUSION!

HL2 is mroe diverse and puzzle solving. Great for people who are looking for a game they can sit down to and play for a week or so, adding each time to their fun.
Halo is for peopel who want to kill things. While this isnt bad, it doesnt leave much to the imagination.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:52   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

thats it?

thats all?

Fairly limited in my opinion.

Quote:
Weapons -
Halo - Halo tends to just have weapons for the sake of having things to fight with, the only 2 items that are realy out their is the Fuel Rod gun and the Sword, not giving much of a change for gamers.
HL2 - HL2 has many weapons with abilities NEVER seen before such as the crossbow pinning enemies to walls, the pulse ball 'deleting' everythign in its path and the laser guided rockets... This gives gamers a chance to go outside the box alittle.
Halo: sentinel beam, needlers and brute shot are failry cool weapons, plus the usefulness of two grenades melee attacks (okay a few may have been done before) all of them flowing together. Plus you have the tactical fact of what weapons to take for the upcoming situations - do you take the rocket launcher and muscle your way through? do you play conservatively with battle rifl;e and plasma pistol? or do you play stealthly with snipers and active camoflage? You are limited to just two weapons (when compared to having the entire arsenal in your back pocket) making you think.

Quote:
Yes yes yes... you can think outside the box. If you want. But when you get right doen to it you still seem the same old formula: shotgun, pistol, biggger machine gun, smaller machine gun. And these weapons are still what i Use for teh majority of the game. Now, im not saying that halo has better style to its shooting, its just that HL2 innovative weaponry just comes down to designers figuring out new toys for a game, and tinkering with the new physics that they have been given.

ENEMIES -

Quote:
Halo - Halo has ALOT more enemies, but they are all the same real format, good CC, good range big beasties that hurt alot.
yes. they are a lot of enemies. But they all have varying degrees of abilities and weapons. The brutes are tought to kill - hard to get head shots and are usually sniping with 'nades. Elites are jack of all trades - good at shooting, can pummel you in close combat. Grunts are not really worth mentioning in the lower difficulties, but tehy can cause serious harm in legendary by sheer weight of numbers. The flood - now where talking, going back to the days of doom, running for your life and using desperate measures and speed to see yourself through (oh and a cloaking device). Drones offer another playing field: massesd numbers of hard to hit beasts. not good. And the jacks spice things up with difficult shields and snipers.

Quote:
HL2 - HL2 has ALOT more enemies, ranging from demented geno soliders (combine), zombies, head crabs, barnicles, an array of gunships and stalkers, each with their own way of dieing and their is alot more 'hiding' and tactics involved to beat them.
The enemies in HL2 are decent. ill give them that. But why have you given the point to "hiding"? if you play halo, especially in harder modes, then you will know that if you don't then your dead. Very dead. something usually tags you if you show your face for too long. Also the weapon system kinda dilutes the variation challenge in HL2: you nearly alwyas have a weapon to deal with these new enemies. Plus, with the exception of barnicles, they all do pretty much the same thing: shoot you with a machine gun or run at you.

Main Char -
Quote:
Halo - Master chief whilst being good, isnt good enough, and yet can flip a tank with his bare hands...
HL2 - Gordon, whilst never EVER talking is just a scientist, who has bearly made his PhD in physics, who is able to beat the Klkn out of a race of super humans. Need I say more...
well ill group these too together. MC has been engineered for combat, destroyed a weapon of galactic destruction, killed a memeber of the covenant hierachy, blew up a covenant capital ship, brought chaos and destruction to a covenant big round thingy (i think its the covenant main world or something) survived a covenant armarda, survived the flood. And he can flip a tank with his bared hnds cause the game would end pretty quick otherwise - its just comman snese. (i think...)

so in short MC can do far more than you said. And with a cool helmet.

also, don't forget that you also play a second charahcter that alters the direction of play with stealth abilities.

CONCLUSION!

Quote:
HL2 is mroe diverse and puzzle solving. Great for people who are looking for a game they can sit down to and play for a week or so, adding each time to their fun.
Halo is for peopel who want to kill things. While this isnt bad, it doesnt leave much to the imagination
Remember that HL2 isn't a puzzle gme. it's still a shooter at heart. And no matter what takes place, you can still fall back on the old favourites. For me, the new gear is nothing more than toys to play with, like the freezethrower was in Duke Nukem 3D - really cool thing but highly impractical in the middle of a fight. And the shrinker, laser trip bombs. Let me give you an example: fast zombie charging towards you do you grap a crate with the gravity gun? or do you just head shot it with a single shot gun blast? I'd chose the latter. Just because its much, much simpler and practical.

Okay ill admit it: halo isn't as new as HL2 is. I don't have a weapon for every situation. I don't just have to fight 3 enemies at a time. I have to make sure i know where that sniper is. I grab a battle rifle and a trusty plasma pistol and get on with hte show. Now really fancy stuff, now gimmicks. Just good clean fun that taxes your mind.

Okay heres MY conclusion:

Shooters haven't changed since the days of doom and 'nukem. Like i said before: all decent shooters that i can think of have the same generic stock of weaponry: a powerful machine gun, a shotgun, a pistol, a weak machine gun that fires an awful lot. And occasionaly a sniper. The other stuff is either a varient of the above (cov. carbine?) or something new to give an argument between challenging games (plasma sword Vs. Grav gun). Thats it. The halo Vs. HL war is just the same as the DOOM Vs Duke nukem was back in the pixelated days. Doom had the minigun, nukem had the chaingun, doom had the BFG, nukem had the devastator, Doom had the brass knuckle fists, nukem had the mighty boot.

Also, like freeman said (the guy on TO) it could jsut be sen as an extension of teh PC/console fight. But im not going to stray into that mess. If you want to fight it out, play unreal tournament, and then play unreal championship.

I love both games a lot. HL2 offers the feeling of realism. But halo makes me think more and more. and puts me on my feet at every posible moment. And we haven't even touched multiplayer!!!

Also, lets throw a new contender into the mix: gears of war. This in my opinion is just simply awesome!! running from cover to cover, no super weight limit, cool charachters, don't really get the impression of me Vs. Them all, and you do generally get your arse kicked unless you play to the games major gimmik: wall/ sceneray hugging. I know its not new (PDZ was my first encounter) but its the only shooter that i know of where you have to take cover. Its heavily tactical (especially in co-op, something that timeless forgot to mention about halo). And although it isn't all that diverse and original in its weapons (the torque bow is a joke IMHO) its just too fluid to be called "re-packaged" - an offensive menouver can quickly turn into a defensive one as you under estimate your opponents strength, you can find yourself pinned down by enemy fire but remember that frag grenade youve been holding on to can give you enoguh time to dash away.

Anyways, sorry for the extremely long post. And thanks for reading.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 15:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
Anyways, sorry for the extremely long post. And thanks for reading.
never say sorry after you make a long post when you make one that big it means you put a lot of thought into it. take mal. for instance

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 16:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

IMO, HL2 is WAY better.

Overall
Halo- Kinda dull, graphics arn't AS good as HL2 but.. yeah... The interaction is limited, and the character DOES speak. It has cutscenes.
HL2- The main character never speaks, but the game has tons of interactiveness (at the beganning of HL2e1, Alyx hugs Gordon, I was surprised, because that was the first time I had ever witnessed that in a fps) The game has absalutly has no cutscenes, sept the intro and end with the creepy G-man. (WTF does the G in G-man stand for??)
GoW- WOW. WOW. WOW. Ok, the blood looks kinda fake, but the game is just... Hm.. is a third-person mash-up of Halo and HL :P

Vehicles
Halo- So many vehicles. Each one with it's purpose.
HL2- The swampboat/gunboat, dune buggy.
GoW- APC

Weapons
Halo- OOoooOOO! A shiny energy sword! Plasma weapons! Needler!
HL2- Crobar, Grav-gun, mostly un-alien weapons. I dunno but I prefer bullet weapons over laser...
GoW- Every weapon in this game is used by both sides.

Enviorment
Halo- Nothing can be interacted with exept the weapons and buttons.
HL2- Everything, from weapons, to buttons and switches, to allies, to paintcans. This is the best game with the most realistic gravity. The list goes on and on with it's beautiful enviorments... Save Ravenholm...
GoW- Everything can be used as cover, enemy corpses can be moved, buttons can be switched.

Chicks (XD)
Halo- Cortona, a odd lil hologram woman thing, that goes from being asian to american which never explains itself. She helps out alot with hacking into stuff and getting information.
HL2- Alyx is there for ya entirely through HL2e1 with her horrid, evil humor (She scared me to death when she did the zombie impersonation...) I wanted to slam her one good after the zombine joke, lol, but she is the one girl in any game that actually follows you around and is actually there PHYSICLY, no hologram.
GoW- Anya, barley talks, not a hologram, but you only see her at the beganning.

My stuff all goes to HL2. Will be gettin HL2e2 for the 360 once it's out. Hoorah. *Takes out crobar* bam.
Only then your life I will save
Old 30 Dec 2006, 10:19   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

If you don't mind im going to counter that:

Overall
Quote:
Halo- Kinda dull, graphics arn't AS good as HL2 but.. yeah... The interaction is limited, and the character DOES speak. It has cutscenes
Can i ask what difficulty your playing / played the game in?? if you have it in legendary then the game NEVER gets dull. You keep trying, figuring out new and more imaginative ways to get to the next area. The areas themselves differ wildley - closed confined corridors to wide open landscapes. I have to admit that there is a repition of the corridors, but when you consider the fact that each corridor offers a new challenge and goal then you barely even notice. Every new portion of the game can quickly spin around into something that you didn't expect it to be - forcing you to change, reasses your plans and make a critical decision on the fly.

Quote:
HL2- The main character never speaks, but the game has tons of interactiveness (at the beganning of HL2e1, Alyx hugs Gordon, I was surprised, because that was the first time I had ever witnessed that in a fps) The game has absalutly has no cutscenes, sept the intro and end with the creepy G-man. (WTF does the G in G-man stand for??)
yes HL2 does have plenty of interaction. But ive already experienced that before - oblivion / morrowind had bags of interaction. i have to admit that i haven't played episode one yet. So i don't know the full extent of the interactiveness. It does have a bonus with the grav gun and the grab ability. But as i said before, these are no more than a bonus to the game.

Vehicles
Quote:
Halo- So many vehicles. Each one with it's purpose.
HL2- The swampboat/gunboat, dune buggy.
GoW- APC
Okay quick comparison hear. HL2 forces you to take the vehicles. GoW you can't even use them for longer than ten minutes on a hellish level. Halo offers bags of opportunities at every moment you see a vehicle, you know you can grab it and start blasting (not teh best idea, but you can if you want!). I know that halo gives you a vehicle at times, but you feel free to just grab another tank/buggy/ghost whenever you want. oh, one thought that pooped into my head on the subject of interactivity: halo has mass interactivity spread over the terrain, HL2 has the smaller stuff - interacting with the items and such. Anyways that was just a brief thought to throw into the mix - the scale of the interactivity in the games.

(that part was longer than i thought : )

Weapons
Quote:
Halo- OOoooOOO! A shiny energy sword! Plasma weapons! Needler!
HL2- Crobar, Grav-gun, mostly un-alien weapons. I dunno but I prefer bullet weapons over laser...
GoW- Every weapon in this game is used by both sides.
But the thing is that the vast majority of bullet weaponry is the same as the next.

Quote:
same old formula: shotgun, pistol, biggger machine gun, smaller machine gun
and are you being sarcastic about the halo weaponry?
And it is good that on GoW the enemy uses your weapons as well as their own - i can remember the shock of being chainsword in half by a grenadier on the later levels. Good fun ^-^

Enviorment
Quote:
Halo- Nothing can be interacted with exept the weapons and buttons.
HL2- Everything, from weapons, to buttons and switches, to allies, to paintcans. This is the best game with the most realistic gravity. The list goes on and on with it's beautiful enviorments... Save Ravenholm...
GoW- Everything can be used as cover, enemy corpses can be moved, buttons can be switched.
Remeber hat i said above about the scale of the games - halo has interaction with the tanks etc. And HL2 has interaction with paintcans. On halo you CAN give your allies weaponry, tooling them for the job (give them rocket launchers, even more fun!) and on HL2 you can give them orders.

Quote:
This is the best game with the most realistic gravity.
If i wanted to hav something with realistic gravity id play oblivion. Yes HL2 may have it better. But if i remember on HL your in combat fighting for you life... not much time to admire the prettyness of the gravity. Yes it adds realism. But people play games to shoot / beat / stealth / steal / score on. If you want realism play a game called life. I don't notice how much better those crates fall when im blasting a zombie with a shotgun, or how wood splinters when the sniper misses my head. Im playing them game.

Quote:
Chicks (XD)
Halo- Cortona, a odd lil hologram woman thing, that goes from being asian to american which never explains itself. She helps out alot with hacking into stuff and getting information.
HL2- Alyx is there for ya entirely through HL2e1 with her horrid, evil humor (She scared me to death when she did the zombie impersonation...) I wanted to slam her one good after the zombine joke, lol, but she is the one girl in any game that actually follows you around and is actually there PHYSICLY, no hologram.
GoW- Anya, barley talks, not a hologram, but you only see her at the beganning
Okay. If you want lasses in a video game, wait till DOA extreme 2 is released. you shouldn't be basing an argument of a genre of the female content. It's like comparing the 2 (even 3) games by the coolness of the main charachters helmet. Or who has the cooler crowbar. It's just not a solid argument.

Slightly shorter than before...
Old 30 Dec 2006, 14:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I played DoA Xtreme 2. It's dull to me, I like games with story and shooty shooty.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 21:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The locust only use the hammer of dawn in multiplayer(so not every weapon), if they used it in campaign insane may as well be called "You can't win"mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 01:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Here's my ranking, out of 5...

Storyline:
Halo: 2.5/5 - Decent but not superb in the first game, and awefully convoluted in the second.

Half-Life: 4/5 - Mysteries, questions, flowing plot...

Weapons:
Halo: 2/5 - While the Flamethrower/Sentinel Beam and Needler are fun, the stupidly inaccurate AR/SMG combined with the acid-trip Plasma guns brings it down.

Half-Life: 4.5/5 - Although short on ammo and lacking a long range automatic weapon, the Fusion Core, RPG, and Crossbow are awesome fun... plus, Bugbait and the Gravity Gun are different from anything we've seen before (the crossbow-pin appeared in Painkiller).

AI:
Halo: 3/5 - While the Covenant responds well to situations (except when crashing Banshees into cliffs), the humans are a bit problematic, shooting eachother and breaking the few vehicles you let them drive.

Half-Life: 3/5 - Great in the first game, but a bit lacking in the second... Combine soldiers don't take cover much and arn't that bright alot of the time. Roof-rappelling attacks, persistant Manhacks, and the war-machines are superb though... unfortunatly the Resistance allies by your side are normally retarded (if very polite).

Enemies:
Halo: 2.5/5 - Varied, and using vehicles to combat you, they do have some flaws. Very slow to spot you in the first game, sometimes slow to react after. And the whole colour-coding thing got boring. And purple vehicles. And wortspeech.

Half-Life: 4.5/5 - Barnacle?! Where the feck did that come from!? I've lost track of how many times I've said that when I'm being hoisted to the ceiling by an alien brainsucking freak. The variance is superb - Zombies, Headcrabs, Barnacles, Mines, Soldiers, Gunships, Striders... the only times it dragged were clearing minefields and zombie mobs that pose almost 0 threat to the player.

Hero:
Halo: 1.5/5 - Boring, faceless machine with nothing but one-liners going for him. As I've said before, even his rank is wrong - he's clearly meant for land warfare and yet his title is Naval!

Half-Life: 5/5 - A theoretical physicist turned reluctant interdimensional commando. He never speaks, and he has a crowbar.

Final Score:
Halo: 11.5/25
Half-Life: 21/25
Old 31 Dec 2006, 02:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hail to the crowbar!! WHOOOO!
Closed Thread