Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mark of Chaos: Preliminary review.
Closed Thread
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Mark of Chaos: Preliminary review.

With perhaps the quietest release of any game I've ever seen, (I only found out it was in stores last night!) Mark of Chaos was released to stores in the U.S. on November 14th. Yup, its been in stores for almost a week!

Well, I went out and picked it up today, its got six– count 'em– SIX CDs.

At first I was concerned that my computer wasn't even going to be able to handle the game from the get-go, but everything ran smoothly, except for one problem: No sound! My sound card isn't up to snuff, apparently. But I can get past that. Graphics are unbelievably awesome. I didn't play anything other than the tutorial, though, so I can't really give a full review at this time.

A few notes: If you are planning on getting this game you will probably need to upgrade your computer, unless you already have a decent rig. Optimum requirements are 1GB RAM, 256 MB graphics card, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor or AMD Athlon equivalent. So if you've got an off-the-shelf computer, you might want to consider upgrading.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Mark of Chaos: Preliminary review.

I only got one DVD disc, and a requirement to upgrade my CPU of death.....And the intro movie is AMAZING. FOR THE EMPIRE!!!!

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Trying to find a copy, so far no luck. I'll be x-mas shopping this weeekend at the world's biggest amll so i should find it there.

Still, from what i read this sounds very much like an attempt to make a computer version of the tabletop game. You build your army from units you have already and when you fill all the slots you can, send them into battle. There are things to customize your units looks more so than even in Dawn of War.

The one thing I had to laugh at though was some player reviews. Apparently the biggest falw most of them see in this game is there is no resource managment. You don't build buildings and bases and this apparently is a big flaw. Personally I'd say it just would make for a diffrent game. Rather than throwing troops at the toehr guy you have to make an army that actually works together and (heaven forbid!) preserve your troops.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

So, I'm a lil confused. Is this thing supposed to be more like Chaos Gate or Rites of War, or is it still in the RTS department, just with the inability to actually build more troops in a game (I remember seeing a game called Ground Control that was similar in that regard)
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:23   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Nope, its an RTS, you just don't have any resources.

Pretty much what happens is that for each battle you win, you get what amount to Victory Points. You can use these points to upgrade your army, buy more units, better weapons, etc.

It is, as Spirit said, pretty much a computer version of the tabletop game.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, I should have mentioned it is a RTS, it's just he way you manage your army is a bit more in keeping with how you would do it if you were to play a campaign on the tabletop.
Old 03 Dec 2006, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry for the double post but it has been a while. Just got my copy of moC, I open the case and....six CDs?!? What the heck? I haven't seen this since the days of 3.5" floppies.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 21:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

I just had one DVD......finally got the game to work. The Empire Campaign mode is a bit short, and I found the elves rather hard to play although obviously their magic and shooting was AMAZING. Cavalry I found a bit weak, partially because the regiments start off so small. Heroes are NICE. Very nice. Even mage class characters kick arse in close combat. You can fire into combat and as far as I can see it doesn't hurt your own regiment unless you are using a siege weapon. Oh, always remember to set siege weapons to fire at will: off and tell them to stop if the enemy gets too near to your lines.

Oh yes....sieges are bloody and brutal. And hurt.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 09 Dec 2006, 01:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guv
Oh yes....sieges are bloody and brutal. And hurt.
Which to be honest, is how they should be. I lost a large unit of Halbadiers to Chaos fire during the first seige.

Calvary I didn't find that bad, mainly because I tried to use them the way you probably should use scirmishers. To run down those units that are way out alone or moving where the rest of the army might not reach in time i also tend to set them up so that they will be good to charge from the sides or rear after the enemy charged towards some of my core units.

I find it's much more a case of finding out where and when to use what units and make the most of a map, rather than trying to get the strongest units stuck in. A bit of a change from your typical RTS.

my only complaint was that Orcs and Dwarves are only available as mercinaries in the multiplayer and they don't have that many of some of the odder units.
Old 09 Dec 2006, 01:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

I would get it, but I'm not sure if my comp could handle it(It's a dell).
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
Closed Thread