Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle overview
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Battle overview

1000 posts! I thought I would do something semi-useful.

I guess this goes here. It is not a battle report. It is a review of the units I used, and a bit of information on some Eldar stuff.

So I played this list against Eldar. It was an Eldar all comers list, and was a great game. I used this list.

We got capture and control and a pitched battle set up.

Well, the KFF is great, when you roll the dice well. I managed to save 1 out of 6, 4+'s and 1 out of 5, 5+'s. A great unit to put in an army. Isn't always effective though.

The warboss, well, he got into combat with a falcon, fluffed all his attacks (he did have to hit on 6's) Then was mind warred, and lost 2 wounds, and then, to add insult to injury, he and 11 boys were shot at be 10 Dire avengers. It was a mess, and I was left with a nob with 1 wound. Who ran away.

Tankbustas: they performed okay, shot down a vyper, and took anothe rout in close combat with the tankhammer. Nob missed.

Lootas: Got one round of shooting. 1 shot each, all missed, but the mek managed to shaken a Vyper.

18 Boyz: These are shoota boyz, they charged a wave serpeant stopped it from shooting next turn. Then the banshees got out and charged them, they survived two rounds, keeping the banshees off the objective. They also killed 5.

Trukker boyz: Both squads did okay. One squad killed his Autarch who lone charged them, then charged the Farseer, and killed him, they also killed the last Dire avenger. The other squad died to Dire avengers.

10 Warbikers: These were great, they killed 6 Jetbikes, but then got pinned by ranger/pathfinders.

5 Deffkoptas, took fire from three Vypers, who were guided, and got owned. Ran off the board. Dissapointed, however they did take the fire that could have been used on other stuff.

Deffkopta, this one saved the game for me. He contested the Eldar home objective, by outflanking on turn three, which was when we had to end, as the time ran out. It was great.

Looted wagons: brilliant. First turn, awful. Second turn, one 'pressed dat' the other however, killed the dire avengers to a man. Then, next turn, shook a Wave serpeant, and also 'accidentaly' got the edge of the template onto the in combat howling banshees, who lost 3 women to it.

3 killa kans: Good unit, better than a single dread. They took the fire dragons shooting, and dodged it. All the fire dragons hit with one shot! Then the fire dragon charged and tried grenading them. One blew up, the other was immobilised, so unfortunately killed.However they got revenge by killing two Dragons, and forcing them to flee. The last Kan then went on the kill another two dragons!

Awesome game in which we drew.

[hr]

The things that surprised me was, the speed of his Autarch, with the warp spider Jet pack. Deadly, especially when it jumps forward, meltas something then jumps back.
Vypers, these can pack a punch! Starcannons, and Shruiken Cats, high quantity of shots. Dangerous!
Dire Avengers, these guys can bladestorm, 34 shots would have been fired by a 10 man squad!
And Fire Dragons, so many melta weapons!

[hr]

Next it is Tau, so anyone got any ideas for what kind of tactics I can use with my list, against, a Tau list that will include, a Hammerhead, a Sky Ray, a Broadside, several XV-8's, two squads of fire warriors, a squad of Kroot and some pathfinders. Maybe a piranha.

- Will
Old 29 Jun 2010, 14:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battle overview

Now against Tau!

Same list, as this is a tournie.

We got pitched battle and annihilation. This worried me a little, as he then got the first turn. He had two hammerheads, a sky ray, a piranha, 20kroot, shaper and a Kroot ox, 3 squads of 10 fire warriors each with 2 drones, a commander, with 3 bodyguards, 3 stealth suits and 6 pathfinders.

I didn't like the look of my odds of surviving. :P Even with the Pathfinders in reserve although their devilfish began on the board.

Then his bad luck began, and after the first turns dust cleared, he had done nothing. He fluffed all hammerhead shots, and all but one markerlight, which the seeker had then missed. His piranha moved 24" towards me

I moved up, and managed to make the stealth suits run off the board along with the squad of Kroot, the devilfish was also destroyed. The ork boys also got to charge the Piranha, in which a few died, but they immobilised it, and took off the fusion blaster, and a seeker.

His second turn, was like his first, except he immobilised and took the main gun, off my looted wagon. His pathfinders came in, and I lost some more boys. He also killed 2 Deffkoptas.

I then got to charge. And wiped out most of his army. After this turn ended, he had a Hammerhead with out its main gun or side guns, his commander, in combat with my bikes and some fire warriors in combat with 3 Deffkoptas.

The next two turns were mopping up.

15 KP - 0

[hr]

Well, the KFF is great, it did really well, this time protecting the trukks, for the few shots that came it way. Seems the Mek found the on switch.

Warboss. Awesome, killed a sky ray on his own. But that was all, there was nothing else for him to get.

Tankbustas - Disappointing when they had their chance to shoot they missed.

Lootas - Did ok, took out the piranha at long range, and stunned a hammerhead.

18 Boys - Took out the pirahna and drew the fire of the pathfinders.

Trukk boys - Each took out a squad of FW's in a single turn.

10 Warbikers - Killed the commander and his bodyguard, however also lost some men in the process. Very fast though, easy second turn charge, helpful cover.

5 Deffkoptas - Did well, took out the devilfish and charged some FW's killing them.

Deffkopta - Outflanked and killed a hammerhead. Brilliant.

Looted wagons - performed well, even dodged railgun shots! They then caused a squad of Kroot to run, and also did some damage to another FW sqaud. Who held.

Killa Kans - did ok, killed some FW's as did nearly everything. Didn't get into combat, marched forward. Weren't very effective over all. A bit too slow.

[hr]

Well I did this in the wrong order. I played Space puppies yesterday. Will write it up at some point.

- Will
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Very nice Will. Congratulations, it's a win-win situation anyways.

I look through your units and their situation which presented themselves with, and I had to say I had similar experience. It's good to know they're doing what they should be doing. Cookies for you if anyone needed some reference.

A question, is your Warboss on a bike or with the boyz? It might be helpful to post the army list too.

Looking forward to the Space Wolves.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks!

The list is linked at the beginning, although I may start linking it at the start of each section.

The warboss, and mek each join an 11 boy squad in a trukk.

- Will
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I noticed, I'm thinking something more solid like how many points you're fielding them and wargear. But I'm ok with this setup anyways.

Too bad your tankbustas didn't do all that well though, did you had bombsquigs with you?

I'm considering getting more Warbikers, they look deadkilly now and with 4+ cover saves to boot.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have 11 warbikes, and wazdakka, but we are doing a 2000pt tournie, so I needed some troops, and wazdakka was too expensive as the Mek, was needed to 'try' and keep my vehicles safe. The warboss was there to hopefully hit some AV14 vehicles and destroy them.

I also have no bombsquigs, as my tankbustas are made from left over boyz, and rokkit launchers. They would be considered if I had some.

- Will
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pssst, bombsquigs are wargear and do not need to be represented as a model.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh, damn. Now there is a good idea. Thanks Thor!

Although I will have to add them in after this tournament thing is over. But I can now use bomb squigs!

[size=6pt]Thanks for the kookie[/size]

- Will
Old 29 Jun 2010, 16:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Cheeky blighters, you lot. :P

I didn't think they needed a model though, but it's good to have one to see how many you got left.

What else you had for AV14 really? Relying on your Warboss can be abit tricky but I see you kinda good at babysitting him well enough to krump the vehicle.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
What else you had for AV14 really? Relying on your Warboss can be abit tricky but I see you kinda good at babysitting him well enough to krump the vehicle.
That's my main problem. Him and the tankbustas, are pretty much the only thing. They can only pen in combat as well.

It is a problem.

[hr]

So Space Wolves. Annoyingly good.

They can pour out large numbers of troops who are terrifying on the charge, or even when you charge. Thanks to stupid counter attack.

My opponent ran an impressive list. 40 Grey Hunters, 4 squads of 10, all with 2 plasma guns and a power weapon. A dreadnought, with TL-lascannons. Two squads of Long Fangs, one with four Plasma Cannons, the other with 4 missile launchers. They also had a dedicated transport of a Razorback w/ TL Lascannon, and one w/ Tl HB. This seems like a solid 2000pt list. But no, he also has 15 blood Claws in a Land Raider Crusader, with Ragnar.

[hr]

We got Capture and Control and Pitched Battle.

I got the first turn. Deffkoptas wrecked a razorback. Blockign LoS os the 4 ML's. Good. Then a dead shot from a Boomwagon took out all but 4 of a Grey Hunter squad. The other killed some more from another squad, one of these squads ran away. It was going well, and his dead pile was building up. My trukks had moved forwards and so had the boomwagons, staying in range of the KFF. It was looking good. The lootas also killed a few marines, although not many, the tankbustas failed at hitting the Land raider, after moving forward, as had the killa kans failed to destroy a razorback, however they did Shaken it.

First turn = Success!

Then the SW's began. Nothing had run away. Most things moved forwards, the Land Raider moved 12", getting out all the men with in. Just in front of the Tankbustas. Damn. His shooting made it get ugly. One boomwagon was taken out, the Mek again losing the 'on' switch. Then disaster struck. A hunter Killer, took out my Meks trukk, again he failed KFF save. So they are now walking, luckily not pinned. The LAnd raider misses with it's melta, on my trukk. Then he charges and the tankbustas are killed.

His First turn = Annoying

Well, now I'm going to shorten it down a bit, I don't want this being too much of a Battle report.

So in my turn, bikes charge the dread, outflanking kopta appears, blows up the razorback, which was good and bad. Mostly bad, as it gave LoS to the Plasma Cannons and the ML squads to most of the battle field. Kill one the sergeant from the Plasma cannon squad. Looted wagon kills 7 of the blood claws with Ragnar. They don't flee. The lootas do nothing this turn.
My warboss and his unit charge the Grey hunters sitting on the objective. Goes well for the boys, killing 6 of the squad. Then my Warboss misses with all 6 attacks! Hitting on threes! Not good. I lose some orks, and he holds.

In his turn, he does some stuff, Ragnar and his squad charge my looted wagon, only manage to take off the gun and immobilise it. In the combat my boys wipe out the remaining Grey hunters on his objective. His plasma gunners do not have LoS so he moves them.

Third turns (now I remember less and less):

Bikers still trying to kill Dread, take off the combat arm, but nothing else, lose a couple over the two rounds. Lone deffkopta sits still. Warboss stays on objective. Mek and squad moves into some cover and away from ragnar. Warboss' trukk blocks LoS for some of the remaining Grey hunters squads (5 men in each). Hopefully stopping them shooting my objective holders. Deffkoptas shoot the missile launcher Long fangs forcing them to flee.

His turn, ragnar gets back into the Land raider. Grey hunter squad don't move, and instead shoot at the Mek, managing to kill them all. His Plasma cannons fire kill a few deffkoptas, and they flee, a bike in combat due to scatter and then even get his own dread.

Turn four onwards:

Now it gets scrappy my turn has the deffkoptas fleeing, just staying on the board, managing to both glance the land Raider!!! But only cause it to not be able to shoot for his turn. Warboss again stays still. The kans start marching back to my home objective, however they shoot and force the ML Long Fangs to flee. The bikes manage to assault the plasma Cannon Long Fangs, killing them.

My Bikers charge the both the 5 man squads of Grey Hunters, and they hold.

Ragnar's squad charge my shoota boys, but my shoota boys hold with large casualties. In return the nob kills a couple, so they have 5 men including Ragnar left. His grey Hunters finish off my bikes... somehow.

The last few turns revolve around me trying to contest his objective, with my trukk, with a deffkopta and failing, as they get killed. But my objective stays contested as Ragnars Squad are held far enough away by my killa kans sqaud.

[hr]

So he won. It is still my only loss in 3 games, making a win a lose and a draw.

My Warboss - Was good, but some unlucky rolls messed me up a bit. Also plasma gun shots made a mess of him.

KFF Mek - Again had a poor game with rolls, and after his trukk died early on, it went badly. Another one that died to plasma gun shots.

Tankbustas - Killed early on. Never got a chance.

Lootas - Did okay, killed a few marines here and there, but overall again they mainly had blocked LoS by a well placed LR they couldn't harm.

18 Boys - Were impressive to hold against Ragnar. Also did some wounds which was a bonus, However do not have the save to last very long against power weapons.

Trukk boys - Surprised my opponent as they were quick, warboss' unit did well killing several Grey Hunters however the Meks Unit again had a poor chance at it.

10 Warbikers - Did well, although two rounds to kill a Dreadnought, and they still couldn't manage it. They did however then kill a few grey Hunters after showing their speed. However were then killed with some good rolling, and power weapons.

5 Deffkoptas, did well, wrecking a Razorback in the first turn, and then also killing enough Missile Launcher Long Fangs to force them to flee.

Lone Deffkopta - Blew up a Razorback and was then killed by the assault cannon.

3 Killa kans - Had a bad game, marched one way, then had to turn around and march back, so didn't get much in the way of shooting. They did however hold Ragnar which was impressive I thought.

Looted wagons - great early on, then were destroyed by some lucky shots, and the other managed another turn of shooting which nearly caused Ragnar to flee, however Ragnar then ripped it apart, and it was useless.

[hr]

Well SW's are a very strong army. In fact probably the strongest I've played. He went all out troops and it payed off for him, allowing him to hold his objective with a late move, even with most dying. His use of plasma was crazy, and devastating.

[hr]

Got Chaos tomorrow, and he's using Abaddon. Sounds like fun. :P
Will write it up at some point.

- Will

Wow these are turning into huge posts! I amaze myself. :P