Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Weirdboy question
Old 19 Jun 2010, 04:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Weirdboy question

I wanted to know every one's personal opinion about weirdboys in their army and if they really even have a place because of the awesome big meks with SAGs and KFFs and the Warboss with close combat what use does a Weirdboy have when having a Ld7 and getting smacked down by psychic hoods.
KO321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Weirdboy question

I have seen Weirdboys used with some success by large foot-slogging armies. The 1/3 chance of an extra Waaagh! or +1 attack helps out a great deal if you stick him in a big mob of boyz. Remember that his Leadership is altered by Mob Rule, so he is almost always going to be LD 10 against Psychic Hoods or for his own powers as long as you start him off in a full-size mob. On his own he isn't very useful, but with a large unit he acts as a powerful force multiplier.

In these types of armies a Warboss isn't as important, unless you are taking Ghazghkull. Massed armies like this rely on quantity for almost everything. A Mek with a Kustom Force Field is useful because you can screen multiple units during the approach, but the Weirdboy is there to keep the whole lot moving as fast as possible.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have done the whole Weirdboy thing serveral times, but it never seems to work out.. Dont really get it, because if you look at his profile/abilities and the mob rule he seems pretty decent.

Gotta say I prefer using Old Zogwort, even he is more or less still a chancer. But if you have a lucky dice and tatical game then he will cause a lot of deaths. >

But rearly ever use him or any weirdboyz, usually play a deathskullz and it dosen't make sense to me

But I am slowly building a snakebite army and it will include a weirdboy at least, just for fluff and fun.!
Sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I enjoy weirdboys, the randomness they have can make for some eventfull games. I use one in my 500 point list because it's a cheap HQ so I can afford more boyz. They're so random, it's fun. I wouldn't use one in a competetive list though.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

As Khanaris has said, they're best used in a large mob of Boyz. I'd love to field one but I use a Speed Freek type of list and he's just not as effective in it because of the lower model count. He'll be LD10 until I start taking wounds on the unit and he quickly becomes LD7. Stick him with a big group of Boyz and enjoy the fireworks.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Weirdboys are also decent when put in squads of tankbustas. The melta is awesome if you get it. The teleport can help, and so can the +1 at if you are about to charge a tank.

- Will
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just being silly here:

>Imagine your Weirdboy with 30 boyz.

>Imagine rolling 'ere we go and then...

> BEHIND YOU! Magically appeared greentide!

Instant Marbo-rk. :P

- Though too bad you can't assault on the turn you arrive but I find that to be really effective in closing the gap and sweeping any gunline up while you move more boyz up. Better yet, having Burna Boyz with Weirdboy to have instant flame templates around.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also don't underestimate them in meched armies. Getting a first turn possible assault range of 13"+2"+6"+6"=27" charge range. Deadly!

Managed this twice with my Nob squad. Then they either wipe out a squad or they then stay in combat and can't be shot at. Everyone knows that if you can't shoot at the orks then you are unlikely to be killing 'em

- Will
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just something trivial when I read about the Weirdboy. In my opinion, I think it's the intention of the codex writer, in keeping up with the whole "Weirdboys are Snakebites", they excluded out many wargear, heck, you might ask, "What wargear?"

Hence, you don't see them being used because you're pretty limited to greentide if you're having a Weirdboy. He's good if you can at least afford something basic that even Nobs can get: 'eavy armor or cybork body mainly.

Ah, Will, I'm not sure if I see the range right, can you break it down? It seems abit too good to be true though, but that's considering if you get a Waaagh! roll I presumed?
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Right, first the trukk with whatever inside it moves 13" with its red paint job.

Then everything gets out, wiht the part of the furthest base with in the 2" zone. This is with a small base, you can only get a small way out of the 2" zone. Maybe 0.5" extra, but I'll ignore this. With a large base it can become 3" as more of the base can be outside of the zone, maybe 1" again maybe a small bit more.

Then you get the Waaagh, and fleet the squad. Roll the dice. maybe a 6" move. Obviously this can be less. Could be 1".

Then you assault, 6" move. So you have moved between 22" and 28".

Hope that makes sense.

- Will