Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kustom Mega-Blasta
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kustom Mega-Blasta

Hello fellow gamers!

I have for a while now been wondering about the Kustom Mega-Blasta (KMB) and its uses. As some of you might remember from a previous topic, that i played against the tau in a "prefered enemy" match. In this match I had a loota squad and a burna squad. In both of these I thought: Heek I will try something new! and I put KMB's in both. Usually I never use it. But it really seemed woth the points. It really did some killing. Gotta say I had a lucky dice game. Actually it was the last surviver in the loota squad and as i was about to charge the murderer of my entire squad (a crisis suit with flamer ect.) I saw that the KMB was assualt (Played tons of games, but never, ever so the reason to use it.), I fired and i killed (INSTANT KILL! NO AMOUR SAFE! DEAD AND BURIED!).. Since it has killed termies and lots of other "hard to kill" units.

I guess what Im asking is: Is this because Im lucky or do you guys use it as well?

because I have been wondering about using them a bit more often? Because there are so many +2/+3 saves out there and so forth..

What about on big meks? Deffkoptas? Deff Dreads? Killa Kanz?
Sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kustom Mega-Blasta

I'm one of the few who likes them in Loota squads. I'd put them in Burna squads too but I need some more Burnas first. You're right, AP2 is nice and it's one of the few spots we get it and it's free on Meks, can't beat that. The other thing I like about a KMB is it also let's you wound allocate now you have a different model, or models, in the unit.

The reason some don't like it, at least with Lootas, is that it's only a 24" range gun when your Lootas are shooting 48". Most of the time you won't be shooting with it. Some prefer to give their Meks a big shoota to get better range. The other downside is it gets hot and so you can kill yourself with some bad rolls.

I only use KMBs on Meks but they'd be good on Kanz too since they're BS3. I wouldn't use them on Koptas because they aren't twin-linked, though not terrible on a Dread if you put on two of them. I always give my Big Mek a KFF so he can't get the KMB.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Thor's point on putting them in burnas. I have two meks in my burna squad with KMB as they can just add in a bit more firepower after the templaes have finished, and can hellp finish off termies and the like.

I however would not use them on Dread's or in Loota squads as, for me the lootas shouldn't be that close, if they are my orks are all dead and they have somehow charged me. If that situation arose for me big shootas would still be better. On the dread I feel they are too expensive for what they could do. A skorcha or a CCW would be better IMO.

- Will
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I tend to use one on my Looted Carnifex because I built the model that way. I have been reasonably happy with it, but it isn't ideal. The Dread should usually be running unless it was built to be a gun platform, but it doesn't really excel in that role. It is just fun to take potshots with it if the Dread is already in range of something it wants to charge.

It seems like there are usually better options on most of the platforms that can carry it. Orks almost always get through armor either with massive amounts of dice or in close combat. A pseudo-plasma gun is nice, but it wasn't the niche the Orks really needed filled. If the KMB worked like a meltagun there would be no question of its utility.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I tend to use one on my Looted Carnifex because I built the model that way. I have been reasonably happy with it, but it isn't ideal. The Dread should usually be running unless it was built to be a gun platform, but it doesn't really excel in that role. It is just fun to take potshots with it if the Dread is already in range of something it wants to charge.
However for that role a skorcha is still better for its guaranteed hits and a reasonable number of them.

- Will
Old 15 Jun 2010, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think KMB's are worth it on anything else than Kans, the reason being only Kans have a BS worth mentioning, and on everything else the overheating of the KMB is a serious issue. Especially on 5th, with all those nasty cover saves, the KMB is more likely to kill its user than an enemy - sure, the chance of a hit is double the chance of an overheat-result; nevertheless once you add in the to-wound-roll (2+ is still a roll), and the possible 4+ cover save...

So, yeah. My KMB-Kans haven't been used in a game, though, so I cannot guarantee my support for KMB-Kans will survive the first contact with da enemy... :shifty:

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 01:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

And the Gets hot! is a serious issue for me.

But where else do you get S8 AP2? That instantgib Warriors, Obliterators and Crises.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

S8 is actually quite common with Orks - Rokkits are all S8, and their AP 3 makes them good enough for Crisis, Warriors and so on. The AP 2 is the real catch here; there are only three weapons in the Ork arsenal that can handle TEQs, and that's the KMB, the SAG and the Zzzapguns; of all those the KMB is the most widely available.
In the end, it boils down to your army - if you prefer shooty armies, a Big Gun battery might be a nice idea; if you're going with a more mobile approach, the KMBs are a more fitting investment.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Polzinator Send a message via Yahoo to Polzinator

I always take at least 2 Meks with KMBs in my burna squad. They really can't be relied upon for dedicated tank killing but its good for that occasional fantastic terminator or battle suit hit. And its a free upgrade so why not?

I did run a big mek with a KMB and an ammo runt once, gimmicky but fun. Problem is i like the KFF too much to use that guy consistently.

Polzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 19:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
And the Gets hot! is a serious issue for me.

But where else do you get S8 AP2? That instantgib Warriors, Obliterators and Crises.
[IGNORE] I've been playing it at the wrong strength :P. And that is a good use however I always get unlucky. As for it on vehicles I would always prefer other options such as skorchas or rokkits, as they are cheaper. Also the things you listed, two of them have 3+ saves, so are klled by rokkits just as easily.

- Will