Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Abaddon - how to tackle him
Old 03 Jun 2010, 16:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Abaddon - how to tackle him

Hello - had a big game on Saturday and was faced with Abaddon for the 1st time, Terminator Lord + 4 other terminators with him, plus a squad of 10 Berserkers. At the time, all I saw was terminators (mistake) so attacked with 10 Nobz (Painboy, Big Choppas, 1 Powerklaw) and backed-up with 8 Burnas and Big Mek.....neadless to say, it was a bloody mess! Granted I managed to take out his Berserkers...but Abaddon..how on earth do you take this guy on?

My current army list is based on speed, so tons of Trukks, 2 Looted wagons - get in fast, and CC....but this guy, momma mia
pedromondew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Abaddon - how to tackle him

As a general rules, you either ignore him or tie him up in cc with something in large number to prevent him from doing anything.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 16:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

You seem to be playing a pretty KoS list, speed is your advantage, just avoid him, if he's right in the heart of the opponent's army, simply throw enough at him to tie him up for most of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 16:36   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

my list (at present) is based on speed, couple of Trukk of boyz for every hard CC unit, got Nobz, Meganobz, then looted wagons, packed with Burna and Tankbustas - first time faced him just the amount of attacks thrown at me was intense. He had a land-raider that I made short work off, but this team he had, with him, a lordy and 4 termies with the berserkers close by.

So in short, avoid him - pepper him with shots where possible - but just keep away - i don't have large squads of boyz with my current list...but I guess I could change depending on enemy, got around 60 boyz, so could change army list if I face him again
Old 03 Jun 2010, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you can just avoid him, seriously. I faced off against Chaos last night that included Abaddon, though poorly used, but I just avoided him like the plague. I also run a fast list so it was easy to keep him at arms length. I focused on removing the other Chaos units, namely his troops, so worst case scenario he couldn't hold an objective, just contest them. When I had nothing better to shoot at then I'd turn some guns on him and did manage to get 2 wounds on him. If it came down to it then I would have charged in there with a unit of Trukk Boyz or two and "should" have been able to finish him off, at a great cost though.

So really just dodge him as long as you can, don't let the fear factor get to you. He's slow and a fast Ork list won't be caught by him. When you can get some shots on him and try and soften him up for a later charge if required. I look at it like my Orks are a wolf pack trying to take down a large animal. Circle it, nip at it to weaken it, force the direction it's going and when it's weak you strike. Fight him on your terms.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think I've ever seen him used without an LR to ferry him about. Just be sure to focus down that LR as fast as you can and then you really don't have to worry about him that much. I haven't fought him with my Orks yet, but with IG I haven't had that much trouble the few times I played him back in 4e.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

abaddon scares me to no end, simply because I enjoy running mek lists, but not necessarily fast lists. he always seems to show up exactly where I dont need him to be :P
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I know I'll be facing him again in a couple of weeks due to how the games are rotated - so taking onboard all the advice...I will avoid - keep the main bulk of my army away - killing and mopping up everything else, but will let the tankbusters take on the land raider he pimps around in, if they take out or slow down the LR but then die, then at least he's then left to foot slog around the table.

the other option I've been told is change one of my HQ choices for Zogwort, and tweek the list around points wise to handle him - as he then has a 50/50 chance of turning him into a Squig...plus I've been told that the model I buy must have a large grin on it's face too....not sure why
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Zogwort is cool but I personally wouldn't alter my HQ to deal with an enemy HQ. Again, play on your terms, not his.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 23:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i dont actually think zogwort is all that good :huh:. I mean, he's nice if you can afford him, but I wouldnt use him.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote