Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help making a anti Tau list!
Old 02 Jun 2010, 18:56   #21 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Help making a anti Tau list!

I don't know if this has been said, but being a tau player (that mainly plays orks), the chances are he will try and use some Hammer heads and devil fish to good use.

Bring some anti tank troops, ideally guns, as they can move pretty damn far. If you can remove those nastly devilfish, chances are, you'll be able to catch him.
You'll also want some fast troops, though I'd suggest not too much transport, as railguns, and many other guns can just take them out with ease.
Bikers and those thingies with jetpacks would be pretty good.
Obviously, closecombat is your best bet, move as many units as you can straight into combat with whatever is causing the most trouble.

- sig artists - message me.
Tau
vs Marines: W-18 D-1 L-1
vs Orks: W-7 D-0 L-2
vs Guards: W-4 D-0 L-0
vs Necrons: W-4 D-0 L-2
I'm that good ^ ^ ^
piratemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2010, 19:04   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemonkey
Bring some anti tank troops, ideally guns, as they can move pretty damn far. If you can remove those nastly devilfish, chances are, you'll be able to catch him.
You'll also want some fast troops, though I'd suggest not too much transport, as railguns, and many other guns can just take them out with ease.
Bikers and those thingies with jetpacks would be pretty good.
Obviously, closecombat is your best bet, move as many units as you can straight into combat with whatever is causing the most trouble.
The first thing that you said for me screams LOOTAS as they have the range and the strength to deal with 'fishies, also you can use Kanz armed with rokkits to deal with them as well.

For the fast units I would say that stormboys would not be that effective as they will easily be shot down being as lightly armoured as they are.

[hr]

@ Sunburst

If you only have 4 kommandos + Snikrot you could use normal ork boyz as extra kommando's as that is basically what kommando's are, badass ork boyz.

- Will
Old 02 Jun 2010, 21:05   #23 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah I might bring a couple of lootas just to do some damage right away and to shoot down the tanks.

Gotta say why wouldent the stormboyz work, if I fx used Deep strike? almost no casualties (possible) and CC!
Sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 13:07   #24 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
For tau, you need 2 things.

1) Speed;
2) Get upclose and personal.

So put some boyz in those trukk and use those bikers. Move in fact and lock them in CC.

Don't try to outshoot them because they will win.
Ironically, they probably wouldn't even manage this if the Orks were totally geared towards shooting!

As a (reasonably competent) Tau player, my main concern would be Orks taking 1st turn and:
1. Deffkopta with Buzzsaw assaulting XV88 or Hammerhead (would survive flechettes) on Turn 1.
2. More than 1 biker unit, with 3+ cover save (and some with fail no pain who are also troops) ready for a Turn 2 assault.
3. The above followed by Trukks & wagons full of Boyz, also in range for a Turn 2 assault.

Have fun!
hobgnoblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 13:13   #25 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgnoblar
1. Deffkopta with Buzzsaw assaulting XV88 or Hammerhead (would survive
Or use this, supported by bikers &/or stormboyz if Tau go full ninja* with only a Relay'O on the table.

* or simply claim victory if the Tau go ultimate ninja and don't show up at all
hobgnoblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 20:17   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tau should be fairly easy to take down with Orks. We're faster and are good at shooting and close combat. Here are the units I would take:

Trukks, lots of them and a KFF mek in one
Two teams of koptas, one with a buzzsaw
Snikrot +buddies
Skorchabuggies for kroot
Tankbustas in a looted wagon
Bike boss with biker nobs
Lootas

That army can hit his force turn 2 easy. You'd be surprised how many times that KFF will stop a railgun shot from autopenning a trukk. Basically just rush everything forward as fast as possible, and keep the vehicles together. Take down the devilfish with lootas. If you have first turn turboscout the koptas to get 1st turn assaults on the hammherheads or XV8 teams.

If I were taking Tau against Orks I'd take:
Kroot, lots of them
Fire warriors in devilfish
Hammerheads
Deathrain suits
Gun drones
Piranhas
XV15s

I'd spread my forces out and make you split those trukks out and get out of KFF protection. I'd take down all your vehicles first (KFF one would be my main target), then once they're all dead I'd focus fire on the next fire on the troops, while feeding drones to the bikes.

Check out the batrep board for some Ork/Tau fights and get an idea of what worked. I've got one posted there; granted the guy I played was kind of dumb.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,95565.0.html
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 19:07   #27 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the assistence to everybody.. I think since so many people wrote and made so many good advises, I will write the result of the battle on saturday

It happens tommorow.. Hehe..

Thanks
Old 04 Jun 2010, 19:46   #28 (permalink)
Shas'El

Make sure to take notes and pictures if you can, then post it up in the batrep section:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php/board,180.0.html
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 20:38   #29 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry haven't thought of bringing a whole battle report :-[.. But we just finish the game(ANNIHILATION), had a blast and it lastet a nice count of 6 rounds and I dont know how many hours. :funny:

He surprised me with bringing a Farsight based army, it was good fun but I think that he was missing some kroots to block my boyz..

His farsigt dident prove that much of a fight, but the "prefered enemy" did give him alot of extra hits. So Im wondering why not use Etheral, to die and then gain the prefered enemy rule, while still having kroots? (I know kroot are to savage to recieve the rule themselves )

We both made tons of mistakes but it was fun and interesting all the way.

Things that proved awesome was natually Kommandos(Though they got Rapidly raped by warriors), trucks with a KFF Meck (Live much longer than you would think), lucky dices, Deffkoptas (First time ever, their T-Rokkit hit and killed )

Things that really suprised but owned Burna boyz (Cut through the suits and the warriors), Kustom Mega-Blasta! (Took out both suits and a hammerhead), Wazdakka (Was the main source to tons of destruction and killed several squads himself).

Thanks for all the advices and it was really a nice surprize that it was such a equal battle to the end.. We were on our toes.. ;D
Old 06 Jun 2010, 13:11   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah Wazdakka is amazing, I nearly always use him even though I only run two sqauds of bikes.

There are two great advantages to Wazdakka, the first is a squad of orks with T5 and a 4+ cover to hold objectives.

The other is that Wazdakka has an amazing gun. It has 4 shots, so most of the time you will hit with at least 1 hit, then at str 8 it can hit and damage a lot of things.

Did you win?

- Will