Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wots dis?
Old 07 May 2010, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Wots dis?

long time ork player. played speed freaks mostly. apparently i missed the discussion on why choppas got NERFED? is the FC and 2' combat zone supposed to offset that advantage they had with limiting saves? i havent done the math, but it seems the boys have been HAD. your thoughts? do i have a screw loose?
Angels Incarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 16:39   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Wots dis?

What is it, three attacks base on troops that cost slightly more than a melta bomb? I wouldn't complain for a second. Unloading tons of saves is better than reducing what the save is, especially agianst the non-MEqs you'll fight
Old 07 May 2010, 16:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

The boys are cheaper now so you can swamp them. Its not like they are underpowered now. There are no more heavy close combat weapons. The 2 inch radius helps a lot against hordes. lets see for one boy vs a marine with furious charge vs one with a heavy close combat weapon.

Yeah see there is not reason to complain how would you think so. Do you only play against deathwing or something?
Old 07 May 2010, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thats true, but ppl were actually avoided combat with orks before, even smaller mobs, because they could rack up the kills. although as im reading TB with 15 rokkits and a squad of 30 ard' boys seems nice.

teach an old dog new tricks i guess
Angels Incarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2010, 17:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Been a while since you last played and much has changed. I also enjoyed the reduced save but the new codex gives us a ton of really great things compared to the last and in the end we come out much better off than we were previously.
Old 08 May 2010, 13:20   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Incarnate
thats true, but ppl were actually avoided combat with orks before, even smaller mobs, because they could rack up the kills. although as im reading TB with 15 rokkits and a squad of 30 ard' boys seems nice.

But you see - there is an upside to not having choppas. Shootas have had a serious boost. We can now inflict alot of carnage at 24" (with movement) rather than having to rely on the assault phase.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 10:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Incarnate

don't forget the not-so-trivial fact that Boys got their price-tag nearly cut in half to boot. Combined with Furious Charge that's more than enough to bust a few heads. Also, don't forget that with S4 on the charge, da ladz now have a chance to kill vehicles in CC.

Besides, I never liked the rationale of those behind those "heavy"-weapons. Furious Charge represents the Orks better, and ties in more nicely with the other rules.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You are all forgetting the old codex.
A truck full of boys with a nob Pk Iron gob THREE (3) Burnas which could take out a Tank,
is about the same price of the same in a trukk with the new codex.
So where do you get this cheaper nonsense?
I would much prefer the old codex in fifth ed.
Imagine 160 points and you have an extra 3 burnas in the squad.
Burnas = 4 strength + d6 +3 x 9 attacks.
Even better 9 x power wepon attacks.
Even an idiot can work out which is better.
The New codex is still 4th ed came out about 8 months before the BOB.
Now carry on telling me that its so great.
Follow the forums, Orks always come in the top 10 But never win.
Even eldar win sometimes.
Obis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 12:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, for starters the old codex didn't allow Sluggas and Shootas to take Trukks, you had to instead take up a fast attack slot and field Trukk Boyz. We can now field "Trukk Boyz" as a troop choice and that's huge in 5th. The old Trukks only carried 10 models where the new ones carry 12 and we all know the more boyz the better. The old would give you 10 Boyz (including a Nob) + Trukk for 131pts bare bones. The new gets you 12 Boyz (including Nob) + Trukk for 117pts. Where are you getting cheaper and including burnas and being cheaper? The new gets you 2 more bodies for less. True, the new one doesn't get your burnas in the unit but with the points you're saving on the units themselves you are fielding more bodies, which means more attacks and in turn more dead things.

Anyway, we could all sit here and discuss the differences between the last codex and the new ad nauseum, in fact we all did that about 2.5 years ago when it came out. There really isn't much to be accomplished by it however. I miss some stuff from the old codex, bionik bounces, bionik arms, Zzap guns, mobbing up, etc, but in the end we made out well with the current codex. Like anything you can't sit and compare an old unit to a new to determine where we stand, you have to look at the big picture.