Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to war 40 with a few question
Old 01 May 2010, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to war 40 with a few question

Hey guys, just started playing this game and had my first battle last saturday(a 2vs2) and it was awsome, although I lost battle....but i will not lose the war.

Anyway, now that i know how to play a bit i have a few question.

1)Does troop choice count toward your points or is it free?

2) Againts 2 space marine oooohhhmiiees noobz, should i just try to rush with my Trukk and Battlewagon loaded with troops and engaged in hand to hand?

3)Like I said I lost the battle mainly because me and my partner started very very bad the game and its was not until turn 4 that we were making good progress. IMO the only reason we lost is because of my evil friend Land raider tank that stood in my way of victory. I threw everything on it but in the end, the only thing i got was 1 weapon destroyed and 1 crew shaken. If i had a bit more luck victory would have been 100% mine. My question, what can I do againts a Land Raider?

4)At start of the game, should just try to rush everything to the enemy or move 6 inch then shoot something?

krahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to war 40 with a few question

1) Are you asking if troops cost points, or are free? If so everything in the codex has a points value and that is what you need to spend to get that unit/item.

2 and 4) Depends on what type of army you have and what type of army you are going against. If he has a immobile gunline rush him, if he plays a nasty close combat Blood Angels or Space Wolves army you might want to sit and shoot for a bit.

3) Tankhammers, power claws, deffrollas, and dreadnought close combat weapons. If you can't reliable kill it; ignore it can kill the rest of his army.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 01:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah im aksing if they are free if there aloud to be troop choice like Big Mek with Deff Dread.

For my army I really didnt konw what to buy at first since i didnt know how to play. So I just look at gameworkshop site and look at what looks cool and do for my first plan of attack. We were playing a 1500 army game and after i calculated everything I end up with 1336 points.

I know the rulebook said that army should be roughly be the same but we were playing with friends so i diddnt care. And they funny thing we almost won if not for the damn Land raider.

I got so far:
2 Nobz squad
1 warboss
3 deffkoptass
1 Trukk
1 Battleagon
1 Deffdread
3 Killa Kans
50 boys.

With various upgrade i got to 1336 points.

This iw only my started up army to learn how to play. When i get back to a store im gonna buy Ghazkull and a Big Mek with Kustom Force Field and few more troops.
krahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 02:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

The KFF mek is a great idea. Your army looks pretty good, though, despite lacking a few boyz. And no, nothing in this game is free. Each ork boy costs a few points and that's what you pay. The reason your warboss makes nobz count as troops and the mek count your dread as troops is so it frees up more slots in your Heavy and Elite section of the force organization chart. Also, troops are the only units that can capture objectives. (Note that the nobz can, but the dread can't because he's a vehicle)

How are your units fitted out? ie- what does your warboss have, nobz, deffkoptas, etc.

As to your idea of rushing: this is exactly what you want to do as an ork. Run those sluggas up as fast as possible, shooting with them is pretty pointless. If you have shootas in the trukk, then it's not so bad to sit back and shoot out of it, but generally speaking all of your guys should be trying to get stuck in.

Also, point differences will make a big deal. Next time your short a few points, just give a squad of boyz heavy armor and pimp out your nob squad. It increases their survivability and brings you up to points! It's only fair :P
Old 03 May 2010, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
The KFF mek is a great idea. Your army looks pretty good, though, despite lacking a few boyz.
Or more transports. My current 1.500 pt army has about 7 Nobs, 4 Meganobs, 44 Boys, 10 Grots and 9 Burnas in it, as well as 3 Battlewagons and 3 Trukks, screened by a KFF-Mek (a 4+ cover save for vehicles always comes in handy).
The trick here is to use either transports to protect your units from incoming fire and/or getting them as fast as possible into CC, or just using the "Green Tide" approach.

Quote:
Also, point differences will make a big deal. Next time your short a few points, just give a squad of boyz heavy armor and pimp out your nob squad. It increases their survivability and brings you up to points! It's only fair :P
Note that I'm not sold on this approach. Generally, upgrading units until you can play a fixed amount of points is not a good idea; simply because most upgrades are not cost effective, or at least are only cost effective if used in the right circumstances, like 'Ard Boys, for example, or our vehicle upgrades. Sure, you could pimp out your Trukk that much it comes in at 80 points, but that's hardly a smart idea. If you don't have enough points to comfortably play 1,5K, just play a 1.250 point game. Your army will grow later on, anyway; I'm still drooling at the thought of adding more Battlewagons, more Meganobs, a few Buggies,.... 8)
[hr]

Now, Land Raiders... they are a difficult thing; both to use properly and to fight against. Your best bet is just ramming the damn thing with a Deffrolla; d6 S10 hits + the ramming damage should do a decent amount of damage to the thing. Also, a unit of Meganobs could mess up the LR quite nicely. Still, usually, a LR transports a quite nasty CC unit, so you do NOT want to charge the tank, maybe destroy it, and give the transported unit a charge next turn... so the only really viable option there is the Deffrolla. Rokkits are very iffy, since S8 is not really reliable against AV14, and don't even get me started on the Grot artillery - Zzap Guns are completely random, and the Kannon faces the same issues as the Rokkits.
What COULD work as well are boarding planks. I've used them quite successfully against a Furioso last game, immobilising it on first turn. It spent the rest of the game quite frustrated, shooting its Stormbolter at my Battlewagons. But again; if the LR moved last turn, you won't score auto-hits; again, the Deffrolla wins hands down.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote