Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gretchins - Worth Taking?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Gretchins - Worth Taking?

I just got myself some Gretchins from my LGS yesterday and I need some advices.

Aside from objective sitting as most people would do, I was thinking of fielding them in a gunline. I'm a defensive player mostly and I tend to run shoota Boyz, Lootas and Kans for "bunkers".

The problem is do I really need 30 Gretchins to form a firing line along my Boyz? Wouldn't it be more significant to field 20 Shoota Boyz instead? 18" Assault 2 S4 AP6 is nothing to sneeze at compare to Grot Blasta which is a meager 12" Assault 1 S3 AP-. The only difference being its BS3 vs BS2. I like to field them on the fluffy side of the game only.

40 Shots at BS2 vs 30 Shots at BS3.

That aside, how potent do y'all think they could be? It's like fielding Guardsman in my opinion.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Gretchins - Worth Taking?

In my opinion grots are useful for three things.

1. Sitting on an objective going to ground every time anyone aims for them.

or

2. Running forward in front of your boys as a walking, talking cover save occasionally opening fire

and finally

3. Bogging down units that may be able to damage/bog down your boys or nobz or any thing else, so the boyz can charge the juicy stuff then afterwards charge in with the grots.

- Will

And good luck with your waaagh, how is it going? Are you enjoying it?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Waagh goes in the right direction, as Orky as it can be. :P

I was hoping Gretchins to be more worth pumping lead into enemies like Guardsman and Nids. And it's pretty fluffy to have them together with a horde/dakka army as well.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I suppose they can be used in that role but hitting the enemy with a blunt/sharp object works better, having 2-4 attacks each is better than one shot. Cos you only got one shot, so make it count... and they can't very often.

Try them in what ever role you want and see how they perform. I don't actually use gretchin so I am kinda going on things I have read and heard rather than my own experiences. SO try things out and see what works for you.

- Will
Old 22 Mar 2010, 14:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kaos summed it up in his first response. You don't field Grots with the intent of mowing down infantry. They may do that but it's more of a bonus, just like an Ork Boy killing something with his slugga before he charges; it can happen but it's a bonus and not something you're banking on.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know they do that since that's what comes naturally for an Ork player using Gretchins. I would field them in combat and see how they fare with shooting and charging into combat long enough for the other Boyz to reach in for a multi-krumpin' session.

For the most times, it will be interesting to see them shoot aside from tarpitting only. Being dakka army, I thought they would be a nice addition. BS3 is kinda nice change of pace.

I got an interesting question:

30 Grots had to take a leadership test, I know Runtherds have to use Squighounds to do re-roll leadership test with D3 Gretchin. What if I got a bosspole on a Warboss and sit together with Gretchins, does that mean I can re-roll leadership test on a single unit instead?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Technically yes, but why would you want to? That is a huge investment just to save 1 or 2 grots.

I think they do very well for sneaky objective-stealing and quarter-contesting. I don't think they can compare with Shoota Boyz in a gunline, and the Kustom Force Field is a better investment if you are looking for cover moving up. The problem with large units of Grots as a meatshield is that they can also get in your way very easily.

So I think they are worth taking, but they are sort of a "Special Teams" unit.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2010, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Grotz are additionally quite good as ablative wounds.
I used to use a pack of 15 when I would run an SAG Mek, and well, nothing is more frustrating for your opponent than to watch a chunk of grotz die, and you keep holding out
With the unit size at 17 (15+Runtherd+Mek), 5 grotz have to die (which is kind of hard given the range you're firing the SAG from) for you to make a check, and you can always feed some to the Squighound if you need to re-roll...

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 15:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Bigtoof that is sort of unfluffy because no grot will get near that dang thing or so it says in the codex.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 15:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

No Grot would willingly go near it but if the Big Mek tells them to stand right next to him then they have no choice. Remember, might makes right.