Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Boarding Planks and Dreads
Old 14 Mar 2010, 16:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Boarding Planks and Dreads

Hi All,
Sorry to post, but an interesting question came up:
If you use a Boarding Plank on a Dread (as it is technically a vehicle), does the Dread get to hit you back? If so... how is it resolved?
Not sure if there was a consensus, but wanted to get people's thoughts.

Thanks,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 16:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Boarding Planks and Dreads

Hi,

I'm not sure in terms of RAW but in my personal opinion using a boarding plank is going into combat. I see it as the trukk goes past and a klaw comes flying from the side which makes impact (hopefully) on the vehicle/walker and then continues on past, then the walker can assault the trukk/wagon if they want but they would not get to attack back.

Thats just my opinion.

- Will

Oh and one other thing.

Quote:
Sorry to post,
Why? This is a forum the whole point is to post.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Nope. The Boarding Plank allows an embarked model to make its own attacks. It doesn't constitute an actual round of close combat, so a Walker would not strike back.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Nope. The Boarding Plank allows an embarked model to make its own attacks. It doesn't constitute an actual round of close combat, so a Walker would not strike back.
So, you're saying that you can conduct a drive-by attack with a Warboss with a Power Klaw on a Dread without getting hit back? :sadnshocked: ... :huh:

hmm, something doesn't seem right here. The rules state, "allows a single Ork to make its close combat attacks against a single enemy vehicle... exactly as if the Ork were disembarked and charging."

Here's how I would resolve it. The Ork counts as charging the Dread as per the boarding plank rules, and thus the two are in combat with each other. The Dread can swing at [just] the attacking Ork. However, since the models are not in base-to-base, at the end neither counts as being engaged.

It is not hard to imagine an Ork with a Power Klaw trying to swing a strike into a Dreadnought using the speed and force of impact from the Trukk for an effective strike. Then as he swings the Dreadnought turns around and bashes his bulk into the plank, knocking the Ork off, who flies into the Dread, is knocked unconscious and then stepped upon.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't think that's possible in my opinion.

Sure, you get the luxury of hitting the Dreadnought but it's a gamble.

Do you want to hit him and risk a bad roll, then getting just a simple weapon destroyed and he'll be able to hit you back in his assault phase anyways. I find that balanced for what it does.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
hmm, something doesn't seem right here. The rules state, "allows a single Ork to make its close combat attacks against a single enemy vehicle... exactly as if the Ork were disembarked and charging."
But it doesn't say that the Dreadnought gets to make its attacks. So it doesn't. It doesn't say "fight a round of close combat". You can imagine it in other ways, but the rules are not ambiguous. It is not quite a drive-by, though, since the Trukk can't move at full speed and it has to end up right next to the Dreadnought. So the walker can assault in its own turn, but it can't strike back against a model using a Boarding Plank any more than it could against a Wrecking Ball or a ranged weapon.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 18:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
But it doesn't say that the Dreadnought gets to make its attacks. So it doesn't. It doesn't say "fight a round of close combat". You can imagine it in other ways, but the rules are not ambiguous. It is not quite a drive-by, though, since the Trukk can't move at full speed and it has to end up right next to the Dreadnought. So the walker can assault in its own turn, but it can't strike back against a model using a Boarding Plank any more than it could against a Wrecking Ball or a ranged weapon.

That just sounds really, really mean, and a little awkward. The reason I say this is because one of the weaknesses behind the Power Klaw (even if it's hidden) is the low Initiative value. With this, you get to completely bypass that, and you can't even be struck back. If I were the Ork player at least, I would allow the Dread to at least attack the Ork back.

Against a regular Dreadnought it would be 4 Attacks, hit on 4+ (3+ with a Waaagh! Banner), Str: 9... can't be stuck back, that's extremely ugly (and that's just a regular Nob w/PK!). If that were a Warboss w/Squig, that would be a total of 6 attacks hitting on 3+ at Str:10. If you ask me, it would be one fairly lucky Dreadnought that will have the chance to shoot/charge it later.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 18:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
That just sounds really, really mean, and a little awkward. The reason I say this is because one of the weaknesses behind the Power Klaw (even if it's hidden) is the low Initiative value. With this, you get to completely bypass that, and you can't even be struck back. If I were the Ork player at least, I would allow the Dread to at least attack the Ork back.
It is a Trukk. You are supposed to shoot it before it gets there. I don't see this as being any different from driving a Rhino or Chimera up and firing a Meltagun out of the hatch. You get more attacks, but you also have to be a lot closer to use them, and they are not AP1.

If you were playing Orks and wanted to house rule it, I doubt anyone would complain. But I would suggest trying it out. I have not found it to be overpowering, or even particularly useful. Keep in mind that a loaded Trukk or Battlewagon usually poses a threat range of 8" out in front since it is open-topped. More if you have yet to call a Waaagh!. The Boarding Plank only poses a 2" threat range. That makes it extremely situational.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Khanaris, the wording doesn't allow a counter attack by the dread, or any other walker. Plus there is no way to work out the details. Does the dread hit the nob, the trukk, can it kill just the nob, or can a boy take the wound? Like he said it is a range 2" weapon in a vehicle with paper armor. The chances of it happening are slim, and if you did pull it off once, that would be the only time it happened because the opponent would be sure to gun down trukks heads towards dreads next time.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 21:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, it seems reasonable then that you can BP dreads.
The reason why I ask is all of the talk of Dread heavy lists coming in from the new Blood Angel Codex.
I really don't want to throw a unit at any of the Dreads, especially if it'll only just tie them up for a turn. But if I can roll in, quickly immobilize or stun one while the rest of the army deals with it later, then that'll work out well.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote