Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Guide to Deff-Rolling: Dos and Don'ts for Grinding Gitz
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default A Guide to Deff-Rolling: Dos and Don'ts for Grinding Gitz

Hi All,
I wanted to start a little thread as what is best to Deff-Roll, and as important, what NOT to Deff-Roll.
Note: These are just my opinions, feel free to add or comment as you like!

Intro:
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Deff-Rolla, it's rules are pretty simple:
If you hit a vehicle, it takes 1d6 S10 hits to the facing you hit it with.
If you hit foot-sloggers, it does the same number of hits.
If a Walker or foot-slogger decides to Death or Glory you, they take 2d6 S10 hits, but you are automatically hit with whatever they decide to blast/smash you with.
I've been Deff-Rolling for quite a while now, so here's my list of Do's and Don'ts:

Do:
1. Walkers (without a Chainfist or Melta)
Dreads are a pain for many Ork armies. Tough to kill, tough to deal with, and you have to hope you get lucky with your PKs. Nobz also are prime fodder for Dreads, as the Dreads can S10 you all day.
Worse yet, Ironclad Dreads and Soul Grinders are front armor AR13, which makes it almost impossible (or at least very improbable) that you'll be able to take them apart on the first turn. And without furious charge, your Boyz are stuck. Probably for a long time.
Now, Deff-rolling Walkers is actually pretty easy to setup. They move like infantry, and are huge targets, so it's pretty easy to get them lined up for the hit. Now, before you think about rolling, ask the question "Do they have a Chainfist or Melta?"
If yes, do not attempt, as you'll only end in heartache, as he'll wreck your Wagon. If not, proceed to roll and get some decent hits.
At worst, you seriously maim the Walker early on, and then your Boyz can take care of it once you've immoblized/taken the CCW off of it.
Now, the Dread could always try to Death or Glory it, but remember that he'll take S10 hits... to the rear armor... which is usually AR10... which means automatic penetrating hits. Which makes it a sticky situation...

2. Elites in small numbers
My favorite thing to Deff-Rolla is probably Nob Bikers. Followed Closely by Thunderwolf Calvary.
Why the Bikers? First of all, it's an S10 hit, which ignores their FNP, ignores their cover save and will auto kill one. They're usually in small numbers, so losing one or two will really hurt them.
Same with Thunderwolf Calvary, as they're insta-killed by S10 as well, but you'll kill less than the Nobz. Still, both are fun to grind down, and you'll make your opponent really worry

3. Transports (NOT SKIMMERS)
Transports of any kind really. Whether Rhinos or Chimeras or heck, even Land Raiders, they all are fall (or are decently maimed) by the Deff-Rolla. For extra points, try to angle yourself so that if you get a wondrous explosion, you'll keep going and hit more of them. Transports are great to take down, as you'll do your harm in the movement phase, and keep them from evading you once they get out of their rides (I usually keep a WAARGH hand to deal with stragglers).
Oh, but not Skimmers (see why later...)

4. Monstrous Creatures (with <S6)
Why MCs? Some MCs need to be harmed a bit. My current favorite to Deff-Roll is the Mawloc, as he always seems to be nicely available. Although any S6 or less MC is fine.
Why S6? An MC needs at least an 8 to harm the Wagon, and if that fails (which about half the time it will), the MC is INSTANTLY DESTROYED.
But it is SO tempting for the MCs to try and swat that annoying Deff-Rolla Wagon that some might try the odds...
So, yes, Great Unclean Ones, Swarmlords, Trygons, Mawlocs, and many more are fair game.
Granted, about half the time, you'll fail to take them down, but you'll give them 2d6 "goodbye" wounds, and then you'll have at least hurt them a bit before blasting them.
And remember, a lot of MCs aren't fearless (the Mawloc comes to mind), so if they fail their morale check, they'll run as well as take the 1d6 S10 hits

5. Buildings/Bastions
I've only seen this done once, and I'm not sure if it's legal, but hitting a Building/Fortress with 1d6 S10 hits is pretty brutal. It can cave it in and force the guys inside to walk.

DON'T
This section should be entitled: PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! But, I decided to be less dramatic.
Things to be avoided:

1. Skimmers
Yes, I know that means mostly Tau and Eldar, but Valks as well. They can easily avoid the Rolla on a 3+, and leaving you there looking like a git.

2. Chainfists
Always watch what you roll, as the chainfist will really hurt you with S8+2d6. Just... roll the Terms that don't have this. And AVOID the Walker sized ones.

3. Melta
NEVER NEVER Deff-Roll melta (unless you don't want the Wagon to survive... which is a tactica for another time), as they can easily throw a guy in the way and your Wagon will perish.

Hmm, that's all that's off the top of my head.

Please feel free to add army specific units or leave comments!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A Guide to Deff-Rolling: Dos and Don'ts for Grinding Gitz

Just to hammer the point home, although I think you touched on it:

The only models that can try for a Death or Glory attack are those that are those that are/were in the vehicle's path. If you can angle your drive up such that you only run over regular infantry, it doesn't matter if there is a meltagun or a chainfist elsewhere in the unit.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Absolutely!
I actually found out that little rule the hard way a bit ago in a Space Marines battle...
Hmm, should probably write that up.
Angling the Deff-Rolla is half the fun is all, as it can get pretty hairy to try and miss those specific guys

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you can do enough harm (25%), you can force morale checks on opponents, which makes Deff-Rolling small squishy units (like guard) fun as they can actually run away in the movement phase!

Best,
-BT

Edit: And remember, that's 2 checks for the Guard, as they have to check to try and not immediately run for being Tank-shocked, and then another if they lose 25% (which in some small units is really not that hard).
Old 26 Feb 2010, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought the additional d6 S 10 hits the Deffrolla causes for "DoG"-attempts are taken BEFORE the DoG takes place? So, I cause 2d6 hits before the opponent gets to shoot/hit back - this means certain death for most Walkers...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 15:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It states "Any Tank Shock made by a Battlewagon with a Deff Rolla causes X Strength Y hits on the victim unit. If the unit elects to make a Death or Glory attack, it takes a further X Strength Y hits in addition to the usual effects."

It does not seem clear in which order you do these things, so I'd suggest rolling a d6 for it each time it occurs, as that seems the only fair way to do it.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 00:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I thought the D6 hits and the DoG unit struck at the same time?
Smoke Checked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would say that they happen at the same time, since it doesn't give an order.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

They updated the general rules in a FAW so if you want to take out a skimmer now, just stun or immobilize it first then run it over with a deffrolla.

Page 71 Ramming a skimmer.
The first sentence should be changed to:
Skimmers that are not immobilised or stunned
may try to dodge [].
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
They updated the general rules in a FAW so if you want to take out a skimmer now, just stun or immobilize it first then run it over with a deffrolla.

Page 71 Ramming a skimmer.
The first sentence should be changed to:
Skimmers that are not immobilised or stunned
may try to dodge [].
You know, I've been thinking about this point all day. Just not sure how to try and get a stun/immobilization out in time to get a Deff-Roll off. Ideally, you'd want to try and somehow stun them in the Movement phase or on your opponent's phase. I suppose if he tried to go into cover and immobilized himself it would work...

Best,
-BT

P.S. Re: Deff-Rollas and timing, our house rules are that the opponent decides DoG, then the hits are rolled which are considered simultaneous with the strike. But I suppose it's open to interpretation, and I'd check with your mates.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Would this work?

Turn 1:

Eldar: do whatever

Orks: stun/immobilize skimmer with shooting or close combat

Turn 2:

Eldar; skimmer is stunned/immobilzed

Orks: run it over with deffrolla
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote