Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Tactica: "The Firey Column of Death" or "How to defeat Bubble Wrap"
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ork Tactica: "The Firey Column of Death" or "How to defeat Bubble Wrap"

Hi All,
Now that Deff-Rolling is in the spotlight, I wanted to share a tactic that I think works decently well. Warning: This does require some "dancing" with your Wagon, and you need a good eye for distance, however, I've done it, and I have a crappy judge for distances.

If you've been playing (as or against) guard, you'll be aware that foot-slogging guard love a tactic known as "bubble-wrapping."

You take a small squad that you really want to keep alive (i.e. a Command Squad), and then surround it with a lot of normal guardsmen. Backed by a Commissar and behind cover, it's almost impossible to shift and without real shooting backup, you can't take them down. Worse yet, you can't even get a decent assault, as you'll just hit the big squad, and then be tied up... forever.

This is of course bad.

So, the idea is, how to get at the tasty, squishier guys.
And since this is me, I thought of an idea.

It does require:
1. A crafty opponent who knows Death or Glory rules
2. An open-topped Battlewagon with Nobs ideally with a Bosspole and Cybork Bodies (also important later).
3. Brass Ones and a bit of desperation, oh and a WAARGH!.

Take this scenario: it's been a long, long game, you've destroyed a lot of tanks, he's wiped out a lot of your Boyz and especially all of your Lootas.

All you need to do is take down his command squad.
Whether it's for KPs, tournament assassination special points or whatever, you need to get in there and smash them in the face for the good of Gork and Mork.
However, he's thoroughly bubblewrapped himself.

I put in my "Nightmare Scenario" Command Squad, which is a Commissar Lord, Creed, 2 Bodyguards, a Medic and a Meltagun guy. Oh, and 30 Guardsmen with a Commissar and Heavy Weapon Teams. This unit would be blasting away all game long, especially with Creed (shake fist).

All you have is a Nob Squad (8 or so mind you), a Deff-Rolla Battlewagon, and desperation. A lot of it.

Take note of the situation, you'll notice that the Meltagun in the Command Squad is aimed right at the Battlewagon. That's good, but any number of Meltas in the Command Squad is fine. IG players seem to take meltas on reflex, so be assured they'll have a few.

The big blob squad doesn't have any meltas in your path, probably as they've been zapping you all game long with plasma or whatnot. Or they didn't really care. After all, it's not their job. In any case, here's what you do to penetrate the bubblewrap.

Note: vary your angle if there are Meltas in the big blob. It takes a bit of doing, but it works out right most times.

1. Deffroll into the blob!
As there's no Meltas in your way, the blob will be forced to move 1" away from you. You'll also do 1d6 S10 wounds, but we'll just ignore that for right now.

2. Hit the Command Squad!
Now this is a bit of a hard choice once you hit their command squad. He won't want to death or glory you, but really, you'll do 7 or so wounds on average, and he's got bodyguards out the wazoo to take them on. Plus, most IG LOVE "surprise" melta-ing AR14 vehicles. I put the #2 objective back there to give them extra incentive to melta you, as if you go your full 12/13" you'll be dangerously close to "gasp" contesting!

Fake hysterics and disappointment are not necessary, but are fine for the dramatic lot amongst you

With 2d6+S8, and rolling 1d6+2 on the damage table your Wagon is pretty toast.

3. The Melta kills the Battlewagon! Good job 'Toof!
Well, there's two scenarios:

A. The Melta extra kills the Wagon, exploding it.
This is the best scenario. The Wagon explodes. You'll hurt the blob a little bit. They might care. Probably not though.
Hopefully you've taken your Bosspole, and your Nobz will not be pinned. With placement, you can fit about 8 or so Nobz in the space where your Wagon once was.
Good. Now your Nobz are right in the face of the enemy! Ta Da! Shoot/Flame as necessary and assault.

B. The Melta just wrecks the Wagon.
Oh, good as well. Note that the Battlewagon is actually pretty long.
Now dismount out the back and get ready...

Now people are saying: Wait 'Toof! How are we going to get an assault in?

And that's why this Tactica is called the "Firey Column of Death."

Sound your WAARGH and then... run into the wrecked (and now dangerous) terrain that used to be your Wagon. The Wagon will have moved everyone away, and you'll be able to assault in with no trouble at all, assuming you can cross the 7" or so to get the Command Squad. It's dangerous yes, which is why I recommend Nobs with Cybork Bodies to help lessen the pain of having to move TWICE over Dangerous Terrain. If Boyz tried it, well, it might work, but that's a lot of burnt Orks.

This is not a perfect tactic by any means, as it requires proper placement of your Wagon and the enemy's decision to melta you. Surprisingly (or not so), most people don't mind Melta-ing the Wagon. But, the Wagon acts as a good way to get in and make that assault.

What can go wrong? Besides the enemy not melta-ing you?

Well, you might be pinned, but that's why you have the Bosspole.

You could fail your assault, but that's a risk you'll have to take.

And your Wagon might be immobilized instead. Which is... less than ideal.

However, I've rarely had that happened with a 66% chance of the enemy to destroy your Wagon. You just have to try
Hope you like it.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Ork Tactica: "The Firey Column of Death" or "How to defeat Bubble Wrap"

nice taktica. I love the diagrams!
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Ork Tactica: "The Firey Column of Death" or "How to defeat Bubble Wrap"

This is so...orky. If I ever make an ork army I need to do this at some point, because it utterly epitomizes the army to me.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
This is so...orky. If I ever make an ork army I need to do this at some point, because it utterly epitomizes the army to me.
OMG! Did the CSM guy say he wants to play Orks!?!? Welcome anyway >
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 13:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the replies and compliments!

The pics for VASSAL took longer than I thought, but I'm glad it was worth it, as it's hard to explain otherwise.

I think this tactic only works for Orks, as they're the only ones with open-topped transports with really tough assault forces. Might work with Dark Eldar too though...

BTW, I forgot to mention it, but the Deff-Rolla is a must for the vehicle, as it adds that precious few inches to the front length, letting you disembark out the back easier (in case IG is spread out a bit more than in the pic), and making sure that all of the Nobz make it out of the wreck ok.

Best,
-BT
Old 27 Feb 2010, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doesn't the bosspole only work for morale tests, not anything else.

scar
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Face
Doesn't the bosspole only work for morale tests, not anything else.

scar
Yes, that is correct.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2010, 01:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah!
Then bringing 9 Nobz would probably help then
Or a Warboss. Darn, and it seemed so much more plausable for a while, but I still put this up in "desperate, but hopeful scenarios"

Best,
-BT
Old 28 Feb 2010, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Wargear (Deffrolla) is not part of the hull, so you can't disembark out of it :P
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2010, 11:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Can an opponent blow off a Deffrolla with a weapon destroyed result?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote