Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kommandos
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Kommandos

I'm thinking about fielding them in a bigger game, but out of curiosity, can I equip them with shootas instead of sluggas?

Also, how good is Snikrot? Is he worth fielding? He seems to be too bloody expensive.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kommandos

You have the codex, right? So you should know the answer to your first question, which is a no.

Snikrot, some of us love him and others don't. He's expensive but the biggest thing, in my opinion, that you are paying for with him is being able to choose the edge you come in on, remember this includes long edges. He is a monster in assault also. He may not have a power weapon but he wounds easy, has a ton of attacks and gets to re-rolls failed hits. Snikrot will put a dent into most anything he's fighting.

Some people do prefer a normal Nob so they can get a PK, which is never a bad idea. It's also cheaper taking a normal Nob, obviously. In either case taking burnas with the Kommandos tends to work out well since odds are you're being sneaky and will end up charging something in cover, so no cover saves from the burna. Of course there's the power weapon attacks option too. I've tried fielding these guys with 2 rokkits for cheap armor shots and it has never paid off for me, lousy BS and all. Big shootas aren't a terrible idea with them either.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

The fact that you can pick what board edge you want to start on later in the game is immensely advantageous. And just plain awesome. Snikky's only weakness is that he doesn't have anything that ignores armor, but the Str. 6 re-reroll to hit is nice on the charge. His price is hefty, but worth it if you want to field kommandos right.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry for being ignorant but that's the reason I need to ask and clarify if I can equip the Kommandos with Shootas. I just find it abit odd that we couldn't. I've read the codex already.

I'm just thinking that tactically speaking, it might be cool to have the group coming out, shoot, and then assault. It'll be more worth to use them than Deffkoptas. Other than that, I think Big shootas can be a waste, and rokkits are not even worth it with their sodding BS. They should've consider using the 3 rockets launcher (Assault 3), like the ones in Dawn of War 2 game. It might've been worth it to use them as anti-tank.

At what kind of point that Snikrot will feel useful? I think it's too expensive to even consider under a 1k game.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

No you cant equip them with shootas.

Big shootas are quite good if you play IG as most tanks have 10 rear armour. Or you can try to use rokkits but use at least 2 if you want any sort of result.

Snikrot could be available form 1000pt as he is not really that bigger sink by then and the enemy will have more tanks for him to attack the rear armour of.

Just my opinion

- Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos

Big shootas are quite good if you play IG as most tanks have 10 rear armour. Or you can try to use rokkits but use at least 2 if you want any sort of result.

Snikrot could be available form 1000pt as he is not really that bigger sink by then and the enemy will have more tanks for him to attack the rear armour of.

Just my opinion

- Will
That actually sounds good. Thanks alot of that suggestion. I've already considered modeling my Kommandos with left over big shootas. I doubt I necessarily need bigga stuff since I'm playing mostly 1k games and below. And a 5 and 6s to glance and penetrate is actually not a big deal when you got at least 6 shots off, probably.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos

Just my opinion

- Will
That actually sounds good. Thanks alot of that suggestion. I've already considered modeling my Kommandos with left over big shootas. I doubt I necessarily need bigga stuff since I'm playing mostly 1k games and below. And a 5 and 6s to glance and penetrate is actually not a big deal when you got at least 6 shots off, probably.
Glad to be a help .

And I think it would be a good use for the left over big shootas, even better if you consider converting them from boyz in the first place :P.

Six shots might seem however average says 2 hit so it could be a bit more difficult than you make out. Then again luck is fickle :P. But there is always a charge to follow >. With re-rolls for a stre 5 model (snikrot) against rear armour I think it should be quite impressive.

But for me I would avoid flamers as I just don't feel they will help too much although in lower points games against guard it might be effective, I'm not sure, I would always go with big shootas personally but it may work better other ways for different people.

- Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, big shootas are alot cheaper than burnas, the only difference is that you rely on Orky BS instead of flamer template.

I've been thinking though, if I take burnas, What happens if I assault? Do I take the weapon's consideration (S4) or just the fact that they're only power weapon, meaning base stat of Kommando (S3)?

Snikrot is impressive, just abit higher priced than an upgraded Nob leader but lower stats, too bad he can't take a power klaw or something, at least that'll do some pretty damage against nasty tanks like Hammerheads, knowing they'll mostly camp and shoot.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Well, big shootas are alot cheaper than burnas, the only difference is that you rely on Orky BS instead of flamer template.

I've been thinking though, if I take burnas, What happens if I assault? Do I take the weapon's consideration (S4) or just the fact that they're only power weapon, meaning base stat of Kommando (S3)?

Snikrot is impressive, just abit higher priced than an upgraded Nob leader but lower stats, too bad he can't take a power klaw or something, at least that'll do some pretty damage against nasty tanks like Hammerheads, knowing they'll mostly camp and shoot.
You have furious charge so the first turn you get a bonus to stre (see rulebook for more details) so you would definatly chose to use the template first.

- Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The weapon choice depends really on how you plan to use them. If you're intending to infiltrate and be a distraction then you can't go wrong with big shootas since they'll give you some range, especially if you plan to squat somewhere. Rokkits are an option, though again in my experience not a great one, at trying to get some side & rear armor shots on vehicles since you could infiltrate to a good spot or outflank. Being BS2 means on average you won't even land one of those rokkits but you can get lucky. Burnas are perfect if you plan to smash into units that tend to hang back like Devastators, artillery, or just for breaking up a gun line like Tau or IG.

Dobb, you're using the Ork's strength, not the weapon strength, so base S3 or S4 on the charge. Using the flame template is generally a good choice too, especially if you're dealing with units in cover or units you're going to have a hard time taking on in assault. Don't let the power weapon potential sway you to one way of thinking about how to use it. If putting down the template and potentially killing off a few extras bodies before you get the charge is going to help sway combat in your favor then do it. At the same time, be careful that you don't kill off so many that they have to take a morale check they will likely fail and leave you standing there to get shot next turn.