Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Tactika - Da Tankbustas
Old 11 Feb 2010, 13:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Ork Tactika - Da Tankbustas

Glory hogs or not, tankbustas are a very handy asset to almost any branch of ork tribe. They are ideal for taking out the nasty tanks with the templates, or the ones which will shoot your battlewagons to the moon and back. They have a variety of uses and options, and overall are a great unit.

The Unit

So lets look at what you get in a tankbusta unit. Generally, as with most ork units, the more the better. Taking a "full" squad of 15 tankbustas including a nob with bosspole, and a handful of squigs will cost you around the 250 point mark, and you will get 15 rokkit launchers. Even with BS2, 15 rokkits is bound to kill something, even a monolith isnt completly safe (but dont bet your next set of teef on it)

Also, they take up an elite spot. Sure, they share it with nobs, meganobs, nob bikers, lootas, burnas, kommandos. But if you take a warboss, a squad of nobs counts as troops. Therefore taking a squad of tankbustas still leaves you with the option of the many other elite option units.

If your going for a little unit for a 1000pt game, about 7 or 8 + nob will do it nicely, with perhaps a squig or two. This is still enough to cause some damage to a few tanks, and when there are none within line of sight, they can send volleys of rokkits into the enemy. When your looking for firepower, there isnt much better than these guys. They dont last too long in lower numbers, so try to either give your opponent more juicy apples, or utilize cover whereever possible.

Tankbustas have enough rokkits to reach 3 figures of "weapons fired" statistics after a game (and nearly double figures for the on target ones). However they are great at close combat too. Tankhammers, and the nobs powerklaw are obviously the first thing that comes to mind. S10 tankhammers, with the great attacks orks get on the charge can really hurt a tank, but consider just saving the extra 2 or 3 rokkits to shoot at. 3 rokkits more a turn means a possible 21 a game (not likely but possible) extra rokkits. If needed in close combat, the unit has tankbusta bombs.

The Wargear

Tankbusta bombs - Pretty much looted, hand me down melta bombs. Strength 6 plus 2d6 means that it will glance AV13 on average...very good when you have 15 models all charge into a tank, hitting rear armour. Even against a dread they can deal some great damage.

Tankhammers - Because 1 attack is never enough...tank hammers give the user 3 attacks on the charge. Use 3 of these, as well as a nob with power klaw and you have multiple high strength attacks at your disposal. Tankbustas do the job yes, but tankhammers are very very good against dreadnoughts. Unlike grenedes, tankhammers are normal weapons, so we say "here you go S10 hits, using our WS of 4". Downside however, its less rokkits to shoot.

Bomb Squig - Basically think of it as a BS5 plasma weapon. If it overheats (roll a 1) you could very well suffer for it. Otherwise, its an automatic hitting rokkit launcher (if in range) which really helps. Basically its like paying 5 points for a BS5 rokkit shot once a game. I think its alright, but the problem is once all the tanks are gone, they are useless. I have finished games with these guys still jiggering around. Taking one isnt too bad, and if he does waste, its only 5 points. Also remember bomb squigs dont need a line of sight to be fired. releasing a bomb squig isnt actually shooting, so you dont have to see a target. Furthermore, its the closest vehicle within 18'', as the bird flies, so the bombsquig will climb over impassable terrain just to blow up (or will roll a 1 because he cant be bothered)

Using da tankbustas

As i stated before briefly, either entice your opponent to NOT shoot at them, or utilize cover...or both. Tankbustas are more important than the average boy to their warleader in battle plans, so they must be kept alive at all kosts, as the warboss would want it. A trukk full of slugga boyz works great for this. I dont know what it is, but everyone wants to shoot at that AV10 vehicle, when you only really need bolters to take it down. Otherwise a large mob of boyz, or a squadron or 2 of killa kans works well too. Otherwise make sure to get close to that cover, from your own units if you must.

Just remember, you MUST attempt to shoot and assault a vehicle if there is one in line of sight. I know sometimes it sounds silly to declare a charge into that unit 20 inches away, but by the rulebook you have to "attempt to assault" if they can see one. Its like a modified version of rage. Its not bad, because it doesnt say "the closest" which means that your opponent cant force you to shoot at the one much closer, unlike bomb squigs. Not all players knew this...reading the rules thrice pays dividends...

When there are no more tanks or vehicles on the field, try targeting the instant death models, or the models which are in the open whose armour save is not 2+. Shooting at crisis suit squads, marine bikers, daemons, etc is another great use for a S8 AP3 weapon, and they can earn their points back really quickly if they hang around for more shotz. Even in assault they fair as well as shoota boyz, or better if your nob has a PK, or you took tankhammers, or your against a vehicle.

Note - When declaring a waaah, be careful when running with your tankbustas, as running may put them into assault range with a walker squadron. While they might be able to beat them, it could lock them in combat for turns on end, meaning your AT power is limited for a short while. Consider not running them unless you want this to happen. Some players fall into this trap.

Using the tankbustas with the rest of da army

Tankbustas are not a stand alone unit. They require support from other units. If they get tied up in assault and you need to take out a tank, charge in with reinforcements. But dont rely on tank hunters for your only AT. Take other forms of it (power klaws, walkers, deffkoptas, even lootas to a point) because you should never rely on a unit to do its job, and if it doesnt something else hopefully can complete the task at hand.

When used in a well balanced and orientated list, tankbustas are very good units. They can be gamebreakers, pack a huge offensive punch despite being somewhat less able to recieve punishment and surviving, and have some good variety in the unit. They can suit almost any army or klan of orks, and are an excellent addition to any army. Hopefully this Ork Tactika has helped you ork players know the assets that tankbustas can bring to the table, to your army and to the battle reports.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 14:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Ork Tactika - Da Tankbustas

A nice tactica Zambia, Well done!

I plan to make myself some Tankbustas with my Bitz box, I must have about enough parts to make 11 Bustas, and mybye a few conversions can get me a tankhammer.
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 16:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not a bad writeup.

In my opinion Tankbustas are best used for assaulting vehicles, not for their shooting. I see their shooting as something they do on their way to pummel a vehicle in assault. First off, they all have tankbusta bombz which will almost assure you blow up a vehicle if it didn't move and still decent odds if it did (of course depends how far it moved). Second, tankhammers are a free trade-in and again are another way to almost guarantee penetrating hits on vehicles, not to mention S10 attacks at initiative on anything else. Tankhammers let you utilize volume of attacks. Third, tossing a PK on the Nob will just add to more ways to bust stuff in assault and give the unit some ability to hold up in combat against other things, especially if you have tankhammers in the unit.

Rokkits are assault weapons and really should be used that way, move and shoot. If you're sitting Tankbustas in terrain and relying on BS2 to bring down vehicles then you're wasting the points you spent on this unit. You're paying a premium for these guys not only for having a ton of rokkits but also for access to the tankhammers, bomb squigs and tankbusta bombz. Just using them for shooting would be like running Slugga Boyz around just to fire pistols. Taking a Looted Wagon with them isn't a bad idea, I've seen it used with great success. It gives you some safety to move into range faster to do what they do. A Battlewagon with a kannon also creates some nice synergy with the unit.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 22:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just redid my ork army - actually chose a theme instead of "various" - about 2 weeks ago i decided to go to deathskulls. I field a unit of 7 tankbustas inc nob and a bomb squig, all converted (because it cost a million bucks to buy enough metal ones) and in the 3 matches ive played theyve brought their points value back.

The problem i think i had, was my 3 games were against teams using skimmers. They obviously knew that orks built to actually tackle tanks in close combat = bad so they use that envious manouverability of theirs to keep well out of assault range, until i shoot the blasted things down.

What i dont want to do is take 3 tankhammers, and a pk in a group of 7, because then if my opponent does the whole "keep away" with his vehicles, my 3 rokkits arent going to do anything relyably. In higher points games like 1500 where ill max this squad out, i will include tankhammers there...thinking of using modified big choppas for the tankhammers.

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 02:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not a bad write up. You can only take two tankhammers though, not three. I agree with Thor that they are much better at taking on vehicles in hand to hand, but people will underestimate their shooty because of their crappy BS. I've blown up tanks and vaporized marines with that crappy BS.

I need to take some pictures of my whole unit and the two converted tankhammer boyz. I think the easiest way to make a tankhammer is to use a big choppa, spear, or piece of plasticard tubing and attach a pair of rokkits from a deffkopta on the ends. I converted three of my koptas to have big shootas so I've got a bunch of those rokkits laying around. If you glue two end to end, and then place them on the end of a stick they kind of look like an Orky thunderhammer, and appear quite killy.

I take mine in a looted wagon, and Thor I think you meant battlewagon when you said take a kannon on it. I give it red paint, a big shoota, and a ram. Move 7" if there is a tank in shooting range and blast away, or gun it and hop out and assault. I'm going to try boarding planks tomorrow too since the worst thing about charging a tank is loosing half the squad to the explosion.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2010, 09:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmm... A pack of tankbustas with bomb squigs I don't want...
Squigs are heavy...
Heavy things are good for hitting other things with...
I need something explosive to hit tanks with...
Squigs are covered in explosives...
Squighammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2010, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tankbustas are awesome.

A squad of 15 in a wagon can destroy a tank every turn with shooting. just get tankhammers, bomb squigs, and possibly a Nob for the bosspole. PK isn't that useful on the Nob.
Snikkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2010, 10:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

PK on the nob is pretty much as useful as tankhammers. You lose the rokkits anyway whether you take tankhammers or a pk, and in close combat your S9 instead of S10 on the charge with a nob, and you get an extra attack.

Also in actual combat they will hurt any opponents that try to attack it, like terminators. Hitting them with S10 rokkit hammers doesnt negate their 2+ save like our power klaw does

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 14 Feb 2010, 18:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

You should never use tankbustas against terminators. If you are you've just wasted that unit. Tankbustas are for killing tanks, and when the tanks are gone killing MEQs in the open with rokkits. They are too expensive to toss into hand to hand with units that will murder them. The only things I'd consider charging would be some monstrous creatures as the strength 10 and power claw help a lot. I once charged a nurgle daemon prince with my tankbustas and trukk boyz, and they tankhammers helped a lot.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2010, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
You should never use tankbustas against terminators. If you are you've just wasted that unit. Tankbustas are for killing tanks, and when the tanks are gone killing MEQs in the open with rokkits. They are too expensive to toss into hand to hand with units that will murder them. The only things I'd consider charging would be some monstrous creatures as the strength 10 and power claw help a lot. I once charged a nurgle daemon prince with my tankbustas and trukk boyz, and they tankhammers helped a lot.
Most people dont chuck many things in combat with terminators...usually its the terminators that charge into combat against whatever else...im just saying a power klaw is better suited should that situation come up, and its better than 1 attack in CC against tanks and dreads.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: