Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shooty Orks - Help?
Old 04 Feb 2010, 14:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Shooty Orks - Help?

I need some aid in constructing a shooty Ork army list that's entirely mechanised. I'd like to avoid combat where possible, and use it as a last resort/when the lads get carried away. I may or may not actually ever make this army, but I want to at least write a list.

In terms of heavy support I was thinking a Battlewagon with Flash Gits in and a Looted Wagon for its Boomgun, but beyond that I'd not sure how to get really shooty. Lootas seem a good choice, but if I mechanise them they can't fire due to Deffguns being a heavy weapon.

So yeah, I'm essentially trying to play Tau with Orks =/

For why I want to do this, I suggest you watch Tank Girl. The army would all be human, either in the style of Necromunda Ash Wastes or Gorkamorka Diggas. That kind of thing.

Any suggestions?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2010, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Shooty Orks - Help?

You can put Lootas in a vehicle you just can't move and shoot it but they'd technically be mechanized. You could toss them into a Battlewagon that's all decked out for dakka and just sit there.

Other shooty options would include Warbuggies/Wartrakks, Deffkoptas, Warbikers (if it doesn't break your theme) and Kans and Dreads. Most other units can be shooty, just have to give them a ride for your theme, like Shoota Boyz and Tankbustas (if you're inclined).
Old 04 Feb 2010, 14:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmmm... a very shooty ork army, the Battlewagon with Flash gits sounds a good idea.

The best way for a mek orky army is boyz with shootas and in trukks, mybye a nob leader with bosspole and big shoota.

Mek with KFF is very good for giving that protection on your vehicles, seeing as ork vehicles are very fragile.

Lootas are also good to be in the back of the line, firing at the enemies while your shootas get into range of the weak points.

Big Gunz are also very good (best you ask Thor about these, he's the only guy I know who normally uses Big Gunz in his armies).

SAG is also good, they can fire some random shots but they do have devestating results if you roll good, normally I get very good rolls (around 4-6 i get normally) but theres the random rolls where the gun explodes but then again it can instantly kill anything if you roll right.

Hope this helps you give you some ideas.
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2010, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
You can put Lootas in a vehicle you just can't move and shoot it but they'd technically be mechanized. You could toss them into a Battlewagon that's all decked out for dakka and just sit there.

Other shooty options would include Warbuggies/Wartrakks, Deffkoptas, Warbikers (if it doesn't break your theme) and Kans and Dreads. Most other units can be shooty, just have to give them a ride for your theme, like Shoota Boyz and Tankbustas (if you're inclined).
Warbikers and Koptas are an option, I'd like a small squad of Warbikers (probably Nobz because well... they're nails) mounted on choppers, but Kans and Dreads don't really fit.

Hmm...

I believe I can get two Battlewagons, a Looted Wagon and Flash Gitz by having a unit of Nobz taking a Battlewagon? I can have the Gitz in the Heavy Support Wagon, and the Lootas in the Nobz wagon? But then the Nobz would be on foot, and that instantly breaks theme...

Can the Gitz and Nobz ride together if there's enough space? I know you can put multiple units into the same transport in Apocalypse, but can you in standard 40k? That'd work better, because regardless of shooty theme, the Nobz are going to want to assault at some point and the Lootas' Wagon would be inappropriate for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
Hmmm... a very shooty ork army, the Battlewagon with Flash gits sounds a good idea.

The best way for a mek orky army is boyz with shootas and in trukks, mybye a nob leader with bosspole and big shoota.

Mek with KFF is very good for giving that protection on your vehicles, seeing as ork vehicles are very fragile.

Lootas are also good to be in the back of the line, firing at the enemies while your shootas get into range of the weak points.

Big Gunz are also very good (best you ask Thor about these, he's the only guy I know who normally uses Big Gunz in his armies).

SAG is also good, they can fire some random shots but they do have devestating results if you roll good, normally I get very good rolls (around 4-6 i get normally) but theres the random rolls where the gun explodes but then again it can instantly kill anything if you roll right.

Hope this helps you give you some ideas.
The SAG doesn't fit the theme technologically speaking, sadly. I'd like it for it's killy potential, but in terms of tech it doesn't fit. I even considered doing this army with Guard rather than Orks, but it'd feel too... well, too Guard-y. The T4 of the basic troops is egregious, yes, but I'd rather have one Toughness discrepancy and be able to have the random, ramshackle nature of the concept translated to the tabletop than have accurate Toughness and still feel like I'm just playing an Imperial Guard army. Sadly that technological issue may also rule out the KFF unless I can come up with some justification...

Big Gunz aren't fast enough to keep up, so they'd be right out.

Cheers for the advice so far guys =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Feb 2010, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

So you want everything able to move around you say? I can't really comment much more then really.

And no, it is illegal to have 2 squads in a BW, I had this arguement a few days ago and eventually my Tau ally (when we had a battle) took over my BW with Fire warriors which Ghazhkull lead and the nobs were footslogging...
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2010, 15:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Each Nob unit can take a BW as a dedicated transport and you can of course take up to 3 from the heavy slots. If you're taking a Looted Wagon then that leaves you 2 from the heavy slots.

So something like:
Flash Gits w/BW - heavy
Lootas w/BW - heavy
Looted Wagon - heavy
Nobs w/BW - dedicated
Old 04 Feb 2010, 15:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Trukks filled to the brim with shootas are very effective. I love the reactions I get when my trukks pull up right to the enemy line and I say that I'm staying in and shooting. They're ridiculously cheap and essentially have Avenger shuriken catapults. Plus two big shootas, one from the trukk and one from the squad.
Old 04 Feb 2010, 15:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Flash Gitz are a Heavy choice though, which makes things a bit harder, especially as neither Gitz nor Lootas can take a dedicated transport of any kind.

Which means I can't do it.

I can have Lootas, Nobz w/Bwagon, Gitz, Bwagon and Lwagon which is two Elites and three Heavy Supports, but no matter how I wrangle it (at least there's more options due to the actual unit the transport is bought for not necessarily needing to use the transport) someone's gonna be footslogging, which kills the theme.

Hmm.

I have a possible solution.

I may be able to justify footslogging if, rather than Nobz, it's MANZ. They take the Bwagon, but walk. Then again that cripples their effectiveness due to slow and purposeful. Gah. If I didn't take the Boomgun on the Lwagon I could use THAT to transport a mob, but the whole point of it is because of the Boomgun.

I'm retarded. (Sorry for the weird style of post, I keep getting up to look through my Codex: Orks to see if there's anything I've missed, and there frequently is).

Forget the Lwagon. Take a Bwagon with a Killkannon, which is essentially a Boomgun (it fits my purposes with its large blast template :P) and that can transport people. Job done.

Flash Gitz in Bwagon = Two Heavy Choices
Lootas in Bwagon w/Killkannon = Elite & Heavy choice

Have I missed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
So you want everything able to move around you say? I can't really comment much more then really.

And no, it is illegal to have 2 squads in a BW, I had this arguement a few days ago and eventually my Tau ally (when we had a battle) took over my BW with Fire warriors which Ghazhkull lead and the nobs were footslogging...
Cheers for the headsup I'd have just looked it up but the thread seemed fairly active so it was easier to ask than to get up and leaf through the book! It's not something I've ever wanted to do before.

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Feb 2010, 16:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I totally forget Flash Gitz were heavy. What you have looks right to me.

You can of course take Trukks with Nobz too, at least they'll have a ride, well of course unless you're taking them to get a BW in the list to trade off to another unit.
Old 05 Feb 2010, 04:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Consider deffkoptas, since they can bring much needed anti-medium and light tank killy power plus MEQ killy (TEQ if you really needed it, not recommended).

A big mek with a shokk attack gun would do well, attach him to a group of shooter boyz or lootas (boyz tend to work better)

taking a deff dread can help keep the melee off you, same with having a unit of skorchas.

A wagon with burny boyz is excellent.

Battlewagons will be your friend, bring a few and consider having a mek with KFF inside.

Now while shooty orks can work, it's best to have some melee backup around. Don't try to rely on just shooting with orks, while it can work, against some enemies you will wish you had some choppa.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote