Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mobs vs. Blasts
Old 02 Feb 2010, 15:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Mobs vs. Blasts

I will go up against a CSM player who will field a Havoc squad of 4 Missile launchers. Plus an IG of 2 squads with 4 Grenade Launchers.

As an ork player, I beseech to all of you, what can be done to save myself a world of hurt? KFF? Mad Dok?

No matter how much I see it, I think I'm going to lose a heck lot of Boyz before reaching to them. That is if I can go up against them.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Mobs vs. Blasts

Well Dobb always remember this; expect the boyz to die in droves before you reach to kill them on close combat even with the KFF. But then you need something that can shoot at those blast template guys, or better yet in conjunction with something that can hide your boyz form incoming fire.

So generally you need lots of lootas, some kanz, and even a KFF just so that more boyz will survive through the onslaught for the charge. The lootas will gun down the heavy support teams of your opponent, and the Kanz will distract some of the firepower while the KFF will provide cover saves for the kanz and also the boyz. Of course, this is provided that you want to footslog your way there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 16:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yep, you need to give the enemy enough targets that he has to prioritize. The targets you give him need to be real threats though, like the Lootas and Kans as Crisis_Vyper is saying. If you're just throwing down a lot of Boyz and not much of anything else then he's just going to mow down Boyz. Also consider sneaky units like Kommandos who can infiltrate and outflank, and Deffkoptas who can scout or outflank. These type of units can be on his back line, where he's most likely sitting with his template weapons, and disrupt them. They may not destroy the unit but if they can distract those units and tie them up then your Boyz move up much more safely.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would consider trying out my Deffkoptas, since they're sitting there and I can't find a good reason to use them. How does outflank work anyways?

I'm going to get lots of Lootas, that's my priority, if he can shoot my lootas, I can shoot him with those Deff guns. Though how useful will Killa Kans be against a horde of Kraks? I might be able to field only 1 Kans and at my guess, will be easily shot off the map.

I might consider getting Kommandos, nor Stormboyz if it gets too severe, otherwise, I'll just get more Boyz for the fight.

Even if I don't footslog them, they'll probably blow up my trukk in time. I'll get a Big Mek too later. The KFF saves will be better than none. Otherwise, how fare would SAG works?
Old 02 Feb 2010, 18:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Outflanking is covered on pg. 94 of the rulebook. In short you get to come in from reserves on a short table edge.

A single Kan won't do you any good, a squadron of 3 though would. He can fire krak shots at them and eventually bust them up but that's the thing, he's firing on the Kans not the Boyz so this is a good thing. He could choose to ignore the Kans and fire on the Boyz instead, which is fine too because Kans assaulting him will tear him up.

Trukks get blown up all the time, it's what they do best, which is why you field a bunch of Trukks, and or transports. Same thing when you foot slog Boyz, you field a bunch of them so some live to assault the enemy, transports are no different. Having a KFF in a transport goes a long way too, 50% chance to negate the glance or penetrating hit. Even if you lose the vehicle the Big Mek is in he's still giving a cover save to Boyz.

SAG is fine if you sit him back to shoot it. You have to decide if you want the Big Mek for the KFF or the SAG. Both work, just one is defensive and the other is offensive, so it's a matter of your play style.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Zzapguns! They are cheap, versitile (Yet random), and don't roll to hit :O
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 01:04   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Here's a simple suggestion: Space out your Boys. But other than that, have a lot more than Boys. You can either drown your opponent in bodies with more Boys, speed towards them with Trukks or sneak in from the sides with Kommandos.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 03:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My theory is the more boyz, the better. if you have 40 orks (Two full squads), it wont really matter if you lose two or three every now and then. Also, if you put them in trucks, then you could get to their guys faster then they could kill your orks. Make sure to space out your guys, and use the WAAAGH! ability if you think your getting close.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Dn't forget, you shouldn't bunch them up too much. Most people I get only hit 5-6 Boys with large templates. I'd imagine small ones hit 2-3 if I remember correctly. So they aren't looking at doing too much damage to the giant mobs.
Snikkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2010, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unless your are like my friend who averages 5 large pie plates a turn off 2 Medusa's... I am warning him at some point his wrist is going to snap on a die roll due to karma.
Smoke Checked is offline   Reply With Quote