Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help vs. Space Marines
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help vs. Space Marines

We have been playing mostly smaller games, like 1000 points recently to save some time, and one guy has made this really stupid SM list.

Pedro

10 Tactical Marines, plasma cannon

10 Tactical Marines, plasma cannon

6 sternguard

2 Vindicators

Whirlwind

Heres the stupid part, he basically sits back and never moves the whole game until the end when he uses the tanks to block off objectives and contest (Eldar?)

Anyway I wanted to know the best way to deal with this (very) unbalanced looking army with the Orks.

People have a tendency to tailor against me (look at the list again) so I have no shame in doing it to them once >

my list currently is

Big mek

3x30 boys

15 kommandoes, snikrot and burnas

would this work?
Snikkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help vs. Space Marines

It could work, but I'd take out a few boys to get some buzzsaw koptas. If you get first turn you can peel open those tanks. Snikrot works great against any army that sits back. Be careful when you deploy him though his squad can't take out two tactical squads by themselves. Try and come in on the edges of his deployment and use his tanks to shield you from return fire. Be sure your boyz squads are running every round and staying spread out to avoid blast damage.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't see that army as particulary tailored against you, or abusive. It looks like pretty straightforeward aggressive defense to me. Be glad its Marines doing it instead of Tau. I'm not going to tell you which big game-winning character or unit to take because that isn't tactics just deck stacking.

I would think the tanks are your big problem because of how he is (intelligently) using them as blockers. Make it an early game priority to knock out those nasty vindi cannons and the rest should fall into place for your boyz. You have him outnumbered for cc by a long shot you just have to figure out how to nix his pie plates as you approach. Some fast attack or a long range hitter (zapp gun or some tankbustas maybe? or a widdle stormboy mob with a powerclaw to hit rear armor?). His infantry isn't your problem as you get closer, his tanks are by creating roadblocks which are a big pain in the butt for a footslogging army, so find some way of whacking his tanks early and you should do much better. Good luck to you.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

one major problem that everyone else seems to have left out are the plasma cannons. my friend who plays marines found a way to incorperate 8 into 1 part of his army, and then uses them to make a sweeping flank attack. 8 blast templates a turn hurts. a lot.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 01:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well im starting to think my current build could do quite well 3 ordenance blasts + orbital bombardment sounds really powerful against orks but I have 90 orks and he has 20 tactical marines. Add in snikrot to takes out something from behind and the odds are in my favor.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you really want to beat him I know of a nasty list a guy at my hobby store uses. As many ork boys as possible with power klaw in each, a truck with about 7 burna boys and probably a boss with power klaw. I don't the exact number but he has 4 squad of boys with like 20+ in them.

Your oppoent will not have enough to shoot at each indivdual squad becuase he would be wasting shots and even if he spreads his blast templates out you still have a shit load of guys. If bumrush him he will die, I guarntee it.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well this isn't exactly a win at all costs situation, i'ts just that his list has been doing well and I wanted the satisfaction of being the first one to beat it ;D

Still I like that idea, sounds like a cool list.

Burnas will no doubt cause damage, even with only 7 of them.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 05:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

haha alright it's just a suggestion that's all. Also 7 flamer templates coming from an armoured truck on one spot is very effective way of getting ride of marines. He can't make armour saves forever >
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 10:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well, actually, statistically, he can. thats why, you should forget the templates and assault (power weapons!). this is much more effective against power armor.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mek metalgutz
well, actually, statistically, he can. thats why, you should forget the templates and assault (power weapons!). this is much more effective against power armor.

Statistically? Statistically 7 burnas can cause nearly 20 wounds. Saturation is a good way of killing MEQs. I think my 100 or so boys are enough though. I'd like a bit more anti tank.