Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Da Green Tide
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Da Green Tide

So iv'e been experimenting with different Ork lists recently and while I may get some vehicles and play an Ork list with them someday, for now I wanted to verify the validity of the classic ork list, Da Green Tide :P WAAAGH! (maybe)

So this list, simply with 180 Buys and not much else, was immensely popular when the codex was first released, due the the extremely cheap ork boy.

There was no way to stop this from hitting you. Even the IG would struggle with all there firepower, and they had to mech up to survive(more on that later).

Seriously 180 orks? Vulkan has nothing on that.

Unfortunately, Mechanised lists became all the rage and it became difficult to do as well with this list. With out any effective means of anti-tank besides Power klaws.

But why, long after people discovered the awesomeness that is Lootas, and to some extent, killa kans, would they not go back to this list?

I have no idea and want to find out. Couldn't you just have 30-45 Lootas and a ton of boys, with the lootas blowing up tranports left and right, and the boys bogging down the foe to no end.

Indeed, you could have 150 orks and 45 lootas at 2000 points, but nothing else besides HQs of course. Thatsa little boring but doesn't it sound optimized?

What about Ghazghull? Turn 2 assault guaranteed(most of the time)

What do you all think of a pure footslogging list? In terms of tournaments people mostly use mixed Ork lists. I like this idea a lot more, even though i love vehicles, I'd have to have a fully mechanised army to want that wich I dont have the models for yet, but i have a lot of boys.
Snikkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 23:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Da Green Tide

i am an ork player who prefers to field a balance of orks and vehicles, but ive played team apocalypse games where ive fielded over 500 boyz (it was a really big game), and found the tides to be the most effective part of the army. the only problem is, is that if your opponent concentrates all his fire on ur boys, they will be wiped out very quickely. tanks are a big problem, which is why I like to equip my squads w/ rokkit launchas, which are more effective then many think. for beginners, a green tide is a good idea, but be sure to bolster it with some armored support at the vital points.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

and keep in mind that fielding 150 boyz in 1000points may be considered "cheesy" to most players...

mind you - guard used to be able to field 200 models:
4 squads of 50 conscripts
4 commisars standing behind them saying "your not going anywhere"

I take a bit of everything. When you take vehicles AND mobs of 30 orks, your enemies hammerhead has to choose to shoot at the armour 14 battlewagon, or the 30 boyz running towards you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2010, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The green tide is viable, but you have to be careful! My IG list has killed a few green tide lists for lack of speed. 5e IG doesn't really have much to fear from 180 boyz anymore with all the ordnance and the awesomeness of FRFSRF.

Even though it's losing some of it's viability, it's still incredibly fun to play! It looks very epic to see so many models on the field, and it's great for a psychological edge over your opponent.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2010, 14:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia

I take a bit of everything. When you take vehicles AND mobs of 30 orks, your enemies hammerhead has to choose to shoot at the armour 14 battlewagon, or the 30 boyz running towards you.
So do i Lord, combinations of these actually are very brutal if played right.

But yeah, footslogging I do prefer more over transported orks, I only place like 70 ork models and 3 vehicles and thats enough to scare people who know not much about orks and say "Oh my god! that's a lot!"

Just remember that there are consequences, which is why I have vehicles aswell.
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2010, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

swarm armies are usually most affective in close combat, but i recently wrote up a (mostly) gretchin list that fields about 180 gretchin, with a lot of heavy stuff, and it dominated my friends marines in an objective match, and then went on to beat tau in a kill point game. mostly though, you've got to either have vehicles to transport, or have some sort of screen to give them a cover save.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

180 gretchin are fine, but not if they come under pinning fire, or have to take a morale check :P

Jasonsea, usually players take transporting orks as a decoy. If you have 30 footslogger slugga boys with a pk nob, and a trukk of 12 boyz with a pk nob, the enemy has to shoot down the trukk and the boys, or face being uber charged in turn 2 (or in rare occasions turn 1) This means your footslogging boyz will not get as much fire, but make sure if they are assault boys, assault with them. If you want them in combat, run on a turn where you know you need more distance "eg turn 1 and 2," then declare a waah turn 3 if u need that little bit extra to get that mob into combat.

Nasty tanks have template weapons. Vindicators, hammerheads, fire prisms all obliterate dozens of orks a turn. This means you need something to either take them out quick, or something for them to shoot at.

With long range artillary, such as hammerheads and fire prisms, take a looted wagon or a deff dread. If you put a boomgun on the wagon, or 3 close combat weapons and a skorcha on the dread, your opponent will try and shoot everything at it. Just make sure they are equipt with upgrades (armour plates to keep them moving, grot riggers for repair jobs, etc) so they distract AT weapons for longer.

For vindicators, demolishers, etc i suggest deffkoptas. If you have first turn, move 24" as your scout move, then turn 1 move 12", shoot TL rokkits, then assault (make sure 1 at least has a buzz saw)

Alternatly, take a 5 man nob biker team, which will attract fire, or kill everything. Include a painboy for extra lasting skills.

And if you want say 3 or 4 mobs of 30 boyz, take a big mek with KFF and join him to an ork unit. This means he cant be targeted individually, and most boyz around him get a 5+ cover save. Very handy against anything thats AP6 or better. (Non lasgun weapons)

Hope this helps

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 09:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nice advise, but isn't this Snikkyd's Post? :P

I use probably almost every tactic you say, works very well I must say.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 11:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
Nice advise, but isn't this Snikkyd's Post? :P
Well he is allowed to take the advice too, but it was Jasonsea that asked the question. What i post is advice for anyone who reads it

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 29 Jan 2010, 11:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you read it, it's not actually a question, but no matter were going off topic...