Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Never played orks before. Want to try
Old 25 Jan 2010, 23:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Never played orks before. Want to try

The title says it all. I am planing to start an ork force and would welcome any suggestions for an ork noob. I plan to get some Boyz and my friend has some old bitz and some mega armor that he says I can have. On a budget where should I go with this.
kingofmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 02:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Never played orks before. Want to try

1: Read everything in the stickies here first.

2: If you still want to play Orks, but the codex and reread it a few times.

3: Decide what type of army you want to play (speed freaks, footsloggers, stompy mek).

4: Start buying models. Get AOBR (assault on black reach) first, then a box of nobs, then another AOBR. Sell/trade the Space Marines away for more Orks.

5: Get some plasticard, files, scalpel, glue, greenstuff, and imagination and start hacking apart those AOBR Orks and make the force you want.

6: Post here with any other questions.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 06:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Buying 2 AOBR sets and a box of nobz doesnt work in say a speed freaks army.

Decide your army before you start buying, so get the codex and write say a couple of lists from 1000 to 2000 to give you an idea.

If you want to "focus" on orks, say instead of running 3 to 4 armies, make orks a main army with lots of variety, you can build up all types of ork armies, give your opponents something different so your not always known as the "ork biker" or the "tin can" style for every game :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You might also want to consider what opposing armies you are most likely to face. If your friends play with anything other than Tyranids you will probably be able to outnumber them and beat them in assaults. Orks like this tactic anyway, so you will be fluff compatible with a close combat tactic.

(If you are going to fight a lot of Tyranids then I would recommend keeping your distance. No one wants to be close to those guys.)

The big problem with a close combat army of orks is that of being shot down before you get to your enemy. So, if you build a close combat army you will want to find ways to get to the enemy lines quickly. My brother plays orks, and I personally hate his stormboyz as they close very quickly on my troops. (They can also be upgraded to be half decent anti-vehicle units.) Trucks can get you to the enemy quickly too as can bikes and def koptas.
Another way to fix the problem of getting shot down before you engage in close combat is with sheer numbers. Get lots and lots of guys and resign yourself to the fact that you are going to lose lots of them in the battle. Then just keep running toward the enemy while jumping over bodies of your dead ork boyz, and you will still crush him under a wave of green. (Or whatever color you decide to paint your boyz.)
Good luck with whatever tactic you pick. Orks are fun.
archer_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

AOBR is the best place to start for just about any Ork army. If you bought two sets and traded the Space Marines for equal parts Orks you'd end up with the list below, and with some converting you can make whatever you want.

4 warbosses
80 boyz
20 nobs
12 deffkoptas

Speed freaks:
Warboss on a bike
KFF big mek
5X trukk boys with pk nob
trukk mounted nob squad
nob bikers
deffkoptas
kommandos/stormboys/burnas/lootas/flash gitz/meganobs....whatever you want to convert

Not to mention you can sell/trade away any of the models you don't want. There really is no cheaper way to get an Ork army.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 10:30   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
AOBR is the best place to start for just about any Ork army. If you bought two sets and traded the Space Marines for equal parts Orks you'd end up with the list below, and with some converting you can make whatever you want.
One AOBR box is more than necessary, and you do not need that much AOBR sets because;

1)The idea of medium-difficulty conversion can be a little daunting for someone who had just started in the hobby and thus it is generally not a wise idea to let them convert stuff so early. These kinds of things need time and the willingness to desecrate models to make them better and even then some people will never pull it off, even with orks.

2)You would want some of your units to look different from each other, especially warbosses and nobs where you want to have more though on how to make them unique rather than mass-produced. The mass-produced look is rather nice for the normal boyz, but in the end, you will still have to get the normal boyz to allow for you to have more customization.

3) The fact that they still provide you with some units that you wil never like once you playtest them. Some people love sluggas, some people hate them with a passion and opt for shootas. Some people love deffkoptas, and others like me do not see the need for them other than the sake for collection.

Thus it is often imperative that one get just one AOBR set and then test out the things and proxy the use of the units in the codex to see what works for you. Which brings us to this point;

Quote:
Not to mention you can sell/trade away any of the models you don't want. There really is no cheaper way to get an Ork army.
Generally the trade for AOBR stuff is kinda lesser than what a normal box of the same unit would comprise. For example, it is generally much more worthwhile to trade a squad of 10 non-AOBR boyz than a squad of 10 AOBR orks for the simple fact that the the AOBR varieties are not that great, and also the fact that they are essentially part of a big box release which definitely drops the price down for any kind of trade or sale. Of course the exception would be made for things that are uniquely found in the AOBR set, which are essentially these four units; Warboss, Captain, Multi-Melta dread, and the Deffkoptas. But even then it would not be that much of a difference as one might thought.

Personally, I would suggest that one get one AOBR box, 1 Ork Megaforce, 1 Nob box, 2 boxes of Loota/Burnas, and if you can squish in the cash, one Ork battleforce. This would give you a rather solid list for any kind of Ork list since you can model a whole lot of options without the need of cutting models and scratch-building at times.

Anything else beyond that point is just a matter of preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I am doing this on a slow budget. My friend gave me 5 or six boyz. I'm building a loota out of an old Tiger I model kit that I found in my attic the instructions had superglue spilled all over them. Then I will get some boyz probably sluggaz. After that I plan to buy a boss and hit the dollar store for some parts to build a trukk. Then a some more boys. I think that this would work for the skirmishes I tend to play until I can get more and get a good size force. Would that work well for a small start?
Old 01 Feb 2010, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Did you get the codex yet, because without that it will be really hard to make up lists, and know the rules for the Orks. The AOBR small rulebook and templates can be bought on Ebay for ~$10-14. If you don't want to spend the money to get the entire AOBR set, you can still buy just the boys from Ebay pretty cheaply.

Start by getting a combat patrol ready.Its a 400 point small game with limited units allowed. I entered a combat patrol tournament and brought a big mek, two trukks full of boys, and eight lootas. Its a good way to learn the rules and figure out what type of army you want to play.
Old 01 Feb 2010, 02:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've got a digital version one of my friends scanned for me just the basic rule pages and such so I could tell if i liked the army before I bought anything and make a basic list. I am planning to purchase the codex when i have a few units already built before I start skirmishing.