Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mawloc killing nobs
Old 20 Jan 2010, 07:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis
Default Mawloc killing nobs

with new nid dex out my boyz in the army are having night mares because i don't know when they come out to use that terror from the deep ability and brakingthem up and killing alot of my boyz in process. how should i counter this irratating MC
Old 20 Jan 2010, 11:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Marloc killing nobs

Hi ARCHER,
Actually it's not as bad as you think.
The Mawloc is a bit nasty, with its big pie-plate as it comes in, but if you look at it's stats... it's not so bad. I'm not sure if you recieve cover saves for it, but if that's likely, then your Boyz covered by KFF will do fine. Even if they don't, then that MC is going to be sitting in the middle of a field of Boyz for at least a turn. That's right. The Mawloc can't immediately go underground, as it has to wait a turn before it can go down again. If you keep your PK where it can assault, you'll do fine.
As for it killing loads of Nobz, I'd advise just keeping your Nobz in a Wagon or Trukk and then waiting for the Mawloc to hit. Just don't centralize your Mates, and you should do fine.
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the Mawloc is a prime example as to why Nobz need Cybork upgrade.
It also does not appear that the Mawloc will be able to affect things on the upper floors of buildings, so remember to keep the Lootas upstairs if at all possible.
You can also bait the Mawloc fairly easily, as I can see it being used to try and peel Boyz off of objectives. Leaving a squad of say... Grots on an objective is just asking for Mawloc insertion.
I'm more worried about the Mawloc as a 5th round contester, as he could easily move vehicles off objectives!

Best,
-BT

Edit: The Mawloc has Hit and Run (so be careful), but only 3 attacks. So he's not doing a whole lot.
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 13:40   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
I'm more worried about the Mawloc as a 5th round contester, as he could easily move vehicles off objectives!
Damn I hadn't even thought of that. You just have to pray he drifts alot because there isn't any way to stop him from DSing right on your objectives at the end of the game.

... Well short of shooting the living shit out of him before the end of the game. >
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 15:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nox:
Well, I'm then... uh... not so happy that I put that option out there then
Although, I'm sure other people would have thought of it very soon as well.
It's another reason why not to have the +1 to reserves roll from your Hive Tyrant, as you really want the Mawloc to pop up Turn 3.
Why?
Mawloc pops up Turn 3, kills some things. People shoot at him. Probably won't kill him in a single turn unless they really devote a lot of firepower (which may or may not be alive by Turn 3). Or you know, if you have two of them...
Mawloc waits around for Turn 4. Probably using Hit and Run if he doesn't like the combat.
Mawloc reburrows and takes objective Turn 5. If you have two of them alive, you've pretty much won any objective mission, as you pretty much can contest 2, even with minor drift, as he's just SO BIG.

I can see people putting objectives up on top of buildings to keep them 3" away from him or close to impassable terrain so he'll worry about a mishap. Or near the edge of a table.
Which means to say that the Mawloc should be very good for drawing fire as you HAVE to take them down or you're really in trouble.

Best,
-BT
Old 20 Jan 2010, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis

The main reason i have trouble is because i use meganobs to kill off other monstrous creatures that like the tervigon or tyrant and to surrive all the dakka from hive guard str 8 ap4 shots.
Old 20 Jan 2010, 21:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Mawloc killing nobs

ARCHER:
Ah!
Then you'll have to try and bait the Mawloc then.
He can't burrow immediately, so you'll have to try and take him down in a few rounds.
Put out something tasty but decent in numbers (like a good sized mob) or small and forgettable (like grots), and put everything else in DS danger positions (i.e. board edges, near dangerous terrain and such). The Mawloc has to come in, and he won't want to waste any pop-up opportunities.
He'll probably pop up near units like Lootas or Burnas if you give it a chance.
As soon as it lands, roll the MANZ up (hopefully in a Trukk) and then unleash hell on them. If you use 4 (put half as kombi-skorchas), you can reliably do about 7-8 PK wounds on him which should bring him down. Then get back in the Trukk, zip to an edge and see if he'll do it again

Best,
-BT
Old 21 Jan 2010, 03:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Remember that most of the time you have to keep objectives 12" from the board edge, so that won't work. Good idea on sticking them in a building, and that's where I'd put my lootas too; though I'm not sure I'll take lootas against tyranids and instead use tankbustas.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 03:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True enough in seize ground!
I'm also interested to see if Tankbustas will be more common with the new Nids.
Heavens knows that having access to so much in the way of S8 AP3 is going to be helpful...

Best,
-BT
Old 21 Jan 2010, 03:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I know I'll be using my tankbustas against the bugz. Since I finally finished their looted wagon I can play them without proxying with a hammerhead. Does the new drop pod/spore count as a vehicle or does it have a toughness value? Can't wait to play against the new nids. I really need to convert up a couple skorcha buggies.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 04:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As strange as it may seem, the new "Spore Pod" is actually a kind of MC.
Yes I know, it does sort of change the options, doesn't it?
Wait... does that mean you can Tank shock them?

Best,
-BT