Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

'Ard Boy questions
Old 10 Jan 2010, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 'Ard Boy questions

Midway in the process of building/painting my boys, I noticed that now I have enough armor bits to make a mob of 'Ard Boys [double shoulder pads and iron gobs) if I want to... and I WANT to! I'm liking the football player look. But with only 1 allowed per army, and me being a new Orky player, I have some questions about them and their roles on the tabletop:

-Slugga or Shoota 'Ard Boys? [I still have no solid idea here]

-Footslogging mob with armor to advance under weak fire? -or armored trukk boys? [I think trukk boys, to minimize the extra cost]

-Armored assaulty? or home objective holding shooty? [could go either way here]

-Worth the cost with minimal trukk sized mob? or better in 20-30 'Ard boy mobs? [again- minimizing extra cost may outweigh 'power of numbers']

-EVER used as "screening cover" providers.. with the 'Ard Boys out front? [makes me lean back towards a big mob of 'Ard boys]

-extra cost of stikkbombs ever a good idea? [I guess stikkbomb chucka solves this Q if theyre trukkboys]

Etc. Etc. Those kinda questions. How are 'Ard Boys best, or worst used?
Old 10 Jan 2010, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: 'Ard Boy questions

I like the close combat 'ard boyz in a Battle Wagon. You can fit 20 in there, and you still get the 13"+2"+D6"+6" range with the added bonus of front armor 14. A major plus to them is that if you loose combat, it wont be by as much with the regular boyz, and less boyz will die from no retreat. I'd use them to kill termies, because 20*4 is a LOT of attacks, even if some die before you attack. Ard boyz are relatively cheap for a 4+ armor save, and are equally as fast.

Shoota Ard Boyz seems almost wasteful. You'll be shooting out of your transport, so a 4+ means almost nothing. Footslogging boyz is a bad idea unless you play a "I have 180 boyz and they are all footslogging. TRY and shoot them all" kind of army, and you would use them to screen your regular old Boyz.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like to stick a unit of 19 ard boy and a boss in a battle wagon with deffrolla, armour plates and kannon to act as a intimidating spearhead to the army as they will last for quite some time in CC when they get their and the large unit ensure you haven't wasted the lower cost on a small unit.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hi there fairly new to orks myself i was wondering the distance you mentioned 13+2+d6+6? can a fast open topped transpost go say flat out with a red paint job 18+2 and do they recieve their normal moventment rate plus the 6 inch assualt?i really like his idea of ard boyz in a trukk and i need some clarifaction on the open topped assualt rules
Lattakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:19   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I use them as a smaller version of a Nob squad and charge them into my opponents average squads. Why average? They take one hell of an effort to shift thanks to their armour. If they are accompnied by mad dokk grotsnik then I'd be betting that they would be there for the remainder of the game.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattakay
hi there fairly new to orks myself i was wondering the distance you mentioned 13+2+d6+6? can a fast open topped transpost go say flat out with a red paint job 18+2 and do they recieve their normal moventment rate plus the 6 inch assualt?i really like his idea of ard boyz in a trukk and i need some clarifaction on the open topped assualt rules
You can not disembark if you go flat out. The 13+2+d6+6 is for Red Paint Trukk movement + Disembark 2" + Running + Assault range.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Quote:
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thak you for clarifing that for me thats still not too bad of an assualt range
Lattakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you take a Warphead you can do that first turn.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play smaller games, so mine are in a Trukk with the Boss. I tries to minimise the effect of the added cost, but still have an effective unit. I found that 'ard boys on foot quickly found themselves Whirlwind bait when I proxied them, so i went the Trukk route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you use Trukks, Id recommend a Big Mek with a KFF. It's the best 85 points you will ever spend. a 6" radius that extends from the hull of the vehicle you are in (of you're in one) all units in that 6" have a 5+ cover, and vehicles get a 4+ cover.
Quote:
Quote: