Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gretchens
Old 07 Jan 2010, 15:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Gretchens

Hi Guys,

I have a fairly decent sized ork army, not sure of the points value off the top of my head and i have never though about taking these little guys before, mainly cos there small and puny!
Can anyone tell me the main benefits of using them? Is it just cannon fodder so the rest of your army can get into CC or are they actually good at anything?

Thanks,
Elliot2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2010, 15:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Gretchens

Well, they're dirt cheap for starters and are a troop choice. I use them as a home objective grabber. I put them in reserves and when they arrive they head for the nearest objective to sit. In a larger mob they're great at being a tarpit. Throw them at an enemy's Dreadnought and you've tied that thing up for the rest of the game, it just can't kill 30 Grots and a Slaver in 5-7 game turns. They can hold down a unit of Termies, monstrous creatures, etc. using the same principle. You can even get lucky with their shooting on the way in and score some fun kills. Oh, they also can serve well as a mobile cover save for your Boyz. Put them in front and march the Boyz behind them for the 4+ cover save.
Old 07 Jan 2010, 15:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

is 30 the max for one unit? how many units do you suggest?

Ooh.....might have to resist the urge to go to GW on the way home from work!
Elliot2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2010, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

30 Grots, yep, which means you need 3 Runtherds in there. So the unit sits at 33 models and you get that for just 120pts.

How many units or how many per-unit depends on what you want to use them for. If they're going to be a tarpit or mobile cover then I'd run no less than 20 of them in a unit. How many units in that case would depend on the rest of your army. If you want them to just sit on objectives then you can run them smaller. I run mine this way at 10 Grots. They'll get beat down if assaulted but they hold up to shooting since I put them in area terrain and just go to ground for the 3+ save.